General MPEG questions

Post by Stephen » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:30:26

1.
Does VS7 make proper MPEG2/SVCD files or can I use something like TMPGenc to
do the encoding instead?

2.
MPEG-1 is too low quality for this project.
MPEG-2 is for this project makes file too large for 1 CD (813Mb)
Is there something I can do in VS7 to specify a size requirement for the
output file?

3.
What I would ideally like is to be able to distribute a VCD/SVCD that will
play on standalone DVD players, but also if inserted into a PC,
automatically play the MPEG file in the user's media player.  Or if not
possible, autoplay a file player if I could include one on the VCD.

The other part of this question would then be how to create a VCD with
autoplay?

Am I making sense or do I sound as confused as I really am?

Many thanks,
Steve :)

General MPEG questions

Post by KB » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:52:34

> 1.
> Does VS7 make proper MPEG2/SVCD files or can I use something like TMPGenc
> do the encoding instead?

> 2.
> MPEG-1 is too low quality for this project.
> MPEG-2 is for this project makes file too large for 1 CD (813Mb)
> Is there something I can do in VS7 to specify a size requirement for the
> output file?

> 3.
> What I would ideally like is to be able to distribute a VCD/SVCD that will
> play on standalone DVD players, but also if inserted into a PC,
> automatically play the MPEG file in the user's media player.  Or if not
> possible, autoplay a file player if I could include one on the VCD.

> The other part of this question would then be how to create a VCD with
> autoplay?

> Am I making sense or do I sound as confused as I really am?

> Many thanks,
> Steve :)

Not an answer to all your questions, but...

1)  I've rendered mpg2s with VS and they worked great. You can use TMPGenc,
but you have to pay for their mpg2 encoder after a 30 day trial.

2) a 813 MB file should burn fine onto a 700 MB CD in SVCD format. Don't ask
me why, but I know that it works.

3) If you make an SVCD, the mpg2 can be extracted again (freeware/ shareware
program). SVCDs can also be played with computer DVD playing software, such
as WinDVD.

HTH a little
KB

1. MPEG Help - Questions about MPEG

I'm quite new to using the mpeg format and have had some difficulty
getting an animation into the mpeg format.  I'm using the program
'mpeg2encode'.  It will do MPEG-2 as well as MPEG-1.  I'm trying for
the MPEG-1 until I figure out what all this means.

What I want to do is put 800 frames (PPM format) into a MPEG
compressed animation.  The parameter file is really messing me up as
I really don't understand what I, P, and B frames are as well as many
other details.

Q1: Is there some literature that could be recommended to help me understand
    this better?

Q2: Does anyone have any suggestions on the best parameter file that will
    allow me to take 800 PPM frames and turn them into a movie someone
    can watch on the WWW?

Any help is greatly and tremendously appreciated!  E-mail or replies
back to this newsgroup are fine.

Pete

Department of Comp. Sci.,   University of Iowa

2. video post problem

3. ati VESA corruption

4. General question re: BMP's and other formats

5. D3: Bitmap problems - bitmap.zip (1/1)

6. SoftImage general questions

7. Graphics File Formats FAQ (Part 1 of 4): General Graphics Format Questions