Tiffs don't separate in CD7

Post by Stephen Hil » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I recently purchased CD7 for use in a small magazine publishing business ...
it's been a time consuming and costly experience so far. I run a PC based
system using Pagemaker 6.5 for layout. Problems:

1. Imported tiffs don't separate. I've used CD7 to make up adverti*t
artwork - e.g. import tiff files, add and manipulate text and other graphics
etc, then export the resulting art from CD7 as an EPS file to place in
Pagemaker. From Pagemaker the final layout is written as a postscript file
for imagesetting. However, in all the EPS files exported from CD7, the tiffs
did not separate, but appeared as a grayscale composite on the black plate
only! All the other graphics and text in the files would separate fine - but
not the tiffs that were imported into CD7. As a result I had to entirely
remake the artwork without using imported tiffs in CD7. This cost me an
extra couple of days work and an extra set of film. I was not a happy man.

2. The EPS files seem to get blown up to a huge size - way out of proportion
to the elements contained therein.

Are these known problems? Can I download a fix?

--
Stephen Hill
in Hamilton - where it happens!

Tiffs don't separate in CD7

Post by not-mattm.. » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I recently purchased CD7 for use in a small magazine publishing business ...
>it's been a time consuming and costly experience so far. I run a PC based
>system using Pagemaker 6.5 for layout. Problems:

>1. Imported tiffs don't separate. I've used CD7 to make up adverti*t
>artwork - e.g. import tiff files, add and manipulate text and other graphics
>etc, then export the resulting art from CD7 as an EPS file to place in
>Pagemaker. From Pagemaker the final layout is written as a postscript file
>for imagesetting. However, in all the EPS files exported from CD7, the tiffs
>did not separate, but appeared as a grayscale composite on the black plate
>only! All the other graphics and text in the files would separate fine - but
>not the tiffs that were imported into CD7. As a result I had to entirely
>remake the artwork without using imported tiffs in CD7. This cost me an
>extra couple of days work and an extra set of film. I was not a happy man.

This has always been a problem for me as well. I've never been able
to get colour tiffs contained within Corel-generated EPS files to
separate from PageMaker. Does anyone know whether Corel 8
has finally fixed this problem?

Quote:

>2. The EPS files seem to get blown up to a huge size - way out of proportion
>to the elements contained therein.

What format are you choosing for the EPS header? I always use B&W at
72dpi. That gives you enough of an image for placing in PageMaker, but
keeps the EPS file size to a minimum.
Quote:

>Are these known problems? Can I download a fix?

>--
>Stephen Hill
>in Hamilton - where it happens!

Tiffs don't separate in CD7

Post by Dick Wilso » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You're not trying to separate RGB TIF's are you? Shouldn't they be CMYK? -
Just the first thought that came to mind.

I use Corel PhotoPaint7 and QuarkXPress on the PC, and ran into a problem
when I created a silhouette on a photo using a path, then exported it as an
EPS file. I printed the Quark file on my Postscript printer, and it was
fine. I used a RIP program to double check it on the screen, and it looked
OK. When the printer converted it to his Mac system, all that printed was
the low-res TIF file, despite the fact that it was something like a 24MB
file. I did it over, but brought it into Photoshop to make the EPS
file--this made the transition to their Mac OK.

Quote:> I recently purchased CD7 for use in a small magazine publishing business
..
> it's been a time consuming and costly experience so far. I run a PC based
> system using Pagemaker 6.5 for layout. Problems:

1. TIFF files don't show under All Image Files

I was using a friend's computer (PC, Win98, PS5.02) and he pointed out a
strange problem.  Seems that in his Open dialogue box, when he selects All
Image Files to be displayed, it doesn't display TIFF (.tif) files.  He has
to select TIFF files specifically to be able to see and select them.

Now excuse me but(!), I always considered TIFF files a standard image type.
Is there something wrong with his system, or is this just a Photoshop quirk?

    *David Barber*

2. Kernel32.dll page fault

3. Question About Separated TIFF Images

4. Sub-Lease Available

5. Separating spot color in tiff

6. WinGimp not showing opened images?

7. Creating multi-page TIff file from separate Tif files

8. Pagemaker 6, Distiller: messages and no check box for "distill now"

9. Any way to separate layers into separate files?

10. Pict vs Tiff (can't import tiff files)

11. COREL 7 FOUNTAIN FILL WON'T PROPERLY SEPARATE IN PAGEMAKER 6.5

12. EPS spot colour won't separate