Codecs

Post by jedi10 » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 04:41:37

How do you get Video Studio 7 to use different codecs like Divx 5 or
xvid?

Codecs

Post by Fishfac » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:18:17

> How do you get Video Studio 7 to use different codecs like Divx 5
> or xvid?

I had the Divx codec installed prior to installing VS7.  If I choose to
save as file type .avi, under Options | AVI tab, I can choose from
various compression options, one of which is Divx 5.0.3.  I don't
even know what xvid is, though...

I'm running on Windows 2000.  Maybe that helps a little?

Codecs

Post by Jerry Jon » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 06:41:09

Kevin,

Most computers will play an MPEG-1 file without adding player
software.

Also...

If your target computers have the Windows Media Player installed, then
they'll be able to play Windows Media files.

If your target computers have the Real Media Player installed, then
they'll be able to play Real media files.

If your target computers have the QuickTime player installed, then
they'll be able to play QuickTime files you create.

If your target computers have software DVD players such as WinDVD
installed, they'll be able to play DVDs or VideoCDs or Super-VideoCDs.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Codecs

Post by jedi10 » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:10:33

Yes....but the codec used to encode a video can make a big difference
in quality. I wanted to encode my home movies in Divx so hopefully I
can

Quote:>Kevin,

>Most computers will play an MPEG-1 file without adding player
>software.

>Also...

>If your target computers have the Windows Media Player installed, then
>they'll be able to play Windows Media files.

>If your target computers have the Real Media Player installed, then
>they'll be able to play Real media files.

>If your target computers have the QuickTime player installed, then
>they'll be able to play QuickTime files you create.

>If your target computers have software DVD players such as WinDVD
>installed, they'll be able to play DVDs or VideoCDs or Super-VideoCDs.

>Jerry Jones
>http://www.jonesgroup.net

Codecs

Post by jedi10 » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:10:35

I cannot select AVI.....it just cycles back to DV after about 2
seconds. What setting is wrong so I can get this to select avi

>How do you get Video Studio 7 to use different codecs like Divx 5 or
>xvid?

Codecs

Post by Jerry Jon » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:43:12

> Yes....but the codec used to
> encode a video can make a big
> difference in quality. I wanted
> to encode my home movies in Divx

Do so at your own risk.

I have read numerous posts from individuals who have installed the
DivX codec only to break other software on their computers.

I don't recommend it for that reason.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Codecs

Post by Jerry Jon » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:31:38

If you're using a DV device, then it will default to DV and will allow
you to capture to DV .avi file format only.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net