Fix MPEG1 Aspect ratio problem in files made by VS6 under DirectX8

Fix MPEG1 Aspect ratio problem in files made by VS6 under DirectX8

Post by rhm » Sun, 25 May 2003 21:12:57

After upgrading to Windows Media Player 9 (from WMP8) and Direct X 9
(from 8), my Mpeg-1 files made in VideoStudio6 with DirectX8 (320x240)
played with distorted aspect ratio (too wide) in both WMP and in
ATIFilePlayer.  Apparently there is something wrong with the header in
the MPEG-1 files.  It is possible to get WMP to play them correctly
(by disabling VMR in WMP9: Tools > Options > Performance > Advanced >
uncheck UseVideoMixingRenderer).  But there is no way to get other
programs to play them correctly.  I already tried disabling all
videoacceleration in ATI and disabling all the ATI .ax files (change
to .bak).  Any ideas for a fix?  Does anyone know of reliable freeware
that can edit the aspect ratio headers in the MPEG-1 files?  I am
running WindowsXP with an ATI Radeon 8500DV AIW graphics card.

Post by Fishfac » Mon, 26 May 2003 01:05:57

> After upgrading to Windows Media Player 9 (from WMP8) and Direct X 9
> (from 8), my Mpeg-1 files made in VideoStudio6 with DirectX8 (320x240)
> played with distorted aspect ratio (too wide) in both WMP and in
> ATIFilePlayer.

I had a similar problem, and went searching.  I found numerous references
to WMP "ignoring" aspect ratio settings.  But you say it worked previously?
I had not prior experience of this phenomenom as a newbee.  I am using
DX9 and WMP 6.4.  PowerDVD played it properly...

Fix MPEG1 Aspect ratio problem in files made by VS6 under DirectX8

Post by rhm » Mon, 26 May 2003 22:07:05

Very helpful info, because what you say indicates that the problem is
in DX9 (not WMP9 as many seem to think).

If WMP6.4 lets you do:
   Tools > Options > Performance > Advanced >
uncheck"UseVideoMixingRenderer"
then that may help.  Or some other disabling of hardware acceleration
might work.

Otherwise you could hex edit the mpeg file (easier than it sounds).
For more info, take a look at another post just made to this group
(25May03) entitled something like MPEG Aspect Ratio Problems Explained
and Fixed. It contains more details and some possibly permanent
solutions which may work no matter what video player is being used.