transparent texture and texture inside a sphere

transparent texture and texture inside a sphere

Post by Ansel Ten » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Dear openInventor netizens,

I have a few questions regarding using textures:

First, how does one apply texture to the interior of a sphere?  I am
thinking of creating a planetarium using star map as the texture.

Secondly, how does one create a texture on a transparent surface so that
the texture is visible on both sides?  One scenario for this is a painted
glass.

Thanks in advance,

Ansel
Ansel Teng                                            Tel: (818) 393-2705
Jet Propulsion Lab                                    FAX: (818) 393-3134

Pasadena, CA 91109-8099            http://www-msim.jpl.nasa.gov/Who/teng/

1. Texture mapping the inside of a sphere

I am programming a space ship game and would like to use a textured
sphere for my background. At the moment I am using gluSphere but that
textures the outside of the sphere with just one map wraped around it.
So I have to set the poygon fill mode to Back and then after drawing the
background, reset the fill mode to Front.

I don't want to do this, I assume I would take a performance hit. So I
need really to texture map the inside of the sphere and if possible to
only texture map each polygon.

Does any one have any code for drawing a sphere or to do what I need. I
would prefare not to use gluSphere so I could have more control in
future. Different textures for different polygons etc.

I suppose I could reverse the order of the vertices by using a matrix
but this seems to be very messy and it still doesn't fix the problem of
1 texture for 1 polygon.

Any help would be great.

2. How to transform the bitmap file to windows format?

3. Texture inside a sphere.

4. GIF -> RLE

5. Texture inside a sphere...

6. Calendar Templates

7. Procedural Textures / Realtime Textured Sphere rendering

8. Wanted: Light simulation program

9. texturing onto sphere using sphere library

10. Textures, Textures, Textures!

11. Textures, Textures, Textures