Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by mary su » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 05:17:37

I have been using my dig camera with firewire but now need to capture some
videos off of vhs.  What do you suggest I get for an analog capture card?
I'm transferring home videos to dvd.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Jason Dun » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 06:58:01

I've been pleased with the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe I bought earlier this
year - it works well, has all the inputs and outputs you'll need, and also
includes Firewire ports for going digital down the line. You may be a good
candidate for my book too....I talk about the Studio Deluxe a lot. :-)

-----
Jason Dunn
Author, "Faster Smarter Digital Video"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20/

Quote:> I have been using my dig camera with firewire but now need to capture some
> videos off of vhs.  What do you suggest I get for an analog capture card?
> I'm transferring home videos to dvd.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Rick Bennet » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:17:09

I use firewire dazzle hollywood bridge,very pleased with it.
Rick

--
Remember: your sled is not
the only thing thst can be

> I've been pleased with the Pinnacle Studio Deluxe I bought earlier this
> year - it works well, has all the inputs and outputs you'll need, and also
> includes Firewire ports for going digital down the line. You may be a good
> candidate for my book too....I talk about the Studio Deluxe a lot. :-)

> -----
> Jason Dunn
> Author, "Faster Smarter Digital Video"
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20/

> > I have been using my dig camera with firewire but now need to capture
some
> > videos off of vhs.  What do you suggest I get for an analog capture
card?
> > I'm transferring home videos to dvd.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by mary su » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:46:39

Do you get better capture quality with a card or firewire?  firewire would
sure be easier, I'm running low on card space, would have to remove modem.
Although removing that is no big deal, I probably use it once a year.

Post by Martin Atkinson-Bar » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:29:08

> > some
> > card?

I use a Gainward GeForce2 Ti VIVO card as my video card.

It grabs video in as MPEG2.  I have a Yamaha based sound card made by SIIG,
cost $24.

At highest quality, which I use all the time, I have never seen a dropped
frame under Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 and I have never had a sync problem with
the sound.  Using a Athlon 1800+ & Gigabyte motherboard with AT-66 and AT-33
drives on W98SE.

I routinely take video from a VHS VCR and convert them to SVCD.

Since the video is grabbed as MPEG2 by the video card I think its a better
solution than using firewire.  The data is being compressed by the video
card rather than the main processor & memory.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Jason Dun » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:33:04

Quote:> Do you get better capture quality with a card or firewire?  firewire would
> sure be easier, I'm running low on card space, would have to remove modem.
> Although removing that is no big deal, I probably use it once a year.

Firewire is used with DV cameras (which means digital video), whereas the
card I mentioned is for analog video - they're two very different things.
Since you mentioned capturing VHS content, you need an analog video capture
card.

-----
Jason Dunn
Author, "Faster Smarter Digital Video"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20/

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Rick Bennet » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 04:26:40

I use firewire and dazzle,it is capable of doing analog to digital,digital
to analog and can be used as a pass through.I used an ATi all in wonder
pro,but found there to be to big of a learning curve with video card
manufacturers and codec's.If you get one that does everything you want it to
do,great,if not,well it is hell.
IMOP
Rick

--
Remember: your sled is not
the only thing that can be

Quote:> > Do you get better capture quality with a card or firewire?  firewire
would
> > sure be easier, I'm running low on card space, would have to remove
modem.
> > Although removing that is no big deal, I probably use it once a year.

> Firewire is used with DV cameras (which means digital video), whereas the
> card I mentioned is for analog video - they're two very different things.
> Since you mentioned capturing VHS content, you need an analog video
capture
> card.

> -----
> Jason Dunn
> Author, "Faster Smarter Digital Video"
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20/

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Bill Paradis » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:00:55

What I do is copy from vhs to camcorder then use firewire. Saves money not
needing an analog capture card and the quality is excellent.

Bill Paradise

Quote:> Do you get better capture quality with a card or firewire?  firewire would
> sure be easier, I'm running low on card space, would have to remove modem.
> Although removing that is no big deal, I probably use it once a year.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Rick Bennet » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:07:03

Digital camcorder,right?
Rick

--
Remember: your sled is not
the only thing that can be

> What I do is copy from vhs to camcorder then use firewire. Saves money not
> needing an analog capture card and the quality is excellent.

> Bill Paradise

> > Do you get better capture quality with a card or firewire?  firewire
would
> > sure be easier, I'm running low on card space, would have to remove
modem.
> > Although removing that is no big deal, I probably use it once a year.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Bill Paradis » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:51:45

Yes, digital Sony camcorder.

Analog into the camcorder then firewire output to computer. Adds time but
saves money. No impact on quality since there is still only one analog to
digital conversion step.

Bill Paradise

Quote:> Digital camcorder,right?
> Rick

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Rick Bennet » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 00:37:16

How does buying a digital camera compared to an analog camera and capture
card,translate into saving money?I must be missing something,lol.I have
owned an anolog camera for 10 years and it does a good job,so I bought the
dazzle for a couple of hundred bucks,compared to a digital camera for over
1,000 bucks.Do I need to sell the dazzle and buy the digital camera to start
saving money?lol
Rick
IMOP

--
Remember: your sled is not
the only thing that can be

> Yes, digital Sony camcorder.

> Analog into the camcorder then firewire output to computer. Adds time but
> saves money. No impact on quality since there is still only one analog to
> digital conversion step.

> Bill Paradise

> > Digital camcorder,right?
> > Rick

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Bill Paradis » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:17:22

In the first thread Mary Sue mentioned having a digital camcorder.

Bill Paradise

Quote:> How does buying a digital camera compared to an analog camera and capture
> card,translate into saving money?I must be missing something,lol.

Suggestions for analog capture card?

Post by Rick Bennet » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:54:39

sorry,lol.I was trying to save some money for myself :)
Rick

--

"If there really is a pole at the North Pole,
 I bet there's some dead explorer-guy with

> In the first thread Mary Sue mentioned having a digital camcorder.

> Bill Paradise

> > How does buying a digital camera compared to an analog camera and
capture
> > card,translate into saving money?I must be missing something,lol.

1. Capture/Edit card suggestions, please.

I have posted this note twice before, but I never saw it listed, so
please pardon if this has been repeated to you.

A friend of mine wants to capture and reassemble video, with possibly
adding some text and/or graphics, then outputting to tape. What should
he get for under $1000?

TIA,

TL

|visit the Juris web site at http://www.oo.com/~juris|
|          or visit my personal web site at          |
| http://members.aol.com/tlwestgate/home/livroom.htm |

2. audio

3. iMovie analog capture problem

4. cropping

5. VID Capture - Analog and digital

6. Opening/Closing bitmap files.

7. Analog Capture

8. Where is Gregory K. Wallace

9. Niqist analog/digital/analog

10. WTB: Nu-Bus Spigot II Tape Card or Video Spigot Card (Video Capture -Nubus)

11. FS: DPS Perception Card with Optional Capture Card!!

12. Suggestions for single frame video capture?