PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by ddad » Fri, 17 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am doing some graphics for web. I found that PI is good, while
Macromedia Fireworks is getting beter review. Is it really better
?

PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by Shadoewe » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 IMHO Fireworks is awesome for web graphics, however the learning curve is
really steep, and the price is too high for casual users. PI on the other
hand is truly spectacular for web graphics. It's easy to learn and use,
handles vectors (paths) much easier, has a ton of "helpers" and way more
effects and filters than Fireworks. My suggestion is download a trial
version of Fireworks and see for yourself.

wkj
http://photoimpact.org

Quote:> I am doing some graphics for web. I found that PI is good, while
> Macromedia Fireworks is getting beter review. Is it really better
> ?

*

PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by acele.. » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>(Firework's) price is too high...

Yeah totally forgot about that one - The price is outrageous...

Tony

PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by acele.. » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:55:43 -0800, ddad

>I am doing some graphics for web. I found that PI is good, while
>Macromedia Fireworks is getting beter review. Is it really better ?

No, not at all, it just gets better press.   PI's interface is much
more intuitive, PI includes numerous special effects filters while
Fireworks just has the standard stuff, and PI uses objects instead of
layers (objects do the same thing as layers but objects have an added
advantage in that they can be any size or shape).

Just my 2 cents worth...

Tony

PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by PhotoDud » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>No, not at all, it just gets better press.

In your opinion. Allow me to add my two cents.

Quote:>  PI's interface is much
>more intuitive,

I think that depends on the user. I find their basic interfaces to be
fairly equal in that department. And I find Fireworks much more
intuitive when it comes to creating rollovers and slicing and
optimizing images or their parts.

Quote:>PI includes numerous special effects filters while
>Fireworks just has the standard stuff,

Fireworks also has effects layers, meaning one can add unsharp masking
(or blur, or color adjustment, etc) as an "adjustment" layer, and
apply it only to one specific object, not the entire image or layer.
This effect or filter can then be turned on or off (or
increased/decreased) as desired. This can be used with any PS
compatible plug in, or any existing filter (including the ones in PI).

Quote:> and PI uses objects instead of
>layers (objects do the same thing as layers but objects have an added
>advantage in that they can be any size or shape).

Fireworks allows unlimited "objects" within any layer. Each can be
filtered, resized, or otherwise manipulated without affecting anything
else in the layer or image. These "objects" can be vector or bitmap.
Macromedia may not call them "objects," but from an image organization
point of view, they work the same way as in PI.

Quote:>Yeah totally forgot about that one - The price is outrageous...

Well, it is twice the list price of PI 5.0. I think it provides a good
value for $199 (or effectively $99 when purchased with Dreamweaver,
about the same price as PI), even though I still believe PI gives you
the most bang for your buck. But to get into "outrageous" pricing, you
have to talk to Adobe.

It comes down to the individual, IMHO. PI represents an incredible
value for web graphics and image processing. It may be all you need.
It is certainly head and shoulders above other programs in the same
price range. However, in my case, I like lots of tools. I use them for
different things. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and
pricing is one of them. But I don't think Fireworks has priced itself
to the point of being of no value, nor achieved its acclaim solely via
a lot of good press. My copy has paid for itself many times over.

--

| A Photo Gallery with an Attitude > http://www.photodude.com/
| PhotoDude Web Design > http://www.photodude.com/web/

PI vs. fireworks - advice needed

Post by Rosalee Grabl » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I use both Fireworks and PI5.
Some things work easier in Fireworks, some in PI5.
Unless you are involved with professional web design, PI5 offers all the
functionality you will ever need.
If you are looking at web design as a career, I could suggest no better
investment than the Dreamweaver/Fireworks Studio. It's a bargain.
The first time I bought Dreamweaver and Fireworks they cost $300 each.
Even then, the time they saved saved me that much over the next couple
months. Now the two programs are integrated, and make a real nice team.

PI5 is a wonderful program. No question there.
My latest site, currently under construction, is at
http://www.prudentialpremierrealty.com.
The graphics were created in PI5 using the "PI 42 jewels" from the
EasyPalette. The "stained glass" effect was from the Fill gallery,
"whirl 1" made highly transparent. The rollovers and effects were from
Fireworks, with the results poured into Dreamweaver.

My client loves it.

1. RE vs Indigo vs GTX vs PI graphics

Hello world,

I have a program which produces a nice picture on a Reality engine, a VGX or
an Indigo (entry graphics).  However the same piece of code run on a 240GTX
or a PI I find that my lighting is really wonky, that is no shading on the
"front" of the object is boring while the back is lit correctly, this looks
like the normals are opposite on the object ???  And I get lmbind BADINDEX
errors ???  Wierd huh ?!

Anyway the code runs without errors on the other machines.

Can anyone tell me if there is a diff. between these graphics pipelines and if
so what the h.ll it is !! It is really annoying.

deano

Dean McRobie                      | "She took her umbrella and a biscuit tin,

Advanced Computer Graphics Centre |  For a slurpee and a tofu dog ..."
RMIT, Melbourne, Australia        |        Thomas Dolby

2. Help: 3D Representation of objects.

3. PI Wizardry vs. Skating thry PI

4. Zweite "Ubungsaufgabe, 4. Serie

5. Iomega Zip drive vs Syquest - Advice needed!

6. 3ds4 Lens to FOV conversion

7. I need advice Part 2: Sasquatch vs Shave&Haircut

8. PM newbie needs advice: 6.0 vs 6.5

9. BitBlt vs PaintPicture for superimposing one image onto another (need advice please)

10. Image Ready Vs Fireworks

11. Image Ready Rollovers VS Fireworks Rollovers