True complementary italics

Post by Edward Ripley-Dugga » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:39:01

I'm thinking of switching over from Pagemaker 6.5 to InDesign 2. One
thing that bugs me about Pagemaker is that the italic created from the
palette or keyboard shortcut is simply a slanted roman, not the true
italic from of the font, and I have yet to find a way to map the true
complementary italic etc. to ^i. Two questions:

1: Other than search & replace, has anyone come up with a fix for this
issue?

2. Is this corrected in InDesign?

Best,

Edward Ripley-Duggan.

True complementary italics

Post by Neil Goul » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:15:14

Hi,

> I'm thinking of switching over from Pagemaker 6.5 to InDesign 2. One
> thing that bugs me about Pagemaker is that the italic created from the
> palette or keyboard shortcut is simply a slanted roman, not the true
> italic from of the font, and I have yet to find a way to map the true
> complementary italic etc. to ^i. Two questions:

> 1: Other than search & replace, has anyone come up with a fix for this
> issue?

Fake bolds and italics are a real pain. To avoid accidentally using them,
you can chose your typeface from the character palette rather than using the
convenience buttons or keyboard.

Quote:> 2. Is this corrected in InDesign?

More appropriately, "is this handled correctly in InDesign (as it is in
Ventura)"? Yes. You can't use typefaces that you don't have.

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Post by Sherry - PIP Printin » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:15:12

> Hi,

>> I'm thinking of switching over from Pagemaker 6.5 to InDesign 2. One
>> thing that bugs me about Pagemaker is that the italic created from the
>> palette or keyboard shortcut is simply a slanted roman, not the true
>> italic from of the font, and I have yet to find a way to map the true
>> complementary italic etc. to ^i. Two questions:

>> 1: Other than search & replace, has anyone come up with a fix for this
>> issue?

> Fake bolds and italics are a real pain. To avoid accidentally using them,
> you can chose your typeface from the character palette rather than using the
> convenience buttons or keyboard.

>> 2. Is this corrected in InDesign?

> More appropriately, "is this handled correctly in InDesign (as it is in
> Ventura)"? Yes. You can't use typefaces that you don't have.

> Regards,

And I would add to his Yes, a resounding AND HOW! and WOO HOO! to the way
fonts are handled in InDesign. :)

My favorite part (even though it's so tiny and simple!) is how you can have
InDesign flag unloaded fonts in pink. Would be nice if you could customize
the color but hey, pink is good.

1. True complementary italics

So, am I right in that even if I have "Arial Italic" font (for example) in
my Fonts folder, when I italicize using "I" from the Control Palette, it is
not really italic?

So...if "Arial Italic" is in my Fonts folder, why doesn't it show up on my
Font menus?

What about if I am defining a style (which I am about to use in a 125 page
document)?

Thanks!

2. ASE information/help!

3. complementary italics

4. Dupin cyclide

5. How do I find a complementary color

6. HELP !!! how to do character animation

7. convert to complementary colors?

8. complementary colors, how to derive?

9. Is this true, or true crap?

10. Conversion of windows true type to Mac true type

11. Maya FREE for 30 days...(True, true)

12. Harlow Solid Italic Font