Converting CD5 to CD7 without losing paragraph text

Converting CD5 to CD7 without losing paragraph text

Post by Jeffrey » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have a 100 page catalog that was originally done in Corel ver 2 in which
I was
able to open & save in Corel ver 5 without too many problems. Now I've
upgraded to Corel ver 7 and I've run into a problem. When I open a CD5 file
in
CD7 the artwork and artistic text open without a problem (well, nothing
major)
but the paragraph text doesn't come through at all. The text box is there,
but empty. I've tried using different fonts, but that doesn't make any
difference.
Has anybody else run into this? And if so, is there a way to solve this
proble?
Thanks for any help!
Jeff

Converting CD5 to CD7 without losing paragraph text

Post by Duncan Kenned » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a 100 page catalog that was originally done in Corel ver 2 in which
>I was
>able to open & save in Corel ver 5 without too many problems. Now I've
>upgraded to Corel ver 7 and I've run into a problem. When I open a CD5 file
>in
>CD7 the artwork and artistic text open without a problem (well, nothing
>major)
>but the paragraph text doesn't come through at all. The text box is there,
>but empty. I've tried using different fonts, but that doesn't make any
>difference.
>Has anybody else run into this? And if so, is there a way to solve this
>proble?
>Thanks for any help!
>Jeff

Have you tried highlighting the text box and making sure the text hasn't
been turned white or background colour - and that it is in front of any
background?  This may sound stupid I once had a lot of trouble with a
file which - for no known reason - would turn large blocks of text white
- and so invivible - and frighten 17 kinds of whatever out of me!

--
DuncanK
Downtown Dalgety Bay

Post by dter » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>I have a 100 page catalog that was originally done in Corel ver 2 in which
>>I was
>>able to open & save in Corel ver 5 without too many problems. Now I've
>>upgraded to Corel ver 7 and I've run into a problem. When I open a CD5 file
>>in
>>CD7 the artwork and artistic text open without a problem (well, nothing
>>major)
>>but the paragraph text doesn't come through at all. The text box is there,
>>but empty. I've tried using different fonts, but that doesn't make any
>>difference.
>>Has anybody else run into this? And if so, is there a way to solve this
>>proble?
>>Thanks for any help!
>>Jeff
>Have you tried highlighting the text box and making sure the text hasn't
>been turned white or background colour - and that it is in front of any
>background?  This may sound stupid I once had a lot of trouble with a
>file which - for no known reason - would turn large blocks of text white
>- and so invivible - and frighten 17 kinds of whatever out of me!
>--
>DuncanK
>Downtown Dalgety Bay

I have solved a number of importing problems by using the clipboard.
You can lose formatting and text style, but you do get the actual text
over and with little work you can recreate your original document.

If you can't run both programs simultaniously, open CD5 and copy a
portion of text to the clip board.  Close CD5 and open CD7.  Then
paste your text in at the cursor.

It may take a while, but it's better than having to type and proofread
the whole darn thing again.

Regards,

Don Terp

Converting CD5 to CD7 without losing paragraph text

Post by bids.. » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

On 20 Mar 1997 06:35:18 GMT,

posted a message re:
" Converting CD5 to CD7 without losing paragraph text"

 ->upgraded to Corel ver 7 and I've run into a problem. When I open a CD5 file
 ->in
 ->CD7 the artwork and artistic text open without a problem (well, nothing
 ->major)
 ->but the paragraph text doesn't come through at all. The text box is there,
 ->but empty. I've tried using different fonts, but that doesn't make any
 ->difference.
 ->Has anybody else run into this? And if so, is there a way to solve this
 ->proble?

This sounds similiar to something I've experienced opening CD3 files with
CD5 ...  and it's always paragraph text that has been the problem ....

Somehow CD3 and CD5 aren't in full agreement with each other in how they
fit paragraph text of a given size in a given size of frame, and  I suspect
that your problem is of a similar nature.

Whenever this happened, I was always able to see and edit the "missing"
text via Alt-T, X, even though the text frame remained "blank".

The solution for me was to simply increase the size of the text frame,
which would make the text visible again.

It was also possible to Alt-T, X, then highlight the text and reduce the
font size, which would also solve the problem for me

I prefered to stick with stretching the text frame  as it was quicker and
easier.

Cheers
Frank

Note: To reply by e-mail, remove "zap.spam" from my address.

Post by Bob Hi » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>I have a 100 page catalog that was originally done in Corel ver 2 in

which I was able to open & save in Corel ver 5 without too many problems.
Now I've
upgraded to Corel ver 7 and I've run into a problem. When I open a CD5
file in
CD7 the artwork and artistic text open without a problem (well, nothing
major)
but the paragraph text doesn't come through at all. The text box is there,
 but empty. I've tried using different fonts, but that doesn't make any
difference.
Has anybody else run into this? And if so, is there a way to solve this
problem?  Thanks for any help!  Jeff<<
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff,
   What does it look like when you use WireFrame mode? This will tell you
quickly if the text is truly not there or if it's just been refilled with
white color.
          Bob Hill