double clicking files to have all open in same program window

double clicking files to have all open in same program window

Post by carl » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 02:35:33

I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
working.

I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
that opened for the first one.

I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
in this area.

Thanks in advance.

--
Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

http://www.carljordan.com

Post by daytrippe » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 03:11:17

>I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
>opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
>reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
>cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
>working.

>I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
>that opened for the first one.

>I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
>steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
>always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

>It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
>within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
>hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
>setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
>in this area.

>Thanks in advance.

- Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

- Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

- Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
  CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

- In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
Edit button

- The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
appended to it.

eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

OR

The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

*and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
Application:    coreldrw_MOS
DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
application to perform this action)
Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

/daytripper

double clicking files to have all open in same program window

Post by NOto.. » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:24:52

FWIW I have this happen in Word 97 occasionally, and it's fixed by
removing the file association and then "re-registering" Word.  Maybe try
removing .cdr .cdt .cpt associations, then double-click a .cdr file.
When asked what program to use to open this filetype, choose Draw and
make sure "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.  Try
the same with .cpt and PhotoPaint.

Then again, I only have Draw 8.  Maybe Draw 9 is like Word 2000, where
each opened document is represented by a separate button on the taskbar
(?).

Post by carl » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:44:03

> >I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> >opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> >reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> >cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> >working.

> >I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> >that opened for the first one.

> >I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> >steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> >always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> >It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> >within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
> >hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> >setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
> >in this area.

> >Thanks in advance.

> - Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

> - Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

> - Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
>   CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

> - In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
> Edit button

> - The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
> appended to it.

> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

> OR

> The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
> entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

> *and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

> DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
> Application:    coreldrw_MOS
> DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
> application to perform this action)
> Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

> Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

> /daytripper

Thank you for the suggestion.  Took me so long to get back because of a number of
unexpected events in the last couple of weeks, and I've hardly been online.

I had success using this, but only with the Draw files.  It remains with the
PhotoPaint ones.  That is, every double click opens up a new applications.

I'll keep playing with it.  There is another suggestion following yours, that I
will also try.

Again, thanks.

Post by carl » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:44:34

> FWIW I have this happen in Word 97 occasionally, and it's fixed by
> removing the file association and then "re-registering" Word.  Maybe try
> removing .cdr .cdt .cpt associations, then double-click a .cdr file.
> When asked what program to use to open this filetype, choose Draw and
> make sure "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.  Try
> the same with .cpt and PhotoPaint.

> Then again, I only have Draw 8.  Maybe Draw 9 is like Word 2000, where
> each opened document is represented by a separate button on the taskbar
> (?).

> > I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> > opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> > reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> > cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> > working.

> > I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> > that opened for the first one.

> > I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> > steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> > always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> > It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> > within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
> > hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> > setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
> > in this area.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

> > http://www.carljordan.com

Thanks, I'll give it a try, and let you know how I do.

Post by daytrippe » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:52:56

>> >I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
>> >opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
>> >reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
>> >cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
>> >working.

>> >I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
>> >that opened for the first one.

>> >I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
>> >steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
>> >always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

>> >It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
>> >within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
>> >hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
>> >setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
>> >in this area.

>> >Thanks in advance.

>> - Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

>> - Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

>> - Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
>>   CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

>> - In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
>> Edit button

>> - The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
>> appended to it.

>> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

>> OR

>> The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
>> entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

>> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

>> *and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

>> DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
>> Application:    coreldrw_MOS
>> DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
>> application to perform this action)
>> Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

>> Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

>> /daytripper

>Thank you for the suggestion.  Took me so long to get back because of a number of
>unexpected events in the last couple of weeks, and I've hardly been online.

>I had success using this, but only with the Draw files.  It remains with the
>PhotoPaint ones.  That is, every double click opens up a new applications.

>I'll keep playing with it.  There is another suggestion following yours, that I
>will also try.

>Again, thanks.

Do the same thing, only replace the occurrence of "CDR" with "CPT" (and
JPG/JPEG/BMP/TIFF/etc, ie: anything you want to open in PhotoPaint) and
replace the occurrence of "coreldrw.exe" with "photopnt.exe".

The procedure I outlined is generic. You can use it to create default and/or
optional associations for any file type, and any application.

cheers.

/daytripper

Post by carl » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:04:33

> >I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> >opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> >reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> >cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> >working.

