really really really stupid question

Post by Justi » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all.
I know this is a stupid question, but here goes anyways.
How do I create a new layer and new adjustment layer in PhotoImpact 5?
I've already dug through both the manual and ulead's web site and I
could find anything on them.

TIA.
Justin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

really really really stupid question

Post by Iacobu » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Justin,

There are no stupid questions here.

PI 5 doesn't use layers per se. It uses what's called "object layers"
instead.

It's kind of hard to determine what you want to do since I don't know what
kind of effect you want to achieve.
 You could create a new object by opening your Base Image, copying and
pasting it using "CTRL+C" and "CTRL+V" and then initiate Mask Mode (CTRL+K).
From there, use any of the Selection Tools and/or Paint Tools to make
further modifications to the grayscale mask buffer (to keep it short, the
object you pasted onto itself and made the active object *becomes* the
grayscale mask buffer).

Also, keep in mind the levels of gray determine the intensity of effect
(i.e. white=affected, black=unaffected). By default, when you paint total
black in using a Paint Tool in Mask Mode on an active object, the grayscale
buffer mask will reveal the Base Image beneath using the color red (this can
be changed to any color you wish), because you're saying with that action,
"This is where the effect will *not* show and will remain unaffected". By
effect, I mean the part of the object layer I don't want to include for
whatever effect you're trying to achieve for that particular object layer in
this case (confused yet?).

Need more help? Contact me back.

Iacobus

Quote:> Hi all.
> I know this is a stupid question, but here goes anyways.
> How do I create a new layer and new adjustment layer in PhotoImpact 5?
> I've already dug through both the manual and ulead's web site and I
> could find anything on them.

> TIA.
> Justin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Really really basic question on convolution

I have a fundamental question about convolution. Let's say I want to apply
the following kernel to an image:

-1 -1 -1
-1  9 -1
-1 -1 -1

My question is... what does this actually *mean*? Or to put it another way,
how does one write a program to apply this? I have seen code that does the
following...

output = (input[-1][-1] * -1) + (input[0][-1] * -1) + (input[1][-1] * -1)
output += (input[-1][0] * -1) + (input[0][0] * 9) + (input[1][0] * -1)
output += (input[-1][1] * -1) + (input[0][1] * -1) + (input[1][1] * -1)
output /= (-1-1-1-1+9-1-1-1-1)

However, the above does not hold up for

-1 -1 -1
-1  8 -1
-1 -1 -1

As the output will always be 0.

What am I missing?

2. MotionDesigner won't keep Surface Settings

3. Really Really Basic OpenGL Question

4. FS: LIGHTWAVE for Mac (5.5 & 5.6 Upgr)

5. Really, Really Horrible question about sprites

6. ARE there any Animation builders for Win-DOS?

7. Really..really..new at this

8. really really good stuff

9. PS CS2 Print w preview Position <<ANNOYING, REALLY REALLY ANNOYING

10. Really, really good keystroke idea!!

11. really really fast :) texture mapping, a suggestion...