Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Jil Tardi » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:12:55

Hi folks,

 I'm a long-time user of Freehand, but I've just about had it with the
program. With some frequency I need to generate *relatively simple*
scientific drawings which are primarily transferred to Powerpoint, but
sometimes also need to be included in publications. It is a long,
drawn out and imperfect process with Freehand (the *.wmf export is
just terrible). Macromedia always talks about improving the process,
but 3 versions later, I give up.

Does this work better in Corel? Are there any caveats I should know
about before I take the plunge?

Thanks,

Jil

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by David Mutc » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:15:49

Congratulations Jil,
Welcome to the BEST darwing and illustration program without doubt,
EVER. Feature for feature Corel Draw EATS both Illustrator and Freehand
for breakfast, lunch and your four-course dinner.

Freehand is great for integration with dreamweaver, fireworks and flash
but very little else, Ditto with Illustrator and other Adobe products
But Corel Draw is realtively open and will import and export to the
wideest number of formats in the industry - it even exports directly to
PPT. It has without doubt the BEST and most useful interface and after
using it for a while you will wonder why you ever persisted for so long
with such an outdobted interface like Adobe's and then really scratch
you head and wonder why the hell Macromedia want to copy it!! Good Grief!

Draw will not only produce huge 1000 page broadsheet newspapers, but
each page can be a different size!

Draw will zoom in up to 500,000 % !

To copy an object in Draw you just drag it and then click once with the
right mouse button. To get to an object hidden under dozens of others
you just keep clicking with the ALT key depressed until you reach it, or
use the very powerful Object Docker, or you can SEARCH for it.

Draw has had Masterpages for years

Wait till you see how easy and fast it is to create blends, shadows,
powerclips, contours and HEAPS more - there are all interactive with
on-screen, on-object controls.

There are also many really good learning tools about which I can point
you to if interested.

Welcome in to light at last!

- David Mutch
=====================

>Hi folks,

> I'm a long-time user of Freehand, but I've just about had it with the
>program. With some frequency I need to generate *relatively simple*
>scientific drawings which are primarily transferred to Powerpoint, but
>sometimes also need to be included in publications. It is a long,
>drawn out and imperfect process with Freehand (the *.wmf export is
>just terrible). Macromedia always talks about improving the process,
>but 3 versions later, I give up.

>Does this work better in Corel? Are there any caveats I should know
>about before I take the plunge?

>Thanks,

>Jil

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Michael Steven » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 06:28:01

No hard sell here...

Yes, Corel's WMF export module is just fine. The only problem would be
exporing a WMF with a bitmap in it. Those can tend to get a little
large but there are ways around it, especially since you are putting
everything together in PowerPoint.

I found that learning Illustrator, after 12 years of Corel was a pain
in the ass. And since Freehand has many similarities to Illustrator
that pain may reciprocate. But, after you have spent enough time
behine Corel I think you will like it much better.

Plus, it's MUCH faster than Illustrator. If Freehand is as slow as
Illustrator that will be a bonus.

Mike

Quote:>Hi folks,

> I'm a long-time user of Freehand, but I've just about had it with the
>program. With some frequency I need to generate *relatively simple*
>scientific drawings which are primarily transferred to Powerpoint, but
>sometimes also need to be included in publications. It is a long,
>drawn out and imperfect process with Freehand (the *.wmf export is
>just terrible). Macromedia always talks about improving the process,
>but 3 versions later, I give up.

>Does this work better in Corel? Are there any caveats I should know
>about before I take the plunge?

>Thanks,

>Jil

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Jil Tardi » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:02:54

I spent Saturday fiddling with a colleague's version (8, I think) and
I think the transition should be relatively smooth. I appreciate the
heads-up on the bitmaps, Mike.  Pretty amazing to be able to import my
graphic and have it resemble the original.

End result, I'm ordering Ver 10 tomorrow morning.

BTW, does EPS export into Photoshop work reasonably well? I don't have
to do it often..

Thanks,

Jil

Quote:>No hard sell here...

> Yes, Corel's WMF export module is just fine. The only problem would be
> exporing a WMF with a bitmap in it. Those can tend to get a little
> large but there are ways around it, especially since you are putting
> everything together in PowerPoint.

> I found that learning Illustrator, after 12 years of Corel was a pain
> in the ass. And since Freehand has many similarities to Illustrator
> that pain may reciprocate. But, after you have spent enough time
> behine Corel I think you will like it much better.

> Plus, it's MUCH faster than Illustrator. If Freehand is as slow as
> Illustrator that will be a bonus.

> Mike

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by David Mutc » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:55:34

Jil,
After purchase, check the BUILD number on your product. This will tell
you if you need to get Service Pack 1 (SP1) for version 10 (about 11MB)
which is the first round of bug fixes in version 10 .

Click on Help > About Corel Draw (or About Corel Photo-paint) whichever
you are using). Just under the graphic you will see the text "Version
10.xxx" The xxx is the build number. The most recent version, including
SP1 is 10.427. If you have the initial release (10.409) or any number
less than 10.427, you should download and install the SP1.

http://www.corel.com/support/ftpsite/pub/coreldraw/draw10suite/

- David Mutch
=================

>I spent Saturday fiddling with a colleague's version (8, I think) and
>I think the transition should be relatively smooth. I appreciate the
>heads-up on the bitmaps, Mike.  Pretty amazing to be able to import my
>graphic and have it resemble the original.