> >I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> >that opened for the first one.

> >I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> >steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> >always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> >It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> >within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
> >hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> >setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
> >in this area.

> >Thanks in advance.

> - Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

> - Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

> - Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
>   CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

> - In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
> Edit button

> - The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
> appended to it.

> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

> OR

> The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
> entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

> *and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

> DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
> Application:    coreldrw_MOS
> DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
> application to perform this action)
> Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

> Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

> /daytripper

Well, I kept on trying, and just can't seem to get it to work right for the
photopaint images.  I guess I'll just give up on it at this point.  I will just
have to use the file|open pulldown menu.  Though it is another step, it does use
up lots less memory.

What you suggested is exactly how the Draw images are set up and how they open.  I
tried to mimic it for photopaint, but not go.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Post by carl » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:05:51

> FWIW I have this happen in Word 97 occasionally, and it's fixed by
> removing the file association and then "re-registering" Word.  Maybe try
> removing .cdr .cdt .cpt associations, then double-click a .cdr file.
> When asked what program to use to open this filetype, choose Draw and
> make sure "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.  Try
> the same with .cpt and PhotoPaint.

> Then again, I only have Draw 8.  Maybe Draw 9 is like Word 2000, where
> each opened document is represented by a separate button on the taskbar
> (?).

> > I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> > opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> > reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> > cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> > working.

> > I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> > that opened for the first one.

> > I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> > steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> > always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> > It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> > within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
> > hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> > setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
> > in this area.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

> > http://www.carljordan.com

I tried the removing and disassociation steps, but still no go.  I think I
will just give up and use the file|open step.  It is an additional step, but
uses lots less memory.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Post by carl » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:12:49

> >> - Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

> >> - Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

> >> - Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
> >>   CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

> >> - In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
> >> Edit button

> >> - The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
> >> appended to it.

> >> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

> >> OR

> >> The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
> >> entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

> >> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

> >> *and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

> >> DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
> >> Application:    coreldrw_MOS
> >> DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
> >> application to perform this action)
> >> Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

> >> Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

> >> /daytripper

> >Thank you for the suggestion.  Took me so long to get back because of a number of
> >unexpected events in the last couple of weeks, and I've hardly been online.

> >I had success using this, but only with the Draw files.  It remains with the
> >PhotoPaint ones.  That is, every double click opens up a new applications.

> >I'll keep playing with it.  There is another suggestion following yours, that I
> >will also try.

> >Again, thanks.

> Do the same thing, only replace the occurrence of "CDR" with "CPT" (and
> JPG/JPEG/BMP/TIFF/etc, ie: anything you want to open in PhotoPaint) and
> replace the occurrence of "coreldrw.exe" with "photopnt.exe".

> The procedure I outlined is generic. You can use it to create default and/or
> optional associations for any file type, and any application.

> cheers.

> /daytripper

Still no go for me.  I don't understand what the problem is, but I think I'll just
give in the the greater powers of MS (which is where I think the solution lies, not
with Corel), and go back to using the file|open pull down menu.

Thanks for the tips.

Post by carl » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:13:49

> FWIW I have this happen in Word 97 occasionally, and it's fixed by
> removing the file association and then "re-registering" Word.  Maybe try
> removing .cdr .cdt .cpt associations, then double-click a .cdr file.
> When asked what program to use to open this filetype, choose Draw and
> make sure "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.  Try
> the same with .cpt and PhotoPaint.

> Then again, I only have Draw 8.  Maybe Draw 9 is like Word 2000, where
> each opened document is represented by a separate button on the taskbar
> (?).

> > I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> > opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> > reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> > cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> > working.

> > I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> > that opened for the first one.

> > I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> > steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> > always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> > It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> > within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat my
> > hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> > setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate help
> > in this area.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > --
> > Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

> > http://www.carljordan.com

Well, I gave this a try, and I it is still the same.  So I think I'll just
give up, and go back to file|open.  At least it uses lots less memory.

Post by carl » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:15:24

> >> - Open an Explorer (file browser) window.

> >> - Tools - Folder Options... - File Types

> >> - Scroll the Registered File Types list box down to
> >>   CDR   CorelDRAW Graphic and select it, then click the Advanced button

> >> - In the Actions list box select the bolded (default) action, and click the
> >> Edit button

> >> - The entry in the "Application used to perform action" box should have a "%1"
> >> appended to it.

