Writing CAD with OI, OK?

Post by Johny L » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I am a new comer to Open Inventor.  Recently, my company decided to
develop an application with CAD like features.  We are evaluating to use
Open Inventor to handle the graphic part.  However, we cannot get enough
information on the suitability on using it.

Can you help us in answering the following questions?
1)  In general, is Open Inventor suitable for building CAD?
    Or, is it targetted towards VR application rather than CAD?
2)  We basically need is displaying simple 3D elements such as
    lines, polygons (shaded and flat).  However, can we pick those
    elements with Open Inventor's function?
    e.g. an user may pick a line which is close to the mouse pointer
         pick several lines and polygon with a fence, etc.

Thank you for your kindly attention.

Regards,
Johny Lau
Future Solutions Laboratory Limited

Writing CAD with OI, OK?

Post by Bruce Bail » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Lau) writes:

|> Hello,
|>
|> I am a new comer to Open Inventor.  Recently, my company decided to
|> develop an application with CAD like features.  We are evaluating to use
|> enough
|> information on the suitability on using it.
|>
|> Can you help us in answering the following questions?
|> 1)  In general, is Open Inventor suitable for building CAD?
|>     Or, is it targetted towards VR application rather than CAD?

OpenInventor, IMHO is *perfect* for building CAD type applications.

|> 2)  We basically need is displaying simple 3D elements such as
|>     lines, polygons (shaded and flat).  However, can we pick those
|>     elements with Open Inventor's function?
|>     e.g. an user may pick a line which is close to the mouse pointer
|>          pick several lines and polygon with a fence, etc.

OpenInventor provides mechanism for rendering your models
as well as the type of int* you describe (detailed
picking info is returned - there is very little work that
you have to do to accomplish this), as well as a very rich
set of interaction, manipulation, and animation tools.  In
fact, this is exactly the type of problem that the original
authors of the library were trying to solve (and make simple).

Systems Engineer                     tel: (303) 796-0022
Silicon Graphics                     fax: (303) 796-0438
4600 South Ulster Street, #820       vmail box:   5-8403
Denver, CO  80237

1. Deformating object with OI, OK?

  Hi all,

I am quite new to OpenInventor. I would like to write an application
which can deform 3D objects, such as soft tissue of human like muscles
or skin etc..., freely and interactively in realtime using OpenInventor.

I heard that OpenInventor does not provide immediate access to the
frame buffer. So I wonder to use OpenInventor is not suitable for my
application.

In general, is OpenInventor suitable for implementing an application
to deform objects like amoeba in realtime?

  Thanks in advance.

  #  Name:    Tatsuya Konno

  #  TEL/FAX: +81 466-48-7169 (International)
  #           0466-48-7169    (JAPAN)
  #  Chiyokura Lab.,
  #  Graduate School of Media and Governance,
  #  Keio University, JAPAN.

2. Converting Amiga Sculpt 3D/4D scenes

3. OI and CAD formats

4. Info re:3D SMax

5. OI and CAD export

6. Stroked fonts in OpenGl

7. Sources needed to write CAD Viewer

8. Writing CAD programs for 3D games?

9. How to write 3D CAD programs?

10. How to write Cad apps

11. ok ok, this is a long shot, but......