How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

Post by kuram » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:47:53

I bought my Hitachi DVDCam recently to film my baby girl and when  I
hook my DVDCam into my TV and run the DVDRam, the movie looks
fantastic.
I notice that  Hitachi only allow the movie to be burnt on 8cm dia
DVD-R using the same camera as the burner. It's hard for me as the
DVD-R price is quite expensive.
Then I plan to convert this movie into SVCD or VCD to share my joys
with my family overseas, as they can watch it using their DVD/VCD
player.
I don't mind to down grade the quality into SVCD as  long as the
picture is reasonably good .
I able to capture the file from DVDRam into my HD using Ulead DVD
Movie Factory SE and also using it to convert the mpg file from
DVD-Ram into SVCD and VCD.  But the results are devastating.
When I play them on my DVD player the movie has a kind of chess board
pattern ( without its contract black and white) , so I see my baby
daughter face full of transparant squarish patches.
So far I only try Ulead DVD Movie Factory to do the conversion. Is
there any better program to do a better job.

Ulu

How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

Post by Jerry Jon » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:27:32

I would recommend not down converting your MPEG files.

For the best quality, don't convert the original source MPEG.

Leave it alone.

Burn it to DVD-R discs for distribution.

That way, the quality will be preserved.

As an alternative, you could burn a so-called "mini DVD" to a CD disc.

This would maintain high quality, but would only play on computers
that have DVD player software installed.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

Post by kuram » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:41:02

Jerry,

Would there be a way to go about it. I really want to edit the file
and burnt it on the dics using my HP DVD writer.
Ulead gives freedom to edit the Hitachi mpg file easily and better,
but not a good result.
Any advise.

Regards,

Ulu

> I would recommend not down converting your MPEG files.

> For the best quality, don't convert the original source MPEG.

> Leave it alone.

> Burn it to DVD-R discs for distribution.

> That way, the quality will be preserved.

> As an alternative, you could burn a so-called "mini DVD" to a CD disc.

> This would maintain high quality, but would only play on computers
> that have DVD player software installed.

> Jerry Jones
> http://www.jonesgroup.net

How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

Post by Jerry Jon » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:35:57

If you insist on editing DVD-RAM MPEG files, then choose project
settings that match the quality of your source.

In other words, if you use Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7 to 'capture' the
MPEG files using the DVD-VR plug-in, then adjust your project settings
to match the attributes of your MPEG files.

If your MPEG file attributes are:

704 x 480
24-Bits

48000Hz, 16-Bit AC-3 audio

...then...

...set your project settings to MATCH.

Then you can edit and export.

In this way, the quality should be preserved.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

How to Convert Hitachi DVDCam movie file to SVCD

Post by kuram » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:03:05

Jerry,

Thanks, your suggestion is realy a heart warming.
The Hitachi PC Kit comes with Ulead Movie Factory SE and the local
Hitachi service person warned me that only this program can work with
Hitachi DVDCam file output.
I am not sure whether I can do what you have suggested, but I will
try. Hopefully it's working.

Now I also have the Arcsoft DVD SHowBiz, but this one only work with
Digital Video Camera using fire wire. For beginners,I like the editing
capability of this ARcsoft product. Ulead MovieFactory is just too
plain.

Ulu J.