Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by Linea Rect » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 06:56:22

So now I thought: I'm going to capture my video to high quality AVI files
and import them to MovieFactory for making a DVD... but when I choose 'Add
video' I get the following frustrating message: "capture.00.avi is not
accessible". Now what does THIS mean? (I could open and process the same
file WITHOUT problems in VS6).

|\  /|

 \../
  \/os

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by errati » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:27:38

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:56:22 +0100, "Linea Recta"

>I get the following frustrating message: "capture.00.avi is not
>accessible".

This is only a guess, but if you're using Windows XP, read this:
Dutch: http://users.pandora.be/sectie/faq/avi_xp_error/avi_en_xp.htm
English: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by Linea Rect » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:26:43

Erratic,

I'm running Windows 2000SP3. I'll have a look into it anyway, although I
don't have the problem with Windows Explorer, but with MovieFactory. In VS6
I don't seem to have this problem.
Later I discovered that this problem occurs using AVI huffyuv compressed
files. There seems to be no problem with AVI YUY2 compressed. Confusing...

--
regards,

|\  /|

 \../
  \/os

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:56:22 +0100, "Linea Recta"

> >I get the following frustrating message: "capture.00.avi is not
> >accessible".

> This is only a guess, but if you're using Windows XP, read this:
> Dutch: http://users.pandora.be/sectie/faq/avi_xp_error/avi_en_xp.htm
> English: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by errati » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:49:17

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:26:43 +0100, "Linea Recta"

>Later I discovered that this problem occurs using AVI huffyuv compressed
>files. There seems to be no problem with AVI YUY2 compressed. Confusing...

I have no idea if this will help, but try checking 'Always suggest RGB
format for output' in the Huffyuv configuration. I quote from:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html
"When a program reads a Huffyuv-compressed AVI file, it can either ask
Huffyuv to decompress the video to a specific format (like RGB), or it can
ask for the "default format." Huffyuv's default format is the format the
video was originally compressed from, either YUY2 or RGB.

There are a number of video-processing programs out there which ask the
decompressor to produce its default format, but then malfunction when
Huffyuv returns YUY2. Huffyuv autodetects several of these programs
(Premiere, Ulead Media Studio's Video Editor, AVI2MPG2_VFW, and Bink), and
reports RGB instead of YUY2 to them.

The "Always suggest RGB" option makes Huffyuv do this in every application,
not just the four mentioned above."

I had a problem with Huffyuv and Vegas Video 3 as well until I checked that
option. However, I could open the Huffyuv files with VV3, but the picture
was distorted, so your problem seems different.

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by Linea Rect » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:14:59

I tried setting huffyuv to 'Always suggest RGB', but it did not solve the
problem.
But then, this doesn't seem to be the only bug in DVD MovieFactory... I
don't understand Ulead: one of their products does the job right (VS6) and
the other, newer (MF2) doesn't! This goes for capturing as well as importing
AVI files.

|\  /|

 \../
  \/os

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:26:43 +0100, "Linea Recta"

> >Later I discovered that this problem occurs using AVI huffyuv compressed
> >files. There seems to be no problem with AVI YUY2 compressed.
Confusing...

> I have no idea if this will help, but try checking 'Always suggest RGB
> format for output' in the Huffyuv configuration. I quote from:
> http://math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html
> "When a program reads a Huffyuv-compressed AVI file, it can either ask
> Huffyuv to decompress the video to a specific format (like RGB), or it can
> ask for the "default format." Huffyuv's default format is the format the
> video was originally compressed from, either YUY2 or RGB.

> There are a number of video-processing programs out there which ask the
> decompressor to produce its default format, but then malfunction when
> Huffyuv returns YUY2. Huffyuv autodetects several of these programs
> (Premiere, Ulead Media Studio's Video Editor, AVI2MPG2_VFW, and Bink), and
> reports RGB instead of YUY2 to them.

> The "Always suggest RGB" option makes Huffyuv do this in every
application,
> not just the four mentioned above."

> I had a problem with Huffyuv and Vegas Video 3 as well until I checked
that
> option. However, I could open the Huffyuv files with VV3, but the picture
> was distorted, so your problem seems different.

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by errati » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:35:47

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:14:59 +0100, "Linea Recta"

>I tried setting huffyuv to 'Always suggest RGB', but it did not solve the
>problem.

Does it work with other codecs, like PICVideo MJPEG?
http://www.pegasusimaging.com/picvideomjpeg.htm
If you select quality 20 it's as good as lossless, quality 19 is still very
good and the captured AVI files will be much smaller.

