don't want optimization

Post by Novic » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:53:34

Hi, I'm using PhotoImpact 8.0.  I'm trying to create some text images with
transparent backgrounds.  I am able to do this, but whenever I try to save
them as gifs, the options window won't let me shut off the optimization (or
at least I can't shut it off to a sufficient degree).  The optimization
essentially just removes the natural shadow effect from Times New Roman.
This results in the letters becoming skinnier... I end up having to increase
the font size of the letters to 35 just so the STUPID optimizer doesn't
"optimize" the image so much that thin portions of the letters disappear
altogether.

Can someone please tell me how to stop the optimizer from running.  I've
tried going into the compression option and ensuring the compression ratio
is 100%.

But no matter what I do the images always come out as exactly 1 kilobyte
images - I'm really okay if they are each over a kilobyte.

Thanks,
Novice

don't want optimization

Post by MI » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:29:51

I'm still using PI 6 so not sure if there are any differences in 8, but the
optimization in the GIF portion of Image Optimizer is an optimization of the
palette.  If you are using text of a single color or even   You can reduce
the size of the image file by decreasing the number of colors.  By natural
shadow effect do you mean the fact that some strokes of the letters are
wider than others?  To make your letters fatter instead of using a large
font size try making them Bold.  If you are using a rather small font size
the problem may be that they are small enough that they don't occupy.   I
just tried some experiments with Times New Roman and did find that I had
white artifacts around the letters unless I used a matte color (selected on
the Mask tab) that was the same as the text color.  Also the cleanest
letters were when I selected the text and saved the selection only instead
of trying to pick the mask color.

[...]

Post by Goosenec » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:10:09

Quote:> Hi, I'm using PhotoImpact 8.0.  I'm trying to create some text images with
> transparent backgrounds.  I am able to do this, but whenever I try to save
> them as gifs, the options window won't let me shut off the optimization
(or
> at least I can't shut it off to a sufficient degree).  The optimization
> essentially just removes the natural shadow effect from Times New Roman.
> This results in the letters becoming skinnier... I end up having to
increase
> the font size of the letters to 35 just so the STUPID optimizer doesn't
> "optimize" the image so much that thin portions of the letters disappear
> altogether.

> Can someone please tell me how to stop the optimizer from running.  I've
> tried going into the compression option and ensuring the compression ratio
> is 100%.

> But no matter what I do the images always come out as exactly 1 kilobyte
> images - I'm really okay if they are each over a kilobyte.

> Thanks,
> Novice

=====================================

Hello Novice.  It appears to me that you are trying to save the gif by using
"Save As".  If that is correct, you should change the method to using the
menu "Web > Optimize" or [PF-4].  Then set all the parameters you want (gif,
number of colors, etc).  You will have 2 windows to inspect the before and
after images before you even save it.  Just use the + and - to move in if
the image needs closer scrutiny.  The 1:1 will be full size and the box with
the X will fill the window with a thumbnail.

If the background is not transparent in the right (after) window, choose the
other tab and turn on the "select the transparent color."  You can use an
eye dropper to select the color to remove in the left window.  It will
disappear  in the right.  You can even increase the range of colors and
remove more than just one color if the background is not perfectly one
color.

Michael P. Gosnell

don't want optimization

Post by Jason Dun » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:26:09

Press F4, then select the DETAIL palette for the GIF and you should have
good results.:-)

-----
Jason Dunn
Author, "Faster Smarter Digital Video"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735618739/jasondunn-20

Quote:> Hi, I'm using PhotoImpact 8.0.  I'm trying to create some text images with
> transparent backgrounds.  I am able to do this, but whenever I try to save
> them as gifs, the options window won't let me shut off the optimization
(or
> at least I can't shut it off to a sufficient degree).  The optimization
> essentially just removes the natural shadow effect from Times New Roman.
> This results in the letters becoming skinnier... I end up having to
increase
> the font size of the letters to 35 just so the STUPID optimizer doesn't
> "optimize" the image so much that thin portions of the letters disappear
> altogether.

> Can someone please tell me how to stop the optimizer from running.  I've
> tried going into the compression option and ensuring the compression ratio
> is 100%.

> But no matter what I do the images always come out as exactly 1 kilobyte
> images - I'm really okay if they are each over a kilobyte.

> Thanks,
> Novice

1. WANTED TO BUY: Animation Master for the Sgi (they don't make it any more)

Hash Inc. can't sell me a:M for the Sgi as they don't even have
the dat tapes anymore.

but if you have an unused copy, and it didn't work very well
 on the sgi i'm told
so some one must-

please let me know.

In fact you may not even need to part with the
your copy, hash might  sell me a license,
but they don't have a copy to sell.

thanks
mathew

2. Spark or Particle Storm?

3. MP43 AVI's don't work even after fixes

4. font problem

5. don't try to pull locally while you're moulding throughout a new frame

6. POVRAY.ORG

7. don't call superbly while you're creeping alongside a hot boat