PI vs PSP

Post by Shadoewe » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I would go with Paint Shop Pro for image enhancing, color correction, ect...
It's been touted as the next best thing to Photoshop (some say it's better).
For web graphics it's marginal. I don't do much in terms of image editing,
so I don't fire up PSP very often. PI has nice editing features, but like
you stated, it's much better at web graphics, ect... Keep in mind I'm fairly
new to PI so I may be underestimating things a bit. :)

Shad

Quote:> I have been considering the purchase of PhotoImpact. What I would like
> to know is, how does this program compare to Paint Shop Pro as an
> image editor. I do a lot of scanning at home and am looking for a good
> image editor in order to clean up and possibly enhance the raw scans
> that I acquire. I have been moderately happy with PSP, can't afford
> Photo Shop, and really don't know much about Photo Impact. Most of
> what I read in this group touts PI virtues as a web publisher, but I
> see little if any mention of its capabilities that would do me any
> good.

> Any opinions would be appreciated.

> TIA

PI vs PSP

Post by the technicia » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I purchased Photoimpact strictly as an image editor once I had bought a new
scanner.  I tried demos for both PSP and PI, and like you Photoshop was out
of my league and I dont have time to learn it.  I found that I could do
everything in PI that I was able to do in PSP, and in many cases when it
came to special effects etc I was able to do in PI in one step what took 5-6
steps in PSP ie PI already has many preset effects that would require a
separate plugin in PSP.  The image optimizer in PI is very nice, and having
no background with PS/PSP "layers", I found the equivelent object-layering
in PI easier to comprehend personally.  I think its a misconception really,
that some people have that PI is mainly a web publishing program, when it is
really a full featured image editor.  The web tools for me are just a bonus
if I ever need them in the future.  I'm very happy with PI as my full-time
image editing program.  PSP has some nice features (a much better cropping
tool for instance, it took me a while to get the hang if it in PI) but side
by side I think PI is a better bang for the buck, especially being $20-30
cheaper.

Quote:> I have been considering the purchase of PhotoImpact. What I would like
> to know is, how does this program compare to Paint Shop Pro as an
> image editor. I do a lot of scanning at home and am looking for a good
> image editor in order to clean up and possibly enhance the raw scans
> that I acquire. I have been moderately happy with PSP, can't afford
> Photo Shop, and really don't know much about Photo Impact. Most of
> what I read in this group touts PI virtues as a web publisher, but I
> see little if any mention of its capabilities that would do me any
> good.

> Any opinions would be appreciated.

> TIA

PI vs PSP

Post by PhotoKin » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I bought PhotoImpact for image editing.  I don't do any web graphics.

I haven't tried the most recent version of PSP, but here's what I like about
PI that PSP's earlier versions didn't have:

1.  The ability to click dust away using the noise tool.  As I recall, PSP
requires you to draw a mask for most things.

2.  About 10 effects (dodge, burn, highlight, contrast, saturation, etc.)
that you can just brush on with PI -- no need to do masks.  So the effect is
quicker to apply and limit just to the area where you want to apply it.

3.  Multiple undo (I bet PSP finally added this capability, but I'm not
sure).

Quote:> I have been considering the purchase of PhotoImpact. What I would like
> to know is, how does this program compare to Paint Shop Pro as an
> image editor. I do a lot of scanning at home and am looking for a good
> image editor in order to clean up and possibly enhance the raw scans
> that I acquire. I have been moderately happy with PSP, can't afford
> Photo Shop, and really don't know much about Photo Impact. Most of
> what I read in this group touts PI virtues as a web publisher, but I
> see little if any mention of its capabilities that would do me any
> good.

> Any opinions would be appreciated.

> TIA

PI vs PSP

Post by Shadoewe » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You are correct in every assumption Sir. I just got PI and LOVE IT!

Shad

> I bought PhotoImpact for image editing.  I don't do any web graphics.

> I haven't tried the most recent version of PSP, but here's what I like
about
> PI that PSP's earlier versions didn't have:

> 1.  The ability to click dust away using the noise tool.  As I recall, PSP
> requires you to draw a mask for most things.

> 2.  About 10 effects (dodge, burn, highlight, contrast, saturation, etc.)
> that you can just brush on with PI -- no need to do masks.  So the effect
is
> quicker to apply and limit just to the area where you want to apply it.

> 3.  Multiple undo (I bet PSP finally added this capability, but I'm not
> sure).

> > I have been considering the purchase of PhotoImpact. What I would like
> > to know is, how does this program compare to Paint Shop Pro as an
> > image editor. I do a lot of scanning at home and am looking for a good
> > image editor in order to clean up and possibly enhance the raw scans
> > that I acquire. I have been moderately happy with PSP, can't afford
> > Photo Shop, and really don't know much about Photo Impact. Most of
> > what I read in this group touts PI virtues as a web publisher, but I
> > see little if any mention of its capabilities that would do me any
> > good.

> > Any opinions would be appreciated.

> > TIA

PI vs PSP

Post by eleny » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I enjoy working with older photos for cleaning up and for coloring.
I'm a novice at this effort but I like using PI. I particularly like
the Format dropdown menu features.  Brightness/Contrast, color balance
and hue/saturation with the built in presets are sometimes all I need
for punching up photos and some of my fractal graphics. And be sure to
look for 'magic light'. It allows you to cast light onto your image
just where you want it without going to limited plugins.

If your scanner is new, you might have gotten a free copy of PI
version 4 with it.  This is the most recent previous version and
really powerful for your needs.

-Eleny