Post by Linea Rect » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:17:49

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:14:59 +0100, "Linea Recta"

> >I tried setting huffyuv to 'Always suggest RGB', but it did not solve the
> >problem.

> Does it work with other codecs, like PICVideo MJPEG?
> http://www.pegasusimaging.com/picvideomjpeg.htm
> If you select quality 20 it's as good as lossless, quality 19 is still
very
> good and the captured AVI files will be much smaller.

I don't have that codec, but I'll try it as soon as I have AVI_IO regged.
At the moment I have the following compression settings:

- Matrox YUY2 (which works OK, but still gives very large files)
- huffyuv 2.1.1 (with described problem in MF) but very much smaller files
and claimed lossless!

Now there are two more settings, but I don't understand the difference.
Perhaps you do?

- Geen recompressie
- Volledige frames ( niet gecomprimeerd)

|\  /|

 \../
  \/os

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by errati » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:54:30

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:17:49 +0100, "Linea Recta"

>- Matrox YUY2 (which works OK, but still gives very large files)
>- huffyuv 2.1.1 (with described problem in MF) but very much smaller files
>and claimed lossless!

>Now there are two more settings, but I don't understand the difference.
>Perhaps you do?

>- Geen recompressie
>- Volledige frames ( niet gecomprimeerd)

I think both these settings would capture uncompressed video like Matrox
YUY2. I think you may as well stick with Matrox YUY2 in that case.
If Huffyuv doesn't work I still recommend PICVideo MJPEG, but maybe you
should try the Huffyuv patch first: http://cx.ath.cx/files/huffyuv/

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by Linea Rect » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:03:22

Thanks very much for the link.

--
regards,

|\  /|

 \../
  \/os

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:17:49 +0100, "Linea Recta"

> >- Matrox YUY2 (which works OK, but still gives very large files)
> >- huffyuv 2.1.1 (with described problem in MF) but very much smaller
files
> >and claimed lossless!

> >Now there are two more settings, but I don't understand the difference.
> >Perhaps you do?

> >- Geen recompressie
> >- Volledige frames ( niet gecomprimeerd)

> I think both these settings would capture uncompressed video like Matrox
> YUY2. I think you may as well stick with Matrox YUY2 in that case.
> If Huffyuv doesn't work I still recommend PICVideo MJPEG, but maybe you
> should try the Huffyuv patch first: http://cx.ath.cx/files/huffyuv/

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 - more problems

Post by errati » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:51:30

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 00:03:22 +0100, "Linea Recta"

>Thanks very much for the link.

I thought of another possibility. Huffyuv is a VfW codec. Maybe MovieFactory
has problems with VfW and requires DirectShow codecs. I doubt it, but you
never know...

Anyway, ffdshow-alpha is a DirectShow video decoder, mainly used for DivX
for XviD, but it can also be configured to open Huffyuv encodes files. So
install ffdshow-alpha, configure it to open Huffyuv (in the Codecs settings)
and try opening your Huffyuv files again with MovieFactory, because this
time DirectShow will be used.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ffdshow/ffdshow-20030103.exe?download
I have no idea if it will work, but I would certainly give it a try. It also
has a lot of postprocessing options (noise reduction, etc.).

1. Ulead DVD MovieFactory video capture settings with ATI Radeon 7200

I'm just experimenting with this app, looking for something to capture some
video from VHS and archive it to a VCD. The video capture options strike me
as odd though - the default is 320 x 240, and the maximum size is 720 x 240.
Obviously, the highest resolution isn't correct from an aspect ratio
standpoint.

If I change the capture plugin from DirectShow to MPEG, I get more video
format options (640 x 480, etc.), but I can't select them because my device
capture doesn't support those resolutions.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 7200 (the original 64 meg VIVO model) - does this
simply mean that the card can't support high-resolution video capture and
I'm SOL? Any suggestions for a capture product that doesn't break the bank?
No DV cams here, just VHS archiving.

Thanks for any input - it's been a couple of years since I've dabbled in
video capture...

2. Voodoo2+another card

3. Ulead DVD MovieFactory & DirectX

4. gimprc problems

5. Ulead DVD MovieFactory long files

6. a tour through my (german) book on MAYA 3

7. Utility to help pick chapter thumbnails in Ulead DVD MovieFactory

8. Direct Draw!

9. ulead dvd moviefactory svcd

10. DVD Moviefactory 2, capture PAL DVD??

11. Ulead DVD Movie Factory and DVD Workshop MPG Problem

12. MovieFactory Copy to DVD Problems Help!

13. Ulead MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7 Can Edit DVD-VR Video Recorded On DVD-RAM