HOW TO PLAY AN ANIMATED GIF in VB5?

Post by SuperDic » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

How can I play an animated GIF in VB5?
Is there an API can help me?

And then, can I read a specific image of an icon resource file?

Thanks

Post by David Eriksso » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> How can I play an animated GIF in VB5?
> Is there an API can help me?

There is no API support for GIFs at all. You have to read and interpret
the GIF file and uncompress each frame to BMP. Something preferably done
in Visual C++.

Quote:> And then, can I read a specific image of an icon resource file?

An ICO file can only have one icon. For icons in EXEs and DLLs, you can
use the LoadLibrary(...) and LoadIcon(...) API calls.

Regards,
                     -/- David Eriksson -/-

2 G o o D   P r o d u c t i o n s  ->  http://www.2goodsoft.com/

HOW TO PLAY AN ANIMATED GIF in VB5?

Post by Kerry B. Roger » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> An ICO file can only have one icon.

This sounds like bogosity. Part of the header information in an icon file
is the number of icons imbedded within the file, right? Maybe, I'm thinking
of something else...

Post by SaSka » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> An ICO file can only have one icon.

thats not nesacarily true... if you examine some of the icons that
came with your windows 95(assuming you are running that or
greater)... they technically have 1 or more icons in the single ico
file... IE: a 16x16, a 32x32, a 48x48 etc... etc.. so that they can
be properly displayed... not all programs will let you do it but
microangelo gives you the power to take advatage of it.. so
truthfully a ICO file can have more than 1 icon...

Post by Chris Marriot » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> An ICO file can only have one icon.

>thats not nesacarily true... if you examine some of the icons that
>came with your windows 95(assuming you are running that or
>greater)... they technically have 1 or more icons in the single ico
>file... IE: a 16x16, a 32x32, a 48x48 etc... etc.. so that they can
>be properly displayed... not all programs will let you do it but
>microangelo gives you the power to take advatage of it.. so
>truthfully a ICO file can have more than 1 icon...

An icon can have multiple "device images", but these aren't,
technically, different icons - they are the same icon at different
resolutions. They all share the same "ID".

Chris

Chris Marriott, Microsoft Certified Solution Developer.

Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com

Post by Thoralf Nordt?mm » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> : >> An ICO file can only have one icon.
> : >
> : >thats not nesacarily true... if you examine some of the icons that
> : >came with your windows 95(assuming you are running that or
> : >greater)... they technically have 1 or more icons in the single
> ico
> : >file... IE: a 16x16, a 32x32, a 48x48 etc... etc.. so that they
> can
> : >be properly displayed... not all programs will let you do it but
> : >microangelo gives you the power to take advatage of it.. so
> : >truthfully a ICO file can have more than 1 icon...
> : >
> :
> : An icon can have multiple "device images", but these aren't,
> : technically, different icons - they are the same icon at different
> : resolutions. They all share the same "ID".
> but they dont have to be the same image...

And the subject was... how to play an animated gif..

Here's an example of what I found searching "animate +gif" on Usenet:

GVBOX.OCX,        http://www.programmersheaven.com/files/files.html
                        "Windows Programming".

--

  Thoralf

  My reply-address is made-up to avoid junk-mail, please use the address
above!

HOW TO PLAY AN ANIMATED GIF in VB5?

Post by Harry Simpso » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

There's an animated gif ocx control which can accomplish this.
http://www.toptown.com/nowhere/jinhui/

-Harry