A basic description

Post by Rick » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:13:24

Can i get a basic description on Inventor. Here are some basic
questions. Thank You

- What the software does (CAD, CAM, CAE, FEA, simulation, etc.)?
- What hardware is required? What O/S can it run on?
- What is the approximate cost per seat? (This might be hard to
determine)
- How long has it been around?
- What customers use the software (mechanical design, electronic
design, structural design, etc.)?
- Can it exchange files and information with other software? How?
- What is the kernel and graphics library?

A basic description

Post by Marc Eilhar » Fri, 02 May 2003 03:18:43

Hi Ricky,

I will try to help you a little bit ( i hope you will understand my bad
english :-)

Quote:> - What the software does (CAD, CAM, CAE, FEA, simulation, etc.)?

Inventor is an abstraction of OpenGL, that makes it very easy to build all
kinds of  3D-graphic programs.
I think it is possible to create a CAD-Programm with it, but it would be
hard work ( in my opinion :-) )
No, I see Inventors goal in any kind of graphical simulation, which dont
need extremly fast rendering time (such as action games do) .
For further readings:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/b581/docs/inventor/Inventor_Mentor/...
l/index.html

Quote:> - What hardware is required? What O/S can it run on?

What do You want to do?
If you just want to show ONE Scene without Userinteraction and you have time
perhaps a Pentium I would be enough :-)
As far as I know Inventor has one Interface to Xt the Windowsystem of Unix
and Linux and one to Windows,
I dont know how good they are developed.
With Coin you have the choice between Xt (Unix/Linux), Gtk (Linux/Unix),
Qt(Unix,Linux,Windows), Win (Windows) and a Java Interface is also
available!
For further readings:

http://www.coin3d.org/

Quote:> - What is the approximate cost per seat? (This might be hard to
> determine)

Coin is Open Source ( for Open Source Project only of course :-) )
see also:

http://www.coin3d.org/

Quote:> - How long has it been around?

If you want to know if it is stable,
It is stable :-) )
For further readings see once more:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/b581/docs/inventor/Inventor_Mentor/...
l/index.html

Quote:> - What customers use the software (mechanical design, electronic
> design, structural design, etc.)?

I am using Coin ( which is a compatible alternative to Open Inventor ) for
scientific purpose,
I heard of many Projects that use it in that way (e.g.
mathematical/chemical/physical simulations)

Quote:> - Can it exchange files and information with other software? How?

Yes, with Vrml

Quote:> - What is the kernel and graphics library?

OpenGL