XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by <vdi.. » Sat, 25 May 2002 00:49:17

XSkinExp for 3DMax 4.0 not correctly saves the information
about tiles (U, V coordinates).

Should be:
  MeshTextureCoords {
   25;
   0.000000;1.000000;,
   1.250000;1.000000;,
   2.500000;1.000000;,
   3.750000;1.000000;,
   5.000000;1.000000;,

Saves:
    MeshTextureCoords {
     25;
     0.000000;1.000000;,
     0.250000;1.000000;,
     0.500000;1.000000;,
     0.750000;1.000000;,
     1.000000;1.000000;,

How to correct an error of microsoft?

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Aaron Knol » Mon, 27 May 2002 04:18:06

I'm getting the exact same problem. It completely ruins my
x-file exports, meaning I have to revert to conv3ds for
everything.

Microsoft, PLEASE fix this, for the love of all that is
good and holy.

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MV » Mon, 27 May 2002 04:38:32

Quote:>How to correct an error of microsoft?

They give you the source for the exporters.  If you can identify the
problem in the exporters, you can fix it for the benefit of yourself
and then share the fix for the benefit of others.

I don't have any of these expensive modelers so I can't offer specific
advice.
  Direct3D Book http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer
            http://izfree.sourceforge.net

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Eric DeBrosse [MS MVP » Tue, 28 May 2002 07:38:39

Can you describe this problem a little more?  How does one reproduce the
problem you are having.  What tools are you using in 3ds to set your texture
coordinates?  Does the SDK mesh viewer display your files properly?

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

Quote:> XSkinExp for 3DMax 4.0 not correctly saves the information
> about tiles (U, V coordinates).

> Should be:
>   MeshTextureCoords {
>    25;
>    0.000000;1.000000;,
>    1.250000;1.000000;,
>    2.500000;1.000000;,
>    3.750000;1.000000;,
>    5.000000;1.000000;,

> Saves:
>     MeshTextureCoords {
>      25;
>      0.000000;1.000000;,
>      0.250000;1.000000;,
>      0.500000;1.000000;,
>      0.750000;1.000000;,
>      1.000000;1.000000;,

> How to correct an error of microsoft?

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Stephan Bedar » Wed, 29 May 2002 04:31:41

The mesh coordinates are different then vdiduk's, but I'm pretty sure it's
the same problem.

The basic problem is when I try to tile textures using UVW coordinates
larger then one, they somehow get lost in the export.

I put up some rendered screenshots that illustrate the problem at
http://www.geocities.com/jadis_oes/ .

I'll be looking through the thousands of lines of code in the exporter
tomorrow (my wife will kill me if she finds me working on my vacation).

If someone could tell me which function handles the UV coordiante exports, I
would be very appreciative.

And of course if someone solves this problem before then, I will also be
appreciative.

Stephan Bedard

> Can you describe this problem a little more?  How does one reproduce the
> problem you are having.  What tools are you using in 3ds to set your
texture
> coordinates?  Does the SDK mesh viewer display your files properly?

> --
> Eric DeBrosse
> http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
program
> does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > XSkinExp for 3DMax 4.0 not correctly saves the information
> > about tiles (U, V coordinates).

> > Should be:
> >   MeshTextureCoords {
> >    25;
> >    0.000000;1.000000;,
> >    1.250000;1.000000;,
> >    2.500000;1.000000;,
> >    3.750000;1.000000;,
> >    5.000000;1.000000;,

> > Saves:
> >     MeshTextureCoords {
> >      25;
> >      0.000000;1.000000;,
> >      0.250000;1.000000;,
> >      0.500000;1.000000;,
> >      0.750000;1.000000;,
> >      1.000000;1.000000;,

> > How to correct an error of microsoft?

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Craig Peeper [MS » Wed, 29 May 2002 04:41:24

exportxfile.cpp: 965
            fX = (fX > 1.0f) ? 1.0f : ((fX < 0.0f) ? 0.0f : fX);
            fY = (fY > 1.0f) ? 1.0f : ((fY < 0.0f) ? 0.0f : fY);

            fX = (fX * rgCropInfo[iMaterial].fClipW) +
rgCropInfo[iMaterial].fClipU;
            fY = (fY * rgCropInfo[iMaterial].fClipH) +
rgCropInfo[iMaterial].fClipV;

You can change this to not take crop information into account.  The real
"fix" is to disallow crops to (0, 0, 1, 1) and just do a pass through in
that case.
This will probably be changed in the Beta 2 of DX9.  The only bug fixes to
Beta 1 was the TVERTS flag and two normal generation issues.

Craig Peeper
Microsoft, Direct3D

Quote:> XSkinExp for 3DMax 4.0 not correctly saves the information
> about tiles (U, V coordinates).

> Should be:
>   MeshTextureCoords {
>    25;
>    0.000000;1.000000;,
>    1.250000;1.000000;,
>    2.500000;1.000000;,
>    3.750000;1.000000;,
>    5.000000;1.000000;,

> Saves:
>     MeshTextureCoords {
>      25;
>      0.000000;1.000000;,
>      0.250000;1.000000;,
>      0.500000;1.000000;,
>      0.750000;1.000000;,
>      1.000000;1.000000;,

> How to correct an error of microsoft?

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Eric DeBrosse [MS MVP » Wed, 29 May 2002 04:54:55

OK, I tried this again on max 3.1 and max 4.2.  Sorry, but I can in fact
tile my textures.  I always have been able to.

