which 3D-API to use?

Post by Oliver Bau » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 18:25:27

Hi!

I'm working on my diploma thesis and am looking for a 3D-API with this
features:

- Open Source
- C++
- VRML97-import
- scene graph architecture
- extensibility (designing/defining new nodes)
- runs under Win32 (MS Visual C++)
- runs in MFC-applications

I already worked with TGS OpenInventor at my university and it fulfils
many (in fact almost all) of the above criteria, but it is not Open
Source :-(.

Coin3D looks quite good, but the SoWin-Classes are in alpha-state and it
does not (yet) support VRML97. Version 2 including this is announced for
Q2 2002, what is too late for me.

OpenSG needs the Intel Compiler and does not run with the MS
VisualC++-Compiler.

OpenVRML? What about extensibility there?

Any further ideas?

Thx 4 Ur help!

        -oli-
(student electrical engineering
  / electronic media technology

which 3D-API to use?

Post by » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 19:43:13

> Coin3D looks quite good, but the SoWin-Classes are in alpha-state and it
> does not (yet) support VRML97.

Is there a converter from VRML-2 to VRML-1 that one can use to preprocess
files for loading in Coin?

which 3D-API to use?

Post by Oliver Bau » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 20:26:33

> Is there a converter from VRML-2 to VRML-1 that one can use to preprocess
> files for loading in Coin?

No, this is no solution for me. I need the support for VRML97-nodes in
the API itself - similar to TGS OpenInventor.

Besides that, "new nodes" in the VRML-file (i.e. nodes NOT being in the
VRML-specification) have to be imported, too. These "new nodes" should
correspond to (C++)classes in my program.

Any other ideas? What about OpenVRML?

Thx,

        -oli-

which 3D-API to use?

Post by Zsolt Mar » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 08:21:51

Quote:>I'm working on my diploma thesis and am looking for a 3D-API with this
>features:
>Any further ideas?

Try
http://www.vrsource.org/pollBooth.php?op=results&pollID=26&mode=&orde...

They had a survey their about scenegraphs, followed by quite an
interesting discussion.

Zsolti

1. Using the HOOPS 3D API to draw into C++ Builder Window

I am a student here at the University of Michigan (Engineering) and
would like to port a console application I wrote a few months back to
Windows.  I am a novice programmer.  What I want to do is to be able to
use the HOOPS library to draw into a separate window in my application.
Right now all I want to be able to do is some simple XY plotting.  In
the future I will need to be able to plot thousands of 3d tetrahedrons,
hexagonal and polygonal elements as well as vector and flooded contour
plots of things like velocity, pressure, density, etc.  The program is a
CFD (computational fluid dynamics) code and is extremely floating point
intensive. The book 3D with HOOPS by Wm Lerer and Jim Merry talk about
native windowing systems a little(they talk about MFC) but not about C++
Builder. It appears that all I need is a window handle.  This is from
page 377 of the book.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boyd Pukalo

2. Need help about edge detection from range data

3. Which Framework: SGI API or a 3D-Software API

4. Simple Question on Creating a Filled Rectangle Fast

5. SeaWind's JPEG-based Image Press demo program

6. Which Framework: SGI API or a 3D-Studio API

7. Window WMF to PICT conversion

8. Which Framework: SGI API or a 3D-Lightwave API

9. Capture screen efficiently using DirectX API (95/NT)

10. Using Animation Assistants API

11. What's the *exact* line algorithm used by Windows API

12. Problems using DirectDraw and Windows API