Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Paul » Tue, 20 May 2003 19:34:56

HI
If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

Regards

Paul

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Gareth Hard » Tue, 20 May 2003 22:29:46

Quote:> If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

Hi, Paul.

Thanks for the advice. When you post something like this, you need to supply
a link to qualify what you're saying. The jdbgmgr "virus" is an example of
how blindly following advice to delete files can be wrong.

I'm sure you're intentions are honourable, but how can we be sure you're not
trying to remove a security patch that prevents propagation of a virus
you've written (for example)?

Best wishes,

Gareth

p.s. More information about jdbgmgr can be found at
securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Cory » Wed, 21 May 2003 01:03:36

Yes, I'd like to hear more about this too.

--
Cory Watilo
www.watilo.com

Quote:> HI
> If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

> Regards

> Paul

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Simon Khasan » Wed, 21 May 2003 04:00:55

Indeed it solved also my problems. Loading time of videostudio was 2 minutes
on an Athlon 2700.
I read about that in a newsgroup of nforce2-chipset owners.
My PC is now fast as hell. It was really slow from the beginning, since I
bought it with the hotfix already installed
So I think this problem is related to certain mainboards.

Unfortunately I don't find the link anymore.

Bye,

Simon

Quote:> HI
> If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

> Regards

> Paul

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Simon Khasan » Wed, 21 May 2003 04:05:09

I found the link:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14856

Simon

> Indeed it solved also my problems. Loading time of videostudio was 2
minutes
> on an Athlon 2700.
> I read about that in a newsgroup of nforce2-chipset owners.
> My PC is now fast as hell. It was really slow from the beginning, since I
> bought it with the hotfix already installed
> So I think this problem is related to certain mainboards.

> Unfortunately I don't find the link anymore.

> Bye,

> Simon

> > HI
> > If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> > It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

> > Regards

> > Paul

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Cory » Wed, 21 May 2003 09:41:59

WOW!!!  I uninstalled it and my applications' speed has gotten much better!
Whether this was a hoax or not, thanks!  It works!

--
Cory Watilo
www.watilo.com
www.soundlightproductions.net

Quote:> HI
> If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

> Regards

> Paul

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Dave » Wed, 21 May 2003 12:23:47

Here's more info on a temporary fix... Basically it's "wait for one that
works"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819634

--
Dave Jones
http://www.vdoguy.com

Camel: A horse designed by committee

Quote:> > If you have XP and regularly update, remove the Hotfix 811493.
> > It's wrong, Microsoft knows it's wrong, and it slows your computer down.

> Hi, Paul.

> Thanks for the advice. When you post something like this, you need to
supply
> a link to qualify what you're saying. The jdbgmgr "virus" is an example of
> how blindly following advice to delete files can be wrong.

> I'm sure you're intentions are honourable, but how can we be sure you're
not
> trying to remove a security patch that prevents propagation of a virus
> you've written (for example)?

> Best wishes,

> Gareth

> p.s. More information about jdbgmgr can be found at

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Lee Johnso » Wed, 21 May 2003 13:20:31

I don't have SP1, persay, but my machine does do automatic updates
whenever patches for XP are available from MicroSoft.  Will this effect
me also??

Thanks
Lee Johnson

"Cory"

Quote:> WOW!!!  I uninstalled it and my applications' speed has gotten much
> better! Whether this was a hoax or not, thanks!  It works!

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by Cory » Wed, 21 May 2003 15:07:27

I wouldn't know, but it's worth a check under "Add/Remove Programs."

--
Cory Watilo
www.watilo.com
www.soundlightproductions.net

> I don't have SP1, persay, but my machine does do automatic updates
> whenever patches for XP are available from MicroSoft.  Will this effect
> me also??

> Thanks
> Lee Johnson

> "Cory"

> > WOW!!!  I uninstalled it and my applications' speed has gotten much
> > better! Whether this was a hoax or not, thanks!  It works!

Windows xp slowdown fix

Post by bubblybab » Thu, 22 May 2003 12:05:10

I agree, I'm amazed as to how fast my computer has become now that I
uninstalled this fix...

Thanks to Paul who first recommended it here, thanks to Gareth who gave an
excellent reason why one should find out the facts before blindly following
someone elses advice, and thanks to everyone who responded and helped me
make my decision to uninstall that pesky "fix"!

Babs

"Cory"

> WOW!!!  I uninstalled it and my applications' speed has gotten much
better!
> Whether this was a hoax or not, thanks!  It works!

> --
> Cory Watilo
> www.watilo.com
> www.soundlightproductions.net

1. mouse slowdown when selection on in XP

Hi

I use PSP7 on WinXP and I've noticed one strange thing... When I make a
selection in PSP, the mousepointer starts to move roughly and slows down -
the effect feels like if your mouseball was dirty or something. When I turn
the selection off... mouse behaves normally again...

What is it PSP? XP? both?

Montag

2. Illegal Scam!

3. Huge GetDIBits slowdown under Win2K/XP

4. MENTArnold RAY, dead fight

5. CorelDraw - Word XP - Windows XP

6. Modelling Physically Based Systems

7. HELP - Stuttering, slowdown using OpenGL in Windows

8. FAQ Link

9. TPaintbox (Windows slowdown when dragged over)

10. Printmaster 7.0 running on Windows XP with multiple accounts