One very important thing: did you collapse the modifier stack after setting
the UV coordinates?  The exporter will not go through all of your modifiers
and combine them.  So, only the base object (the box) will get exported -
not the UV mapping.  If you want to save your modifier stack for later
editing, you must save a max file before the collapse.

I used the exporter from the SDK, with the changes documented on my web
site.  The exporter was recompiled with the max SDK for each version of max
I tried this on.  For example, don't try to use the R4 exporter with R4.2
without first recompiling.

I'll continue looking at this more, but right now I'm not sure where your
trouble is stemming from.

I hear there is a 4.26 of max out now, I'll have to ask my buddy if he has
done the upgrade yet so I can do more testing.  Maybe the problem is only
with the newset version of max, I don't know.

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> The mesh coordinates are different then vdiduk's, but I'm pretty sure it's
> the same problem.

> The basic problem is when I try to tile textures using UVW coordinates
> larger then one, they somehow get lost in the export.

> I put up some rendered screenshots that illustrate the problem at
> http://www.geocities.com/jadis_oes/ .

> I'll be looking through the thousands of lines of code in the exporter
> tomorrow (my wife will kill me if she finds me working on my vacation).

> If someone could tell me which function handles the UV coordiante exports,
> would be very appreciative.

> And of course if someone solves this problem before then, I will also be
> appreciative.

> Stephan Bedard

> > Can you describe this problem a little more?  How does one reproduce the
> > problem you are having.  What tools are you using in 3ds to set your
> texture
> > coordinates?  Does the SDK mesh viewer display your files properly?

> > --
> > Eric DeBrosse
> > http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> > Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> > The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> > do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
> program
> > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > > XSkinExp for 3DMax 4.0 not correctly saves the information
> > > about tiles (U, V coordinates).

> > > Should be:
> > >   MeshTextureCoords {
> > >    25;
> > >    0.000000;1.000000;,
> > >    1.250000;1.000000;,
> > >    2.500000;1.000000;,
> > >    3.750000;1.000000;,
> > >    5.000000;1.000000;,

> > > Saves:
> > >     MeshTextureCoords {
> > >      25;
> > >      0.000000;1.000000;,
> > >      0.250000;1.000000;,
> > >      0.500000;1.000000;,
> > >      0.750000;1.000000;,
> > >      1.000000;1.000000;,

> > > How to correct an error of microsoft?

XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

Post by Stephan Bedar » Wed, 29 May 2002 06:46:12

Well, I feel like an idiot. right clicking on my UVW Mapping gizmo allowed
me to collapse the modifier stack (like in your tutorial) and export my
tiles perfectly. I was trying to collapse the modifier stack from the tools
menu (probably not the same thing).

Just so I understand what it is I'm doing, what is the modifier stack?

> [...]

> > would be very appreciative.

> > And of course if someone solves this problem before then, I will also be
> > appreciative.

> > Stephan Bedard

> > > Can you describe this problem a little more?  How does one reproduce
the
> > > problem you are having.  What tools are you using in 3ds to set your
> > texture
> > > coordinates?  Does the SDK mesh viewer display your files properly?

> > > --
> > > Eric DeBrosse
> > > http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> > > Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> > > The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> > > do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
> > program
> > > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with

Post by Eric DeBrosse [MS MVP » Wed, 29 May 2002 07:01:49

Quote:> Just so I understand what it is I'm doing, what is the modifier stack?

I'm no expert at max.  I've just simply been trying to help with all of the
exporter problems.  My understanding of the modifier stack is that it's like
the Adobe Photoshop "layers" feature.  You can easily edit a modifier at the
bottom of the stack and it's result will filter through to all objects above
it in the stack.  Once the objects in the stack are collapsed, you are only
left with the resultant mesh object.  It's only there to make editing and
changing mesh properties easier.

--
> [...]

> program
> > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > > The mesh coordinates are different then vdiduk's, but I'm pretty sure
> it's
> > > the same problem.

> > > The basic problem is when I try to tile textures using UVW coordinates
> > > larger then one, they somehow get lost in the export.

> > > I put up some rendered screenshots that illustrate the problem at
> > > http://www.geocities.com/jadis_oes/ .

> > > I'll be looking through the thousands of lines of code in the exporter
> > > tomorrow (my wife will kill me if she finds me working on my
vacation).

> > > If someone could tell me which function handles the UV coordiante
> exports,
> > > would be very appreciative.

> > > And of course if someone solves this problem before then, I will also

1. Problem with XFile exporter

Greetings all. . .ive been trying to use Microsoft's XFile exporter
for Maya 3 and everytime i go to the plug in manager and try to load
it, i get the following message:

The procedure entry point DirectXFileCreate could not be located in
the dynamic link library d3dxof.dll.

Ive been through and confirmed that the d3dxof file does exist and
have gone so far as to try and replace it with different versions but
that doesnt seem to help.  Does anyone have any ideas about what else
i could try short of having to redownload and reinstall SP6a?

2. Signal/noise and sampling...

3. xskinexp.dle exporting textures + animation as text file

4. Changing Palettes

5. To solve XSkinExp problems

6. Baseball Texture, I cant find it..why??

7. About the problems arising when working with XSkinExp exporter

8. ANNOUNCE: 00/08/15 Release of RADBIB.BIB Global Illumination Bibliography

9. XSkinExp problem with textures

10. xskinexp problem

11. xfiles and collision detection

12. xfiles dummy nodes