Set the printer PaperBin and PaperSize

Post by Massari Michel » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:33:40

Hi,
I'm just developing a VB Application with printing capabilities, using only
API calls and no the Printer Object.
I know howto retrieve printer driver settings using documentProperties,
GetDeviceCaps, DeviceCapabilities.
Now I have all the paperbins available but now, how i can set a specific
paperbin?
The same thing is for the papers... I have a list of supported papers but,
how i can set the current paper size?
And then... it's necessary specify the paper size? I know the physical width
and the available width and then, I know where I must to print. Is It
important set the papersize or I can manage my printable area myself?

PS: I'm sorry for my bad english and I hope you have understand anywhere my
problem.

Thanks a lot

Michele Massari

Set the printer PaperBin and PaperSize

Post by Mike D Sutto » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:41:00

Quote:> I'm just developing a VB Application with printing capabilities, using
only
> API calls and no the Printer Object.
> I know howto retrieve printer driver settings using documentProperties,
> GetDeviceCaps, DeviceCapabilities.
> Now I have all the paperbins available but now, how i can set a specific
> paperbin?
> The same thing is for the papers... I have a list of supported papers but,
> how i can set the current paper size?
> And then... it's necessary specify the paper size? I know the physical
width
> and the available width and then, I know where I must to print. Is It
> important set the papersize or I can manage my printable area myself?

See if these are of any use to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q180/6/45.asp
http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/lev2/4/lev3/32/pid/222/fid/3604
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 - Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -

WWW: Http://www.mvps.org/EDais/

1. Obtaining paperbin numbers for VB printing and Tektronix printer question

I have a couple of questions, one general VB printing related question and
one related to a specific printer we have acquired.

First, the VB question:

What is the best way to obtain the numbers to equate to a lower bin, an
upper bin, a middle tray, etc. of different printers when printing from
Visual Basic?  We currently use a trial and error stand alone program that
essentially attempts every possible number assignment (having already marked
the blank pages in each bin so we know which number goes with which bin), we
find the acceptable number vs. bins associations, go to the VB program and
plug them in for a particular printer.  I would guess there is an API call
or something to easily find this info by "asking" the printer driver.  I
believe this because Word seems to always know where the trays are by
number, and I doubt it has built in every tray configuration out there.

Now, the specific printer question.

We just bought a Tektronic 850 color printer which is rated the following
speed:
Fast mode -- 14 ppm paper max speed NOT INCLUDING IMAGE PROCESSING TIME
Standard mode -- 8 ppm paper max speed NOT INCLUDING IMAGE PROCESSING TIME
We are averaging more like 4 ppm in FAST mode but of course do have some
picture objects in the documents we are printing.  We have the optional hard
drive, 128 mb RAM on the printer, etc.  I will say the document that takes
BY FAR the longest is 4 times the size of the others (it is a duplexed
document with more pictures than any other document).  My question is are
there any settings that I can try changing to speed this "dog" up or is the
key phrase in their speed rating "not including image processing time." :-)
Also, our client really decided on this since it was to be used for them.
Is this a good printer as far as speed and qualify for color printing?

Thanks for any help on these two issues.  - Tom

2. Barcodes

3. papersize problem

4. HELP FOR MAX_ARTISTS?HERE IT IS!

5. Probl. COREL4,5 + DIN-A3-Papersize

6. Distributed mpeg client

7. Printing, Postscript and custom papersize

8. FS:HP 4P Color Scanner New

9. ICM setting in HP Printer driver

10. How to set a printer profile in PS for Windows - Epson 1270

11. Set up Acrobat Distiller as a system printer?

12. Problems for setting printer margins

13. Setzen Papierformaten am Drucker / Setting of Paperformats on Printer