More VRML and Offscreen Rendering (again)

More VRML and Offscreen Rendering (again)

Post by Olly Heade » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I haven't receiving any information about the last few posts I've made, so
I'll try again, and perhaps phrase things a bit more clearly.

I would like to know if there is any way of getting feedback from the
SoOffscreenRenderer by way of a callback function (just like you can with an
SoGLRenderAction).    I would like this since a complex scene graph to a
large bitmap is a lengthy process, thus I would like progress feedback on
screen (as I have when performing a full anti-aliased render to the screen).
Anyone have any idea?

Also, could it be possible to get feedback when reading in OpenInventor or
VRML files?    Again, when there are large files to be read, the process can
take a long time, thus I would like feedback for the poor user who has to
wait.
Any ideas?

I would appreciate any response, even if it was a Yes or a No.
Cheers,

Olly.

--
Oliver Headey
Serif SPC Nottingham UK

Post by Rajesh Sharm » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I haven't receiving any information about the last few posts I've made, so
> I'll try again, and perhaps phrase things a bit more clearly.

> I would like to know if there is any way of getting feedback from the
> SoOffscreenRenderer by way of a callback function (just like you can with an
> SoGLRenderAction).    I would like this since a complex scene graph to a
> large bitmap is a lengthy process, thus I would like progress feedback on
> screen (as I have when performing a full anti-aliased render to the screen).
> Anyone have any idea?

> Also, could it be possible to get feedback when reading in OpenInventor or
> VRML files?    Again, when there are large files to be read, the process can
> take a long time, thus I would like feedback for the poor user who has to
> wait.
> Any ideas?
> I would appreciate any response, even if it was a Yes or a No.
> Cheers,

> Olly.

> --
> Oliver Headey
> Serif SPC Nottingham UK

You can use the same technique for OffscreenRenderer too.
..
SoGLRenderAction *action = viewer->getGLRenderAction();
action->setAbortCallback(abortTest, cbData);
SoOffscreenRenderer *renderer = new SoOffscreenRenderer(vpRegion);
renderer->setGLRenderAction(action);
..
..
SoGLRenderAction::AbortCode abortTest(void *userData) {
  printf("Continuing\n");
  return SoGLRenderAction::CONTINUE;
Quote:}

..
..

I am afraid there is not much you can do about the file read though.
If your file is composed of several scenegraphs you can read them
one at a time using SoDB::read instead of readAll and show the
progress in-between reads. Also, you can minimize the effect of
read by `show`ing the viewer before you read and posting up a
busy dialog till the read is done. You can even put up all the
widgets first before even initializing inventor and using the
alternate SoXt::init(topLevelWidget)

--Rajesh.

1. Never write a VRML file by hand again...

Generate VRML programatically from Visual Basic, C/C++, Java Delphi or
even MS Excel! with VRDev.

VRDev is a suite of ActiveX components for MS Windows developers that
will give you access to all VRML 2.0 nodes PLUS over 48
business-oriented proto nodes including HeadsUp Displays, database
connectivity, charts and 3D equivalents of standard user interface
items like radio button groups, sliders, checkboxes and more...

Everyone's used the old WYSIWYG VRML editors, but they don't let you
program dynamic VRML.

With VRDev, you may now write applications that generate dynamic VRML,
driven by database connectivity, user input or interaction with other
COM based applications like those in Microsoft Office.

Check it out...  <http://em7.com>

2. Max 5 & Dx9?

3. VRML again

4. Lighting problem under Windows

5. Help required with offscreen rendering

6. Iterative Closest Point

7. Offscreen rendering on pc!

8. HELP HELP HELP

9. Offscreen rendering

10. Offscreen rendering restrictions with OpenInventor

11. Inventor Offscreen rendering

12. offscreen rendering, glDrawPixels

13. Offscreen rendering on pc!