MultiView in OIV 4.0

Post by Guenter Schreibe » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:31:30

Hello there,
Currently I am porting some Viewing application from Performer to TGS
Open Inventor 4.0 ...

I'd like to have more than one View on the scene at once. S.th. quite
like the (in)famous 4View.cxx example of OpenInventor.

Now, the question arises, whether this is the optimal solution with
respect to performance.

We are rendering a dynamically changing scene for a robotics
application, and would like to simulate more than one camera view, where
  some cameras are mounted on the robot.
 From my experiences with Performer, one has to make shure, that the
display context/ OpenGL Widget is shared somehow, so that the graphics
pipe is not unloaded.

What is the "best" solution with respect to performance.
In an early state, I just opened a second SoXtViewer window, which
dropped the performance dramatically.

thanks in advance
Guenter Schreiber

MultiView in OIV 4.0

Post by Jianlong Zho » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:23:47

Dear all,

This is a simple question for someone, but I am really confused now.

I want to render a 3D volume data in OpenInventor. I want to get the
viewing direction (from the eyepoint to the current voxel position) and
perform a dot product. But the problem for me now is how to get the
exact position of each voxel. I know I can get eyepoint position like
following ways:

         // get the eye point in world coordinates
        SbViewVolume vv = SoViewVolumeElement::get(state);
        SbVec3f eyePointWorld = vv.getSightPoint(0.0);

Would anyone tell me how to get the exact position of each voxel? And I
also want to make all coordinates values of eyepoint and voxel position
to (-1,1) or (0,1), how to realize this?

Thank you in advance.

jl

MultiView in OIV 4.0

Post by Mike He » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:37:22

> Hello there,
> Currently I am porting some Viewing application from Performer to TGS
> Open Inventor 4.0 ...

> I'd like to have more than one View on the scene at once. S.th. quite
> like the (in)famous 4View.cxx example of OpenInventor.

> Now, the question arises, whether this is the optimal solution with
> respect to performance.

> We are rendering a dynamically changing scene for a robotics
> application, and would like to simulate more than one camera view, where
>   some cameras are mounted on the robot.
>  From my experiences with Performer, one has to make shure, that the
> display context/ OpenGL Widget is shared somehow, so that the graphics
> pipe is not unloaded.

> What is the "best" solution with respect to performance.
> In an early state, I just opened a second SoXtViewer window, which
> dropped the performance dramatically.

Just to confirm, you have multiple views of the same scene, so the
goal is to have a single set of render caches (display lists) for
the scene that are shared by all views.  Right?  On what platform
and what graphics board?

Generally the automatic display list sharing mechanism in OIV will
share display lists between all windows created on the same display.
So the first step would be to determine if the performance drop is
caused by having a second window or simply by rendering the scene
twice.  In other words, if a single rendering of the scene is close
to the capacity of the system, then rendering it twice for each
frame will give approximately half the frame rate.  If this is the
case and the various views typically do not include everything in
the scene then you might want to try using an SoOctreeOrdering node
to do view culling (reducing the geometry rendered in each view).

-Mike
 TGS Inc, http://www.tgs.com

1. OIV tell OIV to use changed environment

Hi

Or is it at possible to tell OIV that the directory containing the type1
fonts has changed or at least its contents, without restarting??

Can this done by changing the content of the environment Variable
OIV_PSFONT_PATH???

That it works with terminating and restarting application with intermediate
export OIV_PSFONT_PATH=<whatever> i do know :)

haven't searched google groups yet :(

cu
Christoph

2. Illustrator looking for work..

3. Princeton Graphics/MultiView II monitor and 7100

4. point above polygon check

5. Plug for Radius Multiview 24

6. pslatex linestyles

7. QT 3.1.1. and OIV 4