Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Lee Johnso » Sun, 25 May 2003 04:22:30

Hey, gang,
Anyone have any recommendations on DVD writers?  I think I want one that
will do DVD-R, -RW, +R, RAM, etc.  Any thoughts??

Thanks
Lee Johnson

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Paul J. DiBartol » Mon, 26 May 2003 07:20:44

I'm not sure if anyone is making one that will support all platforms yet.  I
believe the new HP DVD300i(e) supports +R and -R now, but not RAM.  You are
aware that RAM is in a cartridge, right?  I believe the makers who support
RAM (Toshiba and Panasonic?) also support -R, but -R has now stepped up to
4x and I'm not sure whether the makers of RAM support the new -R speed.  I
happen to believe that +R is the way to go.  If you could get RAM with that
you would have all your bases covered.  The -R would be a perk at that

then eventually they will be able to incorporate RAM.

You know what, Panasonic is advertising a set top box that will do RAM, +R,
and -R, so if they don't have a PC version yet it shouldn't be long.

Paul DiBartolo

Post by KB » Mon, 26 May 2003 10:02:11

> Hey, gang,
> Anyone have any recommendations on DVD writers?  I think I want one that
> will do DVD-R, -RW, +R, RAM, etc.  Any thoughts??

> Thanks
> Lee Johnson

I found this site very helpful for feature overviews as well as comments:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters

KB

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Jim » Tue, 27 May 2003 10:06:11

Check this out!  Sony's DVD +- writer
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD...

> Hey, gang,
> Anyone have any recommendations on DVD writers?  I think I want one that
> will do DVD-R, -RW, +R, RAM, etc.  Any thoughts??

> Thanks
> Lee Johnson

Recommendation for DVD writer

Sonys DVDRW Drive

Post by Fishfac » Tue, 27 May 2003 13:30:45

> Check this out!  Sony's DVD +- writer

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD...

Yikes!  Another long wrapped link?
Consider my RePasteUrl utility.
I "borrowed" some space here:
www.bergdesign.net/repasteurl.htm

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Jerry Jon » Thu, 29 May 2003 11:09:25

Quote:> I'm not sure if anyone is making one that will support all platforms yet.

Actually, there's the Panasonic SW-9571 DVD MULTI drive, which
supports DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R, CD-RW:

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030019

Most stand alone DVD players play either DVD-R or DVD+R.

Most newer stand alone DVD players also play either DVD-RW or DVD+RW.

DVD-RAM plays only in specific Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung
players...

...however...

DVD-RAM supports 100,000 re-writes while DVD+RW only supports 1,000
re-writes.

The DVD-RAM disc can be purchased in cartridge form, also, which is an
extra measure of protection for industries where heavy-duty handling
might be a problem for bare discs.

Quote:> I believe the new HP DVD300i(e) supports +R and -R now, but not RAM.  You are
> aware that RAM is in a cartridge, right?

Not necessarily.

DVD-RAM discs can be purchased with or without cartridge.

Quote:> I believe the makers who support
> RAM (Toshiba and Panasonic?) also
> support -R, but -R has now stepped up to
> 4x and I'm not sure whether the makers of
> RAM support the new -R speed.

The DVD-R top speed is 4X.

The DVD-RAM top speed - underway - is 3X:

http://www.dvdforum.com/format-vtf.htm

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by skid » Sat, 31 May 2003 00:26:32

Sony makes a drive which supports all formats.

Quote:> > I'm not sure if anyone is making one that will support all platforms
yet.

> Actually, there's the Panasonic SW-9571 DVD MULTI drive, which
> supports DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R, CD-RW:

> http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030019

> Most stand alone DVD players play either DVD-R or DVD+R.

> Most newer stand alone DVD players also play either DVD-RW or DVD+RW.

> DVD-RAM plays only in specific Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung
> players...

> ...however...

> DVD-RAM supports 100,000 re-writes while DVD+RW only supports 1,000
> re-writes.

> The DVD-RAM disc can be purchased in cartridge form, also, which is an
> extra measure of protection for industries where heavy-duty handling
> might be a problem for bare discs.

> > I believe the new HP DVD300i(e) supports +R and -R now, but not RAM.
You are
> > aware that RAM is in a cartridge, right?

> Not necessarily.

> DVD-RAM discs can be purchased with or without cartridge.

> > I believe the makers who support
> > RAM (Toshiba and Panasonic?) also
> > support -R, but -R has now stepped up to
> > 4x and I'm not sure whether the makers of
> > RAM support the new -R speed.

> The DVD-R top speed is 4X.

> The DVD-RAM top speed - underway - is 3X:

> http://www.dvdforum.com/format-vtf.htm

> Jerry Jones
> http://www.jonesgroup.net

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Jerry Jon » Sat, 31 May 2003 06:38:07

Quote:> Sony makes a drive which supports all formats.

Not DVD-RAM, which is among the three approved formats of the DVD Forum:

http://www.dvdforum.com

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Post by Fishfac » Sat, 31 May 2003 09:07:54

> > Sony makes a drive which supports all formats.

> Not DVD-RAM, which is among the three approved formats of the DVD Forum:

I came across this today:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110087,tk,dn040103X,00.asp

Hitachi, does it all, available in June.

Recommendation for DVD writer

Post by Jerry Jon » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 07:21:16

Wow!

Very significant news release.

Thanks.

Jerry Jones