> >> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" %1

> >> OR

> >> The "Use DDE" checkbox should be enabled, the "Application to perform action"
> >> entry should have  "-DDE" appended to it

> >> eg:  "e:\corel\draw10\programs\coreldrw.exe" -DDE

> >> *and* the associated DDE parameters template filled in, as follows:

> >> DDE Message:    [O("%1")]
> >> Application:    coreldrw_MOS
> >> DDE Application Not Running: Can be left blank (Windows will use the default
> >> application to perform this action)
> >> Topic: Can be left blank (windows will use System)

> >> Either way you choose you'll open multiple files into the same application.

> >> /daytripper

> >Thank you for the suggestion.  Took me so long to get back because of a number of
> >unexpected events in the last couple of weeks, and I've hardly been online.

> >I had success using this, but only with the Draw files.  It remains with the
> >PhotoPaint ones.  That is, every double click opens up a new applications.

> >I'll keep playing with it.  There is another suggestion following yours, that I
> >will also try.

> >Again, thanks.

> Do the same thing, only replace the occurrence of "CDR" with "CPT" (and
> JPG/JPEG/BMP/TIFF/etc, ie: anything you want to open in PhotoPaint) and
> replace the occurrence of "coreldrw.exe" with "photopnt.exe".

> The procedure I outlined is generic. You can use it to create default and/or
> optional associations for any file type, and any application.

> cheers.

> /daytripper

Still no go for me.  I don't understand what the problem is, but I think I'll just
give in the the greater powers of MS (which is where I think the solution lies, not
with Corel), and go back to using the file|open pull down menu.

If fact, after the image opens now, I get an error message telling me it cannot find
the image (the one that just opened) and to check the path, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

double clicking files to have all open in same program window

Post by Ken Rylan » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:37:51

I have Draw/Paint 9 on Win95 and cannot make this work. CD works fine but PP
will open up the application a second time no matter what I do.

Ken Ryland

> > FWIW I have this happen in Word 97 occasionally, and it's fixed by
> > removing the file association and then "re-registering" Word.  Maybe try
> > removing .cdr .cdt .cpt associations, then double-click a .cdr file.
> > When asked what program to use to open this filetype, choose Draw and
> > make sure "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.  Try
> > the same with .cpt and PhotoPaint.

> > Then again, I only have Draw 8.  Maybe Draw 9 is like Word 2000, where
> > each opened document is represented by a separate button on the taskbar
> > (?).

> > > I have Draw/Paint 9.  Whenever I double click a file in explorer, it
> > > opens up into a new program window.  That is, the program itself
> > > reopens.  Of course, that uses up much more RAM (I have 256), and I
> > > cannot have as many images open as I would like sometimes when I am
> > > working.

> > > I would like each one to open as a new window within the same program
> > > that opened for the first one.

> > > I know that one choice is to go to File|Open, but for me, that is more
> > > steps than necessary, because while it goes to the right folder, I
> > > always have to sort the folder to find the file I want.

> > > It used to be that every one I double clicked opened as a new window
> > > within the program, but at one point some time ago I had to reformat
my
> > > hd and reinstall all programs, such as Corel.  Now I cannot find any
> > > setting to change this back to the way it was.  I would appreciate
help
> > > in this area.

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > --
> > > Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

> > > http://www.carljordan.com

> Well, I gave this a try, and I it is still the same.  So I think I'll just
> give up, and go back to file|open.  At least it uses lots less memory.

1. Paint Shop doesn′t open the files I double-click in Windows

Paint Shop Pro is set as default program for e.g. JPEG-files (In "File
Associations"), and if I double-click a JPG-image in my explorer, Paint Shop
Pro opens up. But instead of opening the picture(s) I clicked in explorer,
it just opens an explorer window INSIDE Paint Shop Pro. I am running verison
7 under Windows 2000 Pro. Please help.

Gorm

2. Epson Stylus Pro - Can't get good printouts

3. Problem opening files with double click on Mac

4. Learning PM Scripting

5. PSP jpg problem: Won't come up when double-clicked on in Windows Explorer

6. GeForce II MX cards?

7. Paint Shop Pro 4 - double-clicking image files starts a new copy of the app

8. Motion Blur and Alpha: Compositing

9. Double clicking on TIF files - PM6.52

10. Cannot double-click tools.

11. Double clicking