>End result, I'm ordering Ver 10 tomorrow morning.

>BTW, does EPS export into Photoshop work reasonably well? I don't have
>to do it often..

>Thanks,

>Jil

>>No hard sell here...

>>Yes, Corel's WMF export module is just fine. The only problem would be
>>exporing a WMF with a bitmap in it. Those can tend to get a little
>>large but there are ways around it, especially since you are putting
>>everything together in PowerPoint.

>>I found that learning Illustrator, after 12 years of Corel was a pain
>>in the ass. And since Freehand has many similarities to Illustrator
>>that pain may reciprocate. But, after you have spent enough time
>>behine Corel I think you will like it much better.

>>Plus, it's MUCH faster than Illustrator. If Freehand is as slow as
>>Illustrator that will be a bonus.

>>Mike

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Bob Roa » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 05:01:02

Quote:> BTW, does EPS export into Photoshop work reasonably well? I don't have
> to do it often..

Jil, yeah, that's never been a big problem (provided you don't try
anything too * for the Pshop interpretor like transparency).
What's probably less know is the other direction: Corel (since ver. 7)
can open a PSD directly, maintaining both layers, and alpha
transparency, and most layer modes. Pretty startling stuff the first
time I used it.

As a CDraw user from v.1, I'm not sure I'd be as quick to recommend
v10 for your first working package. But then I've probably got more
bumps on the skull from my wall contact while waiting for the big
patches to come through. A great program, no doubt. But user
discretion advised.

BTW, for Powerpoint, WMF's are crap. They don't anti-alias. The best
thing is to use PNG's. These compress beautifully, anti-alias and PPT
even respects the alpha transparency for real nice edges. That's for
screen shows. For print bound 'line' type work (eg. logos) I'd
recommend real hi-rez GIFs with adaptive indexing. For some reason,
these display with anti-a too, and even with res in the 600 dpi and
higher range, they're a relatively tiny file-- so you can preserve
zoom detail and still get great prints.

Now, my question (or, rather, for a friend). For you CD10 users (I'm
still in v8): anyone know how to shut off the menu bar 'animations'?

Thanks

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by David Mutc » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 19:03:18

Bob,
Menu Bar animations ???? in version 10 of Photo-Paint or Draw??
Sorry I don't think I've seen these yet. Could you be a bit more specific?
Thnxs,
- David Mutch
===========

>[nice stuff SNIPPED out here, sorry]
>Now, my question (or, rather, for a friend). For you CD10 users (I'm
>still in v8): anyone know how to shut off the menu bar 'animations'?

>Thanks

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Bob Roa » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:39:25

Quote:> Menu Bar animations ???? in version 10 of Photo-Paint or Draw??
> Sorry I don't think I've seen these yet. Could you be a bit more specific?
> Thnxs,

David,

Sorry, but I'm relaying this one second hand, never having actually
seen v10 up and running (an old v8 user myself). Apparently, well...
here's what was said:

"Has anybody found a way to stop CorelDraws menus from being
animated? I mean they animate on their own, very slowly (to my
hyperactive self), and don't behave acording to windows settings."

Any idea what he's talking about?

Thanks.

-BR

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Bob Roa » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:42:12

Quote:>For print bound 'line' type work (eg. logos) I'd
> recommend real hi-rez GIFs with adaptive indexing. For some reason,
> these display with anti-a too, and even with res in the 600 dpi and
> higher range, they're a relatively tiny file-- so you can preserve
> zoom detail and still get great prints.

I realized I should have clarified this to read "For non-postscript
print bound"-- which fits your typical MSApp user that we're talking
about.

Sorry bout that.

-BR

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Jil Tardi » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 05:03:54

Thanks for the service pack heads-up, as a long-term Wordperfect user
I know how crucial those can be.

And Bob, that is a *dynamite* suggestion about using PNG, it goes to
show just how long I've been doing this, I remember back when PNG was
new and I never learned to use it. I will definitely give it a shot!

Can't wait, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow, just in time to make
some new slides.

Thanks a million for the advice!

Jil

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Bob Roa » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:32:12

Quote:>I remember back when PNG was
> new and I never learned to use it. I will definitely give it a shot!

Another thing not too many PP users are aware of is that you can quite
easily embed a Flash animation into a PP slide (provided the Flash
plugin has been installed on the system). That gives you a lot more
options than PP's interactivity and animation. (It'll also blow away
the execs who think they know everything about PP. Just make sure the
projector system has the Flash installed!).

-BR

Want to switch from Freehand to CorelDraw...one important question 1st

Post by Stump » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:54:47

I use Corel (10) and powerpoint (2000) all the time.  Just copy corel
items to the clipboard - then in powerpoint select paste special and
insert items as windows metafiles - not as corel draw object.  This
method works great even for fairly complex drawings, but be sure to
have plenty of ram.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
-Jack Handy