A/V Desynchronization w/WMV files in VS7

A/V Desynchronization w/WMV files in VS7

Post by Kiem Madvan » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:49:56

My system is a 2.53GHz P4 w/120GB HD, 70GB free.

I am having a/v synch problems when converting files to WMV format
using the PocketPC profile in VS7. The source is a one hour MPEG-2
file, 640 MB, encoded to SVCD specs (2 kbps video rate) using
MovieMill (captured from an Adaptec VideOh! USB 2.0). Playback of the
source file shows good a/v sync throughout. After converting to WMV,
desynch starts within a few minutes, progressively getting worse. I
encoded with no other apps running on the system, tried encoding
several times, no improvement. Any help would be appreciated. I have
no difficulty capturing, encoding, or trancoding on this system with
all sources, up to DVD and DV bitrates and resolutions.

Another bug/problem I found is that VS7 will not permit me to use a
modified WMV profile for encoding. I can go into the WMV (via
"Options) profile editor, copy/edit/modify an existing profile, but
the new profile does not show up in the dropdown list for encoding,
after I exit the editor. Re-entering the editor shows the modified
profile is still there.

Zub

A/V Desynchronization w/WMV files in VS7

Post by Jerry Jon » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:55:07

I remember reading somewhere that there were issues with one of the Adaptec devices.

I'll try to track some info down for you.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

A/V Desynchronization w/WMV files in VS7

Post by KB » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:33:47

Quote:> My system is a 2.53GHz P4 w/120GB HD, 70GB free.

> I am having a/v synch problems when converting files to WMV format
> using the PocketPC profile in VS7. The source is a one hour MPEG-2
> file, 640 MB, encoded to SVCD specs (2 kbps video rate) using
> MovieMill (captured from an Adaptec VideOh! USB 2.0). Playback of the
> source file shows good a/v sync throughout. After converting to WMV,
> desynch starts within a few minutes, progressively getting worse. I
> encoded with no other apps running on the system, tried encoding
> several times, no improvement. Any help would be appreciated. I have
> no difficulty capturing, encoding, or trancoding on this system with
> all sources, up to DVD and DV bitrates and resolutions.

I had synch problems with a different type of conversion. I ended up
extracting the audio in .wav format, "muting" the original audio, and
overlaying the separate audio track. Virtual Dub or Goldwave (both freeware)
will let you extract. It was a variable vs. constant bitrate issue. Not sure
whether that's the case with WMV, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Quote:> Another bug/problem I found is that VS7 will not permit me to use a
> modified WMV profile for encoding. I can go into the WMV (via
> "Options) profile editor, copy/edit/modify an existing profile, but
> the new profile does not show up in the dropdown list for encoding,
> after I exit the editor. Re-entering the editor shows the modified
> profile is still there.

I'm not sure whether I totally understand this, but are you saying you're
going into "Share", then "create video file", "custom", "options" and
altering your WMV setting there? If so, you're only creating specs for the
current job. You have to go to the "File" tab, "Make Movie Manager" and
create a new setting in order for it to be permanent and show on your
dropdown list.

HTH
KB

Post by Kiem Madvan » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:56:37

> I remember reading somewhere that there were issues with one of the Adaptec devices.

I've played around with it some more, it's not specific to files
captured with the VideOh! device, and it happens with both MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2 files. BTW, I have no problem with using VS7 for complex
editing and authoring jobs where I'm burning to VCD, SVCD, or DVD
(perfect synch). My workaround is to use Arcsoft's ShowBiz for WMV
trancoding instead of VS7 (WME9 is DOA on my system due to an MPEG-2
codec that WME9 doesn't like).

Zub

Post by Kiem Madvan » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:05:22

> > Another bug/problem I found is that VS7 will not permit me to use a
> > modified WMV profile for encoding. I can go into the WMV (via
> > "Options) profile editor, copy/edit/modify an existing profile, but
> > the new profile does not show up in the dropdown list for encoding,
> > after I exit the editor. Re-entering the editor shows the modified
> > profile is still there.

