.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Edward Le » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I have some .PDF files that I am tyring to place into a PM 6.5 Plus
document. They look and print horrible when placed into the PM document.
Pictures are blurry and text is jagged. If I open the file in Acrobat, it
looks and prints fine.

Any advice? BTW, I'm not the creator of the .PDF file.

Thanks for any help,
Ed Lee

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Edward Le » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I think that I may have jusst found the answer to my question. Is it because
I am printing to a non-postscript printer? I assume that the film from the
service bureau will solve this problem, correct?

Ed Lee

Quote:> I have some .PDF files that I am tyring to place into a PM 6.5 Plus
> document. They look and print horrible when placed into the PM document.
> Pictures are blurry and text is jagged. If I open the file in Acrobat, it
> looks and prints fine.

> Any advice? BTW, I'm not the creator of the .PDF file.

> Thanks for any help,
> Ed Lee

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by SCG » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I would say: YES and YES.
scg

>I think that I may have jusst found the answer to my question. Is it
because
>I am printing to a non-postscript printer? I assume that the film from the
>service bureau will solve this problem, correct?

>Ed Lee

>> I have some .PDF files that I am tyring to place into a PM 6.5 Plus
>> document. They look and print horrible when placed into the PM document.
>> Pictures are blurry and text is jagged. If I open the file in Acrobat, it
>> looks and prints fine.

>> Any advice? BTW, I'm not the creator of the .PDF file.

>> Thanks for any help,
>> Ed Lee

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Gordon Woo » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Ed...

Correct. Placing the PDF creates an EPS (encapsulated postscript)
graphic in PageMaker. Non-postscript printers print only the preview.

A workaround is to hold down the shift key as you place the PDF. This
will bring up the filter options, where you can set the preview option
to a much higher DPI for the preview. If you select say 300, you'll
get a huge file (the filter window will tell you how big), but it
should then print well (but slowly) to your printer.

However, don't send the printer the version with the huge preview.

>I think that I may have jusst found the answer to my question. Is it because
>I am printing to a non-postscript printer? I assume that the film from the
>service bureau will solve this problem, correct?

The Worsley Press, Hastings, Australia