Pixelized Drop-off Shadow

Post by Johann Swa » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:11:41

Can someone perhaps advise me on what technique to apply to get a
pixelized/dotty/grainy/texturized background somewhat similar to the
"glow" shadow in either PhotoPaint or Draw. Close to the object it
should be almost solid, but further away the dots should become
smaller and spread further apart. Any technique to achieve something
similar would be appreciated.
Regards
Johann Swart

Pixelized Drop-off Shadow

Post by Bill Zettle » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:19:54

Ok. This is PP9, your mileage may vary, and there might be a way to
avoid Saving/Loading the mask that I haven't found, but this will work:

(1) Make a copy of your image. I say make a copy because you're going to
mangle it.
(2) Make your selection/mask around which you want your drop-shadow.
(3) Convert the image, via Image/Mode, to 8-bit grayscale. This will
convert the entire image, not just your selection.
(4) Edit/Fill your selection/mask with solid white.
(5) Invert the selection/mask, and Edit/Fill the background with solid
white, too. That's a lot of white you've got there.
(6) Invert the selection/mask back to your original selection, and
create an object from it.
(7) Create the dropshadow in the direction and shape you want using the
Object Dropshadow tool. Use the 'Glow' shadows if that's the style you
want. Use the transparency/feathering adjustments to get the drop-off
the way you want. The shadow will be in contone grayscale; i.e., it's
not what you want just yet.
(8) Object/Combine/Combine all objects with background.
(9) Convert the image, via Image/Mode, to Black and White (1-bit). This
will give you several choices for how to perform the grayscale->speckles
conversion. You want one of the randomized error diffusion modes, or it
will have an unnatural pattern to it. In PP9, the 'Jarvis' error
diffusion algorithm seems to produce the best conversion.
(10) Image/Transform/Invert will make the background black and your
dropshadow white.
(11) Save this thing you've created as whatever filename you like. Don't
use .JPG, since dots are maximum high frequency and will guarantee
maximum distortion and you don't want any distortion at all. I'd use
.CPT. Let's call it DSHADOW.CPT.
(13) Mask/Load/Load From Disk and load in DSHADOW.CPT. PP9 makes me go
through the additional step of clicking on the image to actually put the
mask there.
(14) Your new selection should be exactly what you want. Fill it with
black (or whatever you like) and I think you're done.

Hope this helps,
Bill

> Can someone perhaps advise me on what technique to apply to get a
> pixelized/dotty/grainy/texturized background somewhat similar to the
> "glow" shadow in either PhotoPaint or Draw. Close to the object it
> should be almost solid, but further away the dots should become
> smaller and spread further apart. Any technique to achieve something
> similar would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Johann Swart

Pixelized Drop-off Shadow

Post by Johann Swa » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:26:57

Thanks a million Bill. I guessed that this could only be achieved
through numerous steps, but wasn't sure about the exact procedure. But
the outcome is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks again.
Regards
Johann

> Ok. This is PP9, your mileage may vary, and there might be a way to
> avoid Saving/Loading the mask that I haven't found, but this will work:

> (1) Make a copy of your image. I say make a copy because you're going to
> mangle it.
> (2) Make your selection/mask around which you want your drop-shadow.
> (3) Convert the image, via Image/Mode, to 8-bit grayscale. This will
> convert the entire image, not just your selection.
> (4) Edit/Fill your selection/mask with solid white.
> (5) Invert the selection/mask, and Edit/Fill the background with solid
> white, too. That's a lot of white you've got there.
> (6) Invert the selection/mask back to your original selection, and
> create an object from it.
> (7) Create the dropshadow in the direction and shape you want using the
> Object Dropshadow tool. Use the 'Glow' shadows if that's the style you
> want. Use the transparency/feathering adjustments to get the drop-off
> the way you want. The shadow will be in contone grayscale; i.e., it's
> not what you want just yet.
> (8) Object/Combine/Combine all objects with background.
> (9) Convert the image, via Image/Mode, to Black and White (1-bit). This
> will give you several choices for how to perform the grayscale->speckles
> conversion. You want one of the randomized error diffusion modes, or it
> will have an unnatural pattern to it. In PP9, the 'Jarvis' error
> diffusion algorithm seems to produce the best conversion.
> (10) Image/Transform/Invert will make the background black and your
> dropshadow white.
> (11) Save this thing you've created as whatever filename you like. Don't
> use .JPG, since dots are maximum high frequency and will guarantee
> maximum distortion and you don't want any distortion at all. I'd use
> .CPT. Let's call it DSHADOW.CPT.
> (13) Mask/Load/Load From Disk and load in DSHADOW.CPT. PP9 makes me go
> through the additional step of clicking on the image to actually put the
> mask there.
> (14) Your new selection should be exactly what you want. Fill it with
> black (or whatever you like) and I think you're done.

> Hope this helps,
> Bill

> > Can someone perhaps advise me on what technique to apply to get a
> > pixelized/dotty/grainy/texturized background somewhat similar to the
> > "glow" shadow in either PhotoPaint or Draw. Close to the object it
> > should be almost solid, but further away the dots should become
> > smaller and spread further apart. Any technique to achieve something
> > similar would be appreciated.
> > Regards
> > Johann Swart

1. How to make a drop shadow on an object

Hi, I'm new to this group so if this is an old question I apologize.

I have this logo and I want to give it a drop shadow, but I can't figure out
what I'm doing wrong. I made the background transparent but then the option
is not available and if it is, I get the effect on the logo including the
square (transparent) canvas!! I've tried it in Photoshop, Paint Shop,
Fireworks but it won't work...

Can anyone give me a step-to-step or point me to a URL where this is
explained?

Many many thanks in advance!

Saskia
++ Remove NOSPAM for email

2. A novice in lightwave

3. text and a drop shadow as a GIF

4. Borland BGI 32 (DOS) and Windows 95 (HELP)

5. ANNOUNCE: Corel DRAW! drop shadow tutorial

6. jobs: 3d developers of graphics CAD geometric modeling positions

7. Fancy drop Shadow - How do I do it?

8. 2d and 3d software

9. Shareware/Freeware which support drop shadow?

10. Paint Shop Pro (Drop Shadow)

11. Need Help for Drop shadow!!

12. Can OpenGL drop shadow ?