CorelDraw!8 to Freehand/Illustrator

Post by Raven Presentation » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

What's the best way to get CorelDraw! 8 files, containing multiple pages, to
Freehand or Illustrator? Preferably a solution that doesn't involve
exporting pages seperately, because we're talking many, many pages here.

Any help appreciated!

Francois

CorelDraw!8 to Freehand/Illustrator

Post by Macrome » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>What's the best way to get CorelDraw! 8 files, containing multiple pages, to
>Freehand or Illustrator? Preferably a solution that doesn't involve
>exporting pages seperately, because we're talking many, many pages here.

The transfer to Illustrator would require separate-page export, because
Illustrator only deals with drawings that fit on a single page. I don't recall
this being listed as a change in the ILL8 stories leaked to MacWEEK.

FreeHand 8 can open many CDR files, but DRAW! 8 wasn't around when FreeHand 8
was being developed. This means we can't do a straight open of these files in
FH8, and that you'd need to resave them from CD8.

So, which format to save as? Best bet would likely be one of the .AI formats --
it's not reverse-engineered as the CDR formats are, and it's not designed for
protection and encapsulation as the EPS formats are.

(FreeHand 8 can also work with multi-page PDF files (Adobe Acrobat), but my
memory is that this format is not shared across both apps. Worth a check,
though.)

Tips: Work with a few sample test files first, then build up to a few complex
pages, before committing to a format for the entire batch. Pay particular
attention to text blocks and fonts. Changing machines can add another variable.
After export to a foreign format, re-open it in CD8 so you can identify which
changes were caused by the format itself. For some jobs, you may wish to
investigate the batching/scripting that both CD8 and FH8 offer.

Good luck!

jd

Private email option:http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Technotes:http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/powersearch.htm
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/

Post by Ro » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> What's the best way to get CorelDraw! 8 files, containing multiple pages, to
> Freehand or Illustrator? Preferably a solution that doesn't involve
> exporting pages seperately, because we're talking many, many pages here.

> Any help appreciated!

good luck! ;-)

I aint had much success at all here.

anybody? I'd really like to know too. Some simple things I have been able to export but
not complex things.

Rod

CorelDraw!8 to Freehand/Illustrator

Post by idale » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The only way I know that this could be done semi-reliably would be to create an
acrobat document in Corel and open it in Freehand or Illustrator.

Really, you should have seen the light ages ago. ;)

Ian