GIF Animator 5 - transparent GIF ghosting Problem - see sample

GIF Animator 5 - transparent GIF ghosting Problem - see sample

Post by life.. » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:35:09

My sample of this problem are here:

http://www.infocellar.com/Test/test1.htm

Unlike other Animated GIF packages, you can't simply select a color to
be transparent and save the gif.  Instead, you have to work frame by
frame :

select a Frame
select the corresponding object
use the magic wand to select the color that you want to be transparent
click the "Selection Options" button at the top-middle
select "Make Selection Area Transparent"
Then repeat for each Frame - what a major hassle !!!

Then, after doing all that - I have an odd "ghosting" problem.  The
GIF plays file if I click the "Run" button at the bottom of the Frames
bar - but when I save it, or when I view it in the preview pane - each
image "stays" for the duration until Frame 1 is repeated.  The images
stack up and you see this weird trailing effect.  Image Ready
(Photoshop companion) does the same thing.

Their help file is miserable - when you search for Transparent there
is one entry with one sentence about it:
"Makes the selected area in the selected object layer transparent"
That's it !!!  I emailed them but no response after 2 days.

However, the one free tool, www.gifworks.com works perfectly !!  You
simply load the file, click on the color you want to be transparent,
and save the gif.  Still this was $44 and I want to get it to work -
any ideas??  Feel free to download the original GIF and see if you
also get that Ghosting effect when you make the outer portions
Transparent - I am so curious to see if you do.

GIF Animator 5 - transparent GIF ghosting Problem - see sample

Post by Goosenec » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:08:47

Quote:> My sample of this problem are here:

> http://www.infocellar.com/Test/test1.htm

> Unlike other Animated GIF packages, you can't simply select a color to
> be transparent and save the gif.  Instead, you have to work frame by
> frame :

> select a Frame
> select the corresponding object
> use the magic wand to select the color that you want to be transparent
> click the "Selection Options" button at the top-middle
> select "Make Selection Area Transparent"
> Then repeat for each Frame - what a major hassle !!!

> Then, after doing all that - I have an odd "ghosting" problem.

Lifefile:

The frames in your transparent animated gif have the character stacked just
as they appear.  GA pasted the first frame into the second frame and the new
second over the third and so on for the whole gif when you saved it.

I tried the select (green), erase and deselect process.  It worked fine, but
kind of slow.  A pain in the ass actually.  When all the frames are
transparent you need to tell GA to remove the previous frame or it will just
overwrite the previous frame as it is doing.

First select all the frames at the bottom of the workspace [click frame #1,
then Shift-click the last frame], then in menu "Frame > Frame Properties >
Removal Method > To Background".   It is probably set to leave the frame.

The best way I like to make one of these is to build the animation in layers
in PI.  Save it as a ufo file and open it in GA.   GA will automatically
separate the layers and they will be transparent if that is how you made
them.

You will need to use remove to background whenever the new frame does not
completely cover the changed parts of the frame.

Michael P. Gosnell