Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by Brian Hane » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I've been a CorelDRAW user for many many years (ver 3). I'm also very tired
of the condescending looks from other designers because I'm not using
Adobes Illustrator; but I work at a PC. Recently Adobe as released
Illustrator for PC! At last (I'm thinking) all my SNOB designer friends
will no longer look down their noses at me...

I've read several comparison articles -- all stating how CorelDRAW 7 is the
better choice (darn).

Any thoughts? (other than "screw the snobs")

Thanks,
Brian

Post by Nathan Heag » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I've been a CorelDRAW user for many many years (ver 3). I'm also very tired
> of the condescending looks from other designers because I'm not using
> Adobes Illustrator; but I work at a PC. Recently Adobe as released
> Illustrator for PC! At last (I'm thinking) all my SNOB designer friends
> will no longer look down their noses at me...

Here's one: Illustrator feels slower on a 166 pent than draw on a SX486.
--
| Nathan Heagy | InkWell Design | http://www.*link.bc.ca/~rheagy/ |

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by KRHa » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Try out the demo of Illustrator 7.0 from the Adobe website at
http://www.adobe.com/

Illustrator (at least the demo version) takes an incredibly long time (up
to 1.5 minutes) to load on my 200mhz pentium when compared to CorelDraw.

Plus, other advantages would include the software suite that Corel ships
with its product. This was the deciding factor in my choosing Corel to
design graphics.

KRHaze

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by Brian Hane » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm VERY depressed.

I thought for some time over which to do -- upgrade to CorelDRAW 7 or go
with the "rock solid" Adobe product Illustrator 7. I think I made the wrong
choice. I bought CorelDRAW 7 -- the bugfest...

Here is the real frustration...
I save frequently while I work (learned the hard way) HOWEVER sometimes
CorelDRAW 7 will NOT allow me to SAVE. I even tried SAVE AS. I even tried
SELECT ALL / COPY / NEW DOCUMENT and then PASTE -- then SAVE. It is very
frustrating to work several minutes on a project and then NOT be able to
save your work. This is the last straw.

I'm running Pentium 200Mhz with 64 MB ram / Win95

Please advise,
Brian Haney

Quote:> Try out the demo of Illustrator 7.0 from the Adobe website at

Post by Chris McEwe » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I save frequently while I work (learned the hard way) HOWEVER sometimes
> CorelDRAW 7 will NOT allow me to SAVE. I even tried SAVE AS. I even tried
> SELECT ALL / COPY / NEW DOCUMENT and then PASTE -- then SAVE. It is very
> frustrating to work several minutes on a project and then NOT be able to
> save your work. This is the last straw.

> I'm running Pentium 200Mhz with 64 MB ram / Win95

I am also running a P200MMX with 64MB and Win95. I also have the same
problem. I find I can save to a different partition of the hard drive,
drop out of Corel, come back in, reload the file and then save it where
I want.

That is a work-around and not a fix. And it doesn't bolster my
confidence much in this setup. But it saves the file for me....

--Chris McEwen
  Socrates Press

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by Brian Hane » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

You know, the folks at Corel tech support said they have NEVER HEARD OF
THIS PROBLEM!
Thanks for letting me know I not the only one faced with this VERY BASIC
problem.
I suppose until I change to Illustrator (the rock solid Adobe product) I'll
have to deal with the Corel bug-fest. Thanks for helping.
Brian

Post by Foster D. Coburn II » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

<<That is a work-around and not a fix. And it doesn't bolster my
confidence much in this setup. But it saves the file for me....>>

This problem has occured to many of us. The problem is that Corel has
been unable to find the exact steps that cause it to occur. Is there a
particular type of object that causes it? A particular set of steps,
features, effects, etc.? If you or anyone can give those steps, then
Corel may be able to isolate the problem and fix it.

--
Foster D. Coburn III
Unleashed Productions, Inc.

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by Glen C. Siege » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I had a student with this problem on Friday.  CorelDRAW 7 would say it
was saving and then give an error message.  We eventually use SAVE AS
and saved as a CMX file, close the project and then imported the CMX
onto a new page. Not a fix but another work-around.

Glen C. Siegel

Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 ~ Help me decide...

Post by Davi » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi Brian,
I have been using Corel 7 professionally for several months now. I
honestly believe it is absolutely fantastic and possibly the best
release yet in terms of being bug free.
However I also have often experienced the problem when saving.
Frustrating as hell! The only work around I know of is to save as a
Corel Presentation Exchange CMX file. This will lose page setup info,
guidelines, layers and pages etc., but your drawing will be intact (if
all on the same page!).

If anyone else knows a better trick, or if Corel has a bug fix PLEASE
LET ME KNOW.
At the same time, this bug does not appear very often at all (on our
system) though once is often often enough!

Regardless of this bug (and a couple of others I have come across) I am
constantly amazed at what a wonderful drawing tool Corel 7 is. Too good
to be put off by the few bugs.

In relation to Illustrator 7. I have tested it against Corel 7 on the
same machine. It is dog slow. I opened a fairly detailed file (which was
created in Illustrator) in both programs and found that Corel 7 beat the
pants off Illustrator.
Where Corel Draw 7 redraws the screen with a 'pop', Illustrator redraws
it with a 'grind...grind... pause.. pant... pant... grind!' everytime
you change view or pan about the page. With such slow screen redraws,
Illustrator is useless as a professional tool.
I did not bother to go into inspecting the tools Illustrator has on
offer. Coming from a Mac environment I am quite confident that they will
not be impressive enough, easy to use or well integrated to justify the
wait (screen redraws).

I believe your money was well spent!

PS I have Corel 7 Version 7.375

1. IslandDraw vs CorelDRAW vs Adobe Illustrator?

Howdy!  A few quick questions: I know IslandDraw and CorelDRAW are available
for unix (specifically hpux on hp700s), how about Adobe Illustrator?  How do
they compare in general use?  How easy is it to generate mathematical equations
into drawings?  Island has an equation editor that links to IDraw, how about
the other two?

Thanks,
John.
--
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and    |  John Marley

your ways acknowledge him, and He will make  |  Programmer & Sys Admin
your paths straight.   - Proverbs 3:5-6      |  A.D.F.A. Maths Dept.

2. 3DS file format question

3. Freehand vs Illustrator vs CorelDraw

4. hough transform

5. Illustrator 7 vs CorelDRAW 7 - hummmm...

6. Mac Fonts

7. TAN: CorelDraw 7 vs. Illustrator

8. Beziers

9. CorelDRAW vs Adobe Illustrator

10. Apple vs non-Apple - help me decide please

11. Placing Illustrator 5.0 Files in CorelDraw - HELP!

12. Illustrator vs Freehand / Premiere vs. Director

13. Corel Vs Freehand Vs Illustrator