Paint Vs Draw?

Post by JunkMonke » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:45:22

Could someone explain the difference between a paint program and a drawing
program.  I just bought Corel Graphics Suite v9 and I notice that it comes
with a Draw program, but Corel sells a paint program separately.

Also, does the word "Paint" in the Photopaint program imply that it is a
Paint program and can be used as a paint program?

In case you are wondering why would someone with such little knowledge would
buy the Graphics Suite, it was for the Photopaint program, It appears to
offer the most "Bang for the Buck" as a photo editor.  For those not
familiar with American slang that means it's a good value.  Anyway, I'm
trying to take stock of the resources at my disposal.

Paint Vs Draw?

Post by Rich Web » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:07:14

Quote:>Could someone explain the difference between a paint program and a drawing
>program.  I just bought Corel Graphics Suite v9 and I notice that it comes
>with a Draw program, but Corel sells a paint program separately.

[FYI, the Corel Suite 9 was a good release. Worked well, very few
glitches. Do not upgrade to release 10. The release 11 suite is OK but
there's not really much of an advantage in 11 over 9 and there are one
or two things that used to work in 9 that don't work as well in 11.]

Generally, a "draw" type program works with vector objects. You can zoom
in infinitely and a line is still a line. A "paint" program works with
bitmap objects. If you zoom in on a line, eventually you'll start to see
the individual pixels.

Paint programs (the better ones, at least) are often object-based. That
is, the things you create exist as separate entities and can be
moved/altered individually. In the most basic paint programs, everything
is in one layer and is one object; you can undo an action but can't grab
an object and move or change it.

You can import "draw" objects into "paint" applications. Generally
you'll need to decide on a size and resolution when you do this and the
imported object becomes a collection of pixels in the paint app (no more
infinite zoom).

You can import "paint" objects into "draw" applications, typically as a
bitmap or collection of bitmap objects. The imported objects retain
their pixel-based nature but can have vector objects drawn in front of
or behind them.

You can also use paint objects into draw apps by tracing the outlines
with something like Corel Trace or by manually tracing over the imported
bitmap in the draw app.

Quote:>Also, does the word "Paint" in the Photopaint program imply that it is a
>Paint program and can be used as a paint program?

Yup.

Quote:>In case you are wondering why would someone with such little knowledge would
>buy the Graphics Suite, it was for the Photopaint program, It appears to
>offer the most "Bang for the Buck" as a photo editor.  For those not
>familiar with American slang that means it's a good value.  Anyway, I'm
>trying to take stock of the resources at my disposal.

It's a very capable set of programs. Besides, nobody was born with the
knowledge of how to use 'em. Learning through doing is a Good Thing.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

1. Corel Draw vs. Paint Shop Pro vs MS Paint

I am a graphics neophyte whose graphics needs are gradually getting more
complicated. I graduated from MS Paint to PaintShop Pro a while back and am
considering taking the plunge and buying Corel Draw. I'm trying to
understand if Corel Draw will solve the following problem:

I created a logo with text and a graphic within PaintShop Pro. I to use the
logo for 2 purposes: 1) as the background for a large splash screen which
appears when a certain application is loaded; 2) as a 3 inch by 1 inch logo
which appears at the top of letterhead. The logo that I created in PSP looks
fine when used in the splash screen but it looks fuzzy and jagged when I
shrink the bitmap to use on letterhead. I tried saving the file in .PSP,
.TIF, .BMP and .WMF formats, but could not resolve the problem.

Can CorelDraw solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. Install Fonts

3. 4d Paint Rembrant vs. Mesh Paint

4. No SPAM! Symmetric's Glyder PCI 3D Labs Card Rules!!!!

5. Drawing right away vs. drawing with swapbufers

6. Keeping the faith

7. Corel Draw 8 vs. Corel Draw 9

8. Sound & Vision

9. DirectX drawing vs. default VCL drawing

10. Paint Shop Pro vs Commercial Graphic Prg's