> I'm not sure whether I totally understand this, but are you saying you're
> going into "Share", then "create video file", "custom", "options" and
> altering your WMV setting there? If so, you're only creating specs for the
> current job. You have to go to the "File" tab, "Make Movie Manager" and
> create a new setting in order for it to be permanent and show on your
> dropdown list.

When you get to the "Share" tab, and click on "Create video file",
select "Custom", select the WMV file type, click on "Options", click
on the "Profile" tab, then click "Customized", you finally get to the
"Manage Profiles" dialog. Here, if you copy and create a new profile,
and close the dialog, the profile you just created does not show up in
the drop-down box on the "Profile" tab of the Options dialog, making
it impossible to use your customized profile.

I'll try what you suggest, maybe that's the way to make it show up....

Zub

Post by KB » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:59:05

> > I'm not sure whether I totally understand this, but are you saying
you're
> > going into "Share", then "create video file", "custom", "options" and
> > altering your WMV setting there? If so, you're only creating specs for
the
> > current job. You have to go to the "File" tab, "Make Movie Manager" and
> > create a new setting in order for it to be permanent and show on your
> > dropdown list.

> When you get to the "Share" tab, and click on "Create video file",
> select "Custom", select the WMV file type, click on "Options", click
> on the "Profile" tab, then click "Customized", you finally get to the
> "Manage Profiles" dialog. Here, if you copy and create a new profile,
> and close the dialog, the profile you just created does not show up in
> the drop-down box on the "Profile" tab of the Options dialog, making
> it impossible to use your customized profile.

> I'll try what you suggest, maybe that's the way to make it show up....

> Zub

I've created files using the method you describe, and you're right, they
don't show up as an option in the drop-down menu later on. I have
successfully created profiles via the Make Movie Manager though, and they do
show up in the dropdown menu from there on in. This is how I added the PAL
profiles that don't automatically show in (the US version of) VS7 anymore
(as opposed to VI6 where they did if you chose the "PAL and NTSC" options
upon install), e.g. Anyway, I hope it works out for you!
KB

Post by Kiem Madvan » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:49:41

> I've created files using the method you describe, and you're right, they
> don't show up as an option in the drop-down menu later on. I have
> successfully created profiles via the Make Movie Manager though, and they do
> show up in the dropdown menu from there on in. This is how I added the PAL
> profiles that don't automatically show in (the US version of) VS7 anymore
> (as opposed to VI6 where they did if you chose the "PAL and NTSC" options
> upon install), e.g. Anyway, I hope it works out for you!

Found these two articles on Ulead's web site that cover creating
custom WMV profiles in VS7 (looks like exactly what you said to try):

http://www.ulead.com/learning/vs/vs7_06_1.htm
http://www.ulead.com/learning/vs/vs7_07_1.htm

Zub

1. QuickTime Vs RealVideo Vs WMV

Hi, i've read a few articles and they've confused me even more... all of
them support different solutions.

I'm posting here as i hope someone with the experience can give me some
advice.

Basically, i'm doing a html website for an aerobics company. They release a
monthly VCD to their customers.

Now they want to introduce an online library of 15mins video clips.

This can be "streamed" or downloaded.

The media that is streamed or downloaded will be played via projectors on
Large screens (VIA broadband connection).

However, being about 15mins long, means that the files will be huge.

What solution should i use? QT, Real or Window's Mediaplayer?

I kinda like QT's "clean" look and the way the player shows the file being
downloaded while it's playing.

Any URL's would be great!

Thanks!

2. ART & TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM - call for applications

3. WMV files

4. ANIMATED WEB SITE

5. WMV files in MSP6.5

6. Help with GL to OGL porting..

7. VS7 Edit or Create the .ufo files

8. Transparent Pixel

9. VS7 and .MMV files

10. WMV with DXVA

11. How play *.wmv

12. Dpi vs file size vs image quality?

13. Pentium vs PII vs PP vs M1 vs K6 under Max