Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by Joh » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...

Is there a way to draw simple geometric shapes in PhotoImpact 3.01?  For
example, if I wanted to highlight a certain portion of a black and white
photograph by drawing a yellow circle around an area, how could I do that?

Also, how would one draw straight lines?  I really don't want to go out and
buy a vector drawing program just to add annotations to photographs.

Thanks,
 John

btw: If this process is easier/different in PI4.0, please let me know.  I'm
still debating upgrading. :-)

Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by Jason Dunn, MS-MVP/C » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>btw: If this process is easier/different in PI4.0, please let me know.  I'm
>still debating upgrading. :-)

I don't know the answer to your question (this can likely be accomplished
with paths) but I heartily recommend PI 4.0 - I never even used 3.0.......

Kensai Design & Communications
http://www.kensai.com
Velo 1 FAQ, Cyrano, Chantal, and more!

Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by Joh » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Well, 3.01 is pretty darn good too.  I have the 4.0 trial version, but haven't
found enough addition features to justify the cost of upgrading.  The redeye
correction in 4.0 is much nicer than it was in 3.01, but I was able to drop
the plugin from the 4.0 trial into my 3.01 plugins folder and it worked fine.
:-)

>>btw: If this process is easier/different in PI4.0, please let me know.  I'm
>>still debating upgrading. :-)

>I don't know the answer to your question (this can likely be accomplished
>with paths) but I heartily recommend PI 4.0 - I never even used 3.0.......

>Kensai Design & Communications
>http://www.kensai.com
>Velo 1 FAQ, Cyrano, Chantal, and more!

Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by Jason Dunn, MS-MVP/C » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, 3.01 is pretty darn good too

Hmm. Maybe I didn't look deep enough, but as a Webmaster, I saw nothing of
redeeming value in PI 3.01. PI 4.0 is a whole 'nother ballgame however....

Kensai Design & Communications
http://www.kensai.com
Velo 1 FAQ, Cyrano, Chantal, and more!

Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by Ulead Chri » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi John,

Click on the main selection tool on the toolbar, then set your shape. Draw
the shape into the image (and adjust the position of the selection marquee
if necessary.) Once your selection area is just right, right click over it.
From the popup menu, click Border. This opens the Border dialog box...enter
the width of your border, hit enter, and not the only thing selected is the
border you just made. Click Ctrl+F to open the fill dialog, set your color,
click ok. Instant boxes and rings :) If this isn't clear, or you need more
help, please feel free to ask me.

Best,
Chris Jones
Ulead WebUtilities

>Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...

>Is there a way to draw simple geometric shapes in PhotoImpact 3.01?  For
>example, if I wanted to highlight a certain portion of a black and white
>photograph by drawing a yellow circle around an area, how could I do that?

>Also, how would one draw straight lines?  I really don't want to go out and
>buy a vector drawing program just to add annotations to photographs.

>Thanks,
> John

>btw: If this process is easier/different in PI4.0, please let me know.  I'm
>still debating upgrading. :-)

Drawing geometric shapes in PI 3.01

Post by CAK » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We're giving away a font
that lets even a 5 year old
draw perfect shapes in graphics
software.

--
CAK
Free Shape Blocks font

>Hi John,

>Click on the main selection tool on the toolbar, then set your shape. Draw
>the shape into the image (and adjust the position of the selection marquee
>if necessary.) Once your selection area is just right, right click over it.
>From the popup menu, click Border. This opens the Border dialog box...enter
>the width of your border, hit enter, and not the only thing selected is the
>border you just made. Click Ctrl+F to open the fill dialog, set your color,
>click ok. Instant boxes and rings :) If this isn't clear, or you need more
>help, please feel free to ask me.

>Best,
>Chris Jones
>Ulead WebUtilities

>>Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but...

>>Is there a way to draw simple geometric shapes in PhotoImpact 3.01?  For
>>example, if I wanted to highlight a certain portion of a black and white
>>photograph by drawing a yellow circle around an area, how could I do that?

>>Also, how would one draw straight lines?  I really don't want to go out
and
>>buy a vector drawing program just to add annotations to photographs.

>>Thanks,
>> John

>>btw: If this process is easier/different in PI4.0, please let me know.
I'm
>>still debating upgrading. :-)

1. PI 3.01 and 3.02 decode SUN ras files as RGB

Just ubgraded to PhotoImpact 3.02 and found that, like version 3.01,
it does not decode SUN Raster files correctly.  The red and blue
channels are interchanged (the data is in BGR order in the *.ras files
but PI reds it as RGB).

See for example
http://ipl.rpi.edu/pub/image/still/usc/bgr/color/peppers
The peppers aren't supposed to be bright blue.

By the way, don't feel bad, SGI's "fromsun" gets it wrong, too.
Netpbm's rasttopnm and ImageMagick's "convert" get it right.

Glenn Randers-Pehrson

2. DXF Problem...

3. how do you draw a simple geometric shape

4. Offset Filter improvement

5. Need API beginner's tutorial for drawing geometric shapes

6. printing Line formats in Word

7. Asking about Mac and Linux

8. How draw shapes UNDER another shape?

9. Can you identify these geometric shapes?

10. SOFTWARE: SHAPES Geometric Computing System

11. Needed: Routines for rotatable geometric shapes

12. SOFTWARE: SHAPES Geometric Computing System