Mesh Generation

Post by Richard Harri » Wed, 21 May 2003 01:38:41

Hello,

    I am trying to display a finite element mesh using SGI's inventor.
I have an array that defines all the coordinates of the mesh and an
array that defines the relationship between elements.   I have examined
using quad mesh, as the elements from the finite element code are
quads.  The problem I can't seem to decipher is; a typical finite
element code will display a unique color for every element. Often two or
more colors will be drawn in a single element.  Is there a way to create
a quad mesh or anything similar that will allow the color to be set on a
element by element basis?

Thanks,
Richard

Mesh Generation

Post by James Stutt » Fri, 23 May 2003 10:43:42

Quote:> Hello,

>     I am trying to display a finite element mesh using SGI's inventor.
> I have an array that defines all the coordinates of the mesh and an
> array that defines the relationship between elements.   I have examined
> using quad mesh, as the elements from the finite element code are
> quads.  The problem I can't seem to decipher is; a typical finite
> element code will display a unique color for every element. Often two or
> more colors will be drawn in a single element.  Is there a way to create
> a quad mesh or anything similar that will allow the color to be set on a
> element by element basis?

A callback to an OpenGL drawing routine would allow you to do this.

JCS

Mesh Generation

Post by Mike He » Sat, 24 May 2003 02:57:47

>     I am trying to display a finite element mesh using SGI's inventor.
> I have an array that defines all the coordinates of the mesh and an
> array that defines the relationship between elements.   I have examined
> using quad mesh, as the elements from the finite element code are
> quads.  The problem I can't seem to decipher is; a typical finite
> element code will display a unique color for every element. Often two or
> more colors will be drawn in a single element.  Is there a way to create
> a quad mesh or anything similar that will allow the color to be set on a
> element by element basis?

It sounds like you want to look at SoMaterialBinding (or the
equivalent field in SoVertexProperty).  The PER_FACE binding
allows you to specify a material (color) for each quad.

-Mike
 TGS Inc, http://www.tgs.com

1. Web page on mesh generation / grid generation: New release

I want to announce a new release of my web page with information on
finite element mesh generation / grid generation:

http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/meshgeneration.html

I have added a software section to the page (public domain / commercial).
In addition I have introduced a secondary index to make the
page more readable.

All comments and pointers to other online information are welcome.

 Robert

Robert Schneiders
Lehrstuhl fuer Angewandte Mathematik, insb. Informatik
RWTH Aachen
Ahornstr. 55
52056 Aachen
Germany

WWW: http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/
Tel.: +241-804558
Fax: +241-8888215

2. lost my serial #

3. Accepting Submissions via Web

4. Help! Mesh Generation

5. Mesa and GLU tesselator

6. New WWW-page with information on finite element mesh generation

7. 3D Gif89a Animation

8. 3D mesh generation problem

9. surface mesh generation

10. Mesh Generation (Marching Cubes) by contour extraction in 2 planes

11. Latest News in Mesh Generation