JPEG save options in PI5

Post by Don Galbrait » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'm having trouble making jpeg "save as" options stick in PI5. In PI4,
once I had set the type and level of compression I wanted, it would
remain; in PI5 I seem to have to specify it every time I "save as." I've
played with the "save options dialog" settings, but PI insists on
wanting to save jpeg in "progressive" mode at 75%, no matter how often I
tell it something different. Am I missing a "freeze" switch somewhere?

(And I hope the PI6 manual at least has an entry for "defaults" in the

Don

JPEG save options in PI5

Post by Stephanie Baker-Thoma » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:35:40

> I'm having trouble making jpeg "save as" options stick in PI5. In PI4,
> once I had set the type and level of compression I wanted, it would
> remain; in PI5 I seem to have to specify it every time I "save as." I've
> played with the "save options dialog" settings, but PI insists on
> wanting to save jpeg in "progressive" mode at 75%, no matter how often I
> tell it something different.

Yes, it's a pain in the neck. You can, however, make your own presets in
Image Optimizer. You still have to select it instead of JPG, but as long as
PI5 is open, I've found that mine "sticks" to my preset after I save the
first image.

Stephanie
http://www.eastofthesun.com

JPEG save options in PI5

Post by Don Galbrait » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> > I'm having trouble making jpeg "save as" options stick in PI5. In PI4,
> > once I had set the type and level of compression I wanted, it would
> > remain; in PI5 I seem to have to specify it every time I "save as." I've
> > played with the "save options dialog" settings, but PI insists on
> > wanting to save jpeg in "progressive" mode at 75%, no matter how often I
> > tell it something different.

> Yes, it's a pain in the neck. You can, however, make your own presets in
> Image Optimizer. You still have to select it instead of JPG, but as long as
> PI5 is open, I've found that mine "sticks" to my preset after I save the
> first image.

> Stephanie
> http://www.eastofthesun.com

Thanks for the commiseration and advice from everyone. My other option
is to continue to use PI4 for sessions that are heavy in jpeg-saving. A
shame, but...

Don

(Oh, I know, I should buy PI6, but I've only had PI5 up for less than a
month!)

JPEG save options in PI5

Post by Kell » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Don, if you send a copy of your receipt, Ulead MIGHT give you a ___ upgrade.
I'll leave it to them to make the final answer.
I'd sure take a shot at it...

> > > I'm having trouble making jpeg "save as" options stick in PI5. In PI4,
> > > once I had set the type and level of compression I wanted, it would
> > > remain; in PI5 I seem to have to specify it every time I "save as." I've
> > > played with the "save options dialog" settings, but PI insists on
> > > wanting to save jpeg in "progressive" mode at 75%, no matter how often I
> > > tell it something different.

> > Yes, it's a pain in the neck. You can, however, make your own presets in
> > Image Optimizer. You still have to select it instead of JPG, but as long as
> > PI5 is open, I've found that mine "sticks" to my preset after I save the
> > first image.

> > Stephanie
> > http://www.eastofthesun.com

> Thanks for the commiseration and advice from everyone. My other option
> is to continue to use PI4 for sessions that are heavy in jpeg-saving. A
> shame, but...

> Don

> (Oh, I know, I should buy PI6, but I've only had PI5 up for less than a
> month!)

JPEG save options in PI5

Post by Don Galbrait » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Don, if you send a copy of your receipt, Ulead MIGHT give you a ___ upgrade.
> I'll leave it to them to make the final answer.
> I'd sure take a shot at it...

> > > Yes, it's a pain in the neck. You can, however, make your own presets in
> > > Image Optimizer. You still have to select it instead of JPG, but as long as
> > > PI5 is open, I've found that mine "sticks" to my preset after I save the
> > > first image.

> > > Stephanie
> > > http://www.eastofthesun.com

> > Thanks for the commiseration and advice from everyone. My other option
> > is to continue to use PI4 for sessions that are heavy in jpeg-saving. A
> > shame, but...

> > Don

> > (Oh, I know, I should buy PI6, but I've only had PI5 up for less than a
> > month!)

Worth a try, perhaps, but my plaintive "only had up for less than a
month" might have misled you: I've actually OWNED PI5 since last March;
I just got around to installing it a few weeks ago. It's difficult to
place blame very far from home base! (And PI4 IS still installed, and it
avoids a few other annoying quirks in PI5 as well...)

Don

1. JPEG saving options

A straight-forward answer to this might be out there, but I haven't
found it yet. (All file sizes are approximations, but representative of
actual experience.)

When saving JPEG's, the Quality drop-down menu gives you the choice of
Low, Medium, High, Maximum. Choosing Maximum gives a setting of 10.
However, you can increase the setting to 12. I've noticed that if I open
a JPEG that is, say, about 1.3mb and save it at the "default" Maximum
setting of 10, it compresses it to, say, about 900k. If I save it at the
"maximum" Maximum setting of 12, I actually end up with a larger file
than I started out with of about 3mb. Apparently it is uncompressing the
original compressed jpeg?

What's up with this, and practically speaking, should I be saving at 10
or 12?

(Take it as read that I know about tif being non-lossy, and jpeg being
lossy, etc. I'm just wondering about this Photoshop jpeg Quality thing.)

Thanks!!

--
Carl Miller

http://www.ezinfocenter.com/8557444

2. Molecular/Protein plugins for 3DS4?

3. Best jpeg format saving option in PS 6.0?

4. Postscript Advice Sought

5. How can I change JPEG saving option?

6. ( C++ ) only one glVertex instead of glVertex2d versus glVertex2f versus...

7. 3dmax + export

8. Saving My PI5 Stuff Before Deleting

9. Tif file save options??

10. Save As Option ??