Restricted Camera Movement

Post by Craig Barn » Wed, 21 May 2003 23:21:01

I am looking into how to restrict the camera movement. I.E I don't
want it
to move too far away or too close to particular scenes. I'm note sure
how to
do this. I was thinking of using a engine attached to position and
orientation, but am unsure if I can route the output of a engine back
to the same field as the engine's input.

Any idea on how to do this?

Craig Barnes
IVR, Inc.

Post by Craig Barn » Sun, 25 May 2003 07:25:29

> I am looking into how to restrict the camera movement. I.E I don't
> want it
> to move too far away or too close to particular scenes. I'm note sure
> how to
> do this. I was thinking of using a engine attached to position and
> orientation, but am unsure if I can route the output of a engine back
> to the same field as the engine's input.

> Any idea on how to do this?

> Craig Barnes
> IVR, Inc.

I guess I will answer my own question. All I basically did was to
derive my own ExaminerViewer and instance my own versions of zoom,
pan, SoProcessEvent, etc.
Seems to work fine.

Craig Barnes
IVR, Inc.

1. restricting dragger movement

Hello, all.

I'm relatively new to Open Inventor, but I've read most of The Inventor Mentor
and I can't seem to find a solution to my problem.  I'm using the Template
Graphics Open Inventor for Windows NT, version 2.0.2.  I'm using a
RotateDiscDragger, but I want to restrict the angle through which the user can
rotate it.  That is, let's say the user loads up the file and starts dragging
my dragger.  When the dragger gets to a certain angle, say 160 degrees, I want
it to stop rotating; dragging the mouse further in the same direction should
have no effect on the dragger.  Then, if the user picks the dragger again and
drags it back in the opposite direction, the user should be able to rotate the
dragger back to 0 degrees, but no more.  It should act like a volume knob
that's restricted to being turned from 0 to 10, not like a wheel that
continuously spins.

Do I have to create my own dragger to do this?  If so, what do I do to
restrict its rotation?  It just seems like there should be an easy way to do
this.  Maybe I shouldn't be using draggers?  What's the best way of creating a
volume knob?

Thanks.  Please respond directly to my e-mail address.

--
Peter Markush
Graduate Research Assistant

Tel: (205) 975-5536
Fax: (205) 975-3337

2. Form canvas won't draw TImage

3. : Circular camera movement in Povray 3.02

4. PCI Graphics Card advice

5. Camera movement trouble

6. Relationship between the angle (camera is moved) and corresponding movement in pixels

7. HELP! jerky camera movement

8. Library or parser to extract camera movement

9. Camera movement

10. Need help with creating smooth camera movement

11. Multiple movements in camera path