Beginner's question

Post by stuart nobl » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:49:29

I have just started using Photoimpact 6 and I seem to be having trouble
grasping the basics.
In order to get an accurate outline with the lassoo tool, I need to zoom and
then I get runaway scrolling when I reach the edge of the window. I've tried
converting a selection to an object to work on it in a separate file but I
then I can't get it back to its original location. I can drag it manually
but is there some way to automatically put it back in the same position?
Sorry for the dumb question.

Beginner's question

Post by MI » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:40:05

One thing that helps with the lasso tool is to not try to do it all at once.
Click on the plus sign under Mode (right above the left side toolbar).  Then
you can make a selection that is only part of what you want and add to it
with your next selection.  Likewise the minus will remove areas from your
selection.  I often make a rough selection with the magic wand and refine it
with the lasso this way.

I don't know of any way to snap the object back to where it came from, the
best way to accurately reposition it is to use coordinates.  Put the pointer
on the object before you move it.  At the bottom of the window its
coordinates will show up, i.e., Obj 1: (125-137)....  These first two are
all you need.  When you put the object back match these coordinates.  You
can move an object one pixel at a time with the keyboard arrows when it is
selected.

Post by stuart nobl » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 16:39:33

>One thing that helps with the lasso tool is to not try to do it all at
once.
>Click on the plus sign under Mode (right above the left side toolbar).
Then
>you can make a selection that is only part of what you want and add to it
>with your next selection.  Likewise the minus will remove areas from your
>selection.  I often make a rough selection with the magic wand and refine
it
>with the lasso this way.

>I don't know of any way to snap the object back to where it came from, the
>best way to accurately reposition it is to use coordinates.  Put the
pointer
>on the object before you move it.  At the bottom of the window its
>coordinates will show up, i.e., Obj 1: (125-137)....  These first two are
>all you need.  When you put the object back match these coordinates.  You
>can move an object one pixel at a time with the keyboard arrows when it is
>selected.

Thanks, Joan. I'll try selecting in stages as you suggest although I find
isolating a section at a time less tiring somehow. Ideally I'd like to be
able to split the image into say 8 sections, knowing that there were no gaps
between the selections.
Do you know of any books or tutorials that cover photo enhancing rather than
web design and the more gimmicky aspects?

Beginner's question

Post by MI » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:38:46

No, I don't do books or tutorials, I only do trial and error.

Thanks, Joan. I'll try selecting in stages as you suggest although I find
isolating a section at a time less tiring somehow. Ideally I'd like to be
able to split the image into say 8 sections, knowing that there were no gaps
between the selections.
Do you know of any books or tutorials that cover photo enhancing rather than
web design and the more gimmicky aspects?

Beginner's question

Post by Kell » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:58:46

  Hi Stuart.
You might want to check out  PIBB
<http://pibb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=91260413>. That's where
Stephanie Baker Thomas has her Bulletin Board.
Stephanie has written 3 books on PhotoImpact. There are other bulletin
boards, but this is where the real photo editor hang out. In addition,
Creative Edge Design has an e-book out on Photoimpact 8. Some of the
techniques will translate to PI 6, but if you're serious about
photoediting, check out PI8.
Kelly

Post by stuart nobl » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:57:04

>  Hi Stuart.
>You might want to check out  PIBB
><http://pibb.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=91260413>. That's where
>Stephanie Baker Thomas has her Bulletin Board.
>Stephanie has written 3 books on PhotoImpact. There are other bulletin
>boards, but this is where the real photo editor hang out. In addition,
>Creative Edge Design has an e-book out on Photoimpact 8. Some of the
>techniques will translate to PI 6, but if you're serious about
>photoediting, check out PI8.
>Kelly

Thanks, Kelly. I'll take a look.

1. A beginning beginner's question...

I have just come upon raytracing... and have downloaded the
POV-Ray program... and wondered if those more experienced with
the program might guide me to some worthwhile (and user friendly)
tutorials... I'm looking for something that gives the basics
clearly, but in enough detail that I can move forward to my own
work, rather than simply copying code...
Any help will be most appreciated...
Many Thanks
A.R. Goldman

2. it's very long today, I'll sow stupidly or Jonnie will love the onions

3. Beginner's question

4. Can I use ImageVision library with RapidApp?

5. Beginner's question on ##Include

6. HELP - how to plot grid data

7. beginner's question

8. Processor access to gl buffers.

9. Beginner's Question on Environment Maps

10. Beginner's Question

11. Beginner's Questions

12. Some beginner's questions & some objects

13. Beginner's Question