scanning

Post by David Anthon » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry to post what is probably a pretty basic question, but I've looked
all over the 'net and print to find an answer to this question, I've
found some hints, but nothing definitive, can anyone help???

I've just purchased a Marvel G200TV and MediaStudioPro with the intent
of making a few video photo albums for friends, etc.  What I haven't
been able to find a good answer to is what resolution should I scan the
photos in to get a decent picture on the TV.  I've done some
experimenting and can't see any difference between 100dpi and 300dpi
(3"x5") photos on my TV -- but I don't want to get 50-100 scans down the
road and find out there was a better resolution I could have used.

Thanks,
Dave

scanning

Post by D.E. Frank » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

<scanning photos for video resolution>

I'd say if it looks good on your computer at 72dpi (or 96dpi) you're going
to be fine on the TV. A 3 X 5 inch photo at 100dpi will be 300 pixels high
which should be enough.

140dpi is probably the real world maximum you'd want to use (140dpi X 5
inches width = 700pixels which roughly equals the width of NTSC TV at 4:3
aspect ratio*), and 175dpi would be ultra conservative (175dpi X 3 inches =
525pixels = NTSC TV at 525 scan lines). Anything higher than 175dpi is
overkill.

                    -Dave

* I know this is not entirely accurate, but it's close enough for me.
Interested parties are invited to take the "Overscan and 4:3 vs. 16:9" flame
war to another group. (Say rec.video.desktop - they love this sort of thing.
Really, they do. Trust me.)

scanning

Post by Jason Dun » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Yup, 120-150dpi sounds good - but remember to crop the photo to the
appropriate video size (1/2 NTSC, full NTSC, etc.). The best way to do this
in PhotoImpact is to force the selection size to the frame size (704x540,
etc.)

Microsoft MVP - Windows CE
Kensai Design & Communications - http://www.kensai.com
DOMINATE the search engines - FREE trial
http://www.kensai.com/software/webposition
Cyrano, Chantal Kreviazuk, Martin Luther King, more!
http://www.kensai.com/personal

1. SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

The problem you're likely having with the Nikon Coolscan is that the focus
control is *way* too sensitive.  I've used one for years and found that the
first thing you need to do it ditch their little "focus gauge" control.
Instead use the direct focus method where you're actually looking at a section
of the original as it is being scanned (by pressing one of the control keys
when clicking on the Focus button - it depends on the software version you
have.)  The second thing is that the final correction on the focus wheel will
be incredibly tiny - about the thickness of the index line on the wheel.  When
you hit it, you'll easily see the grain on the film - even with Kodachrome or
the new V-tec films.

Focusing these things is sort of a black art - my biggest gripe with the
product.  But when you hit it, you'll have a scan that's as good as a Photo-CD
of the same resolution.

 - Bruce Spainhower
   Focal Point Systems

2. using multiplot

3. Scanning - RSA\ - scanning.upl [01/01]

4. ----->>>> FLC synchronize playing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Electronic Scanning, scans, terri hatcher, madonna,

6. Student & Teacher Software Discounts!! **FREE CATALOG**

7. SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

8. Where can I get scans (ie pay x amout per scan)

9. Scanning B&W (TMAX) with Minolta Dimage Scan Dual

10. SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

11. Scanning Services at 25 Cents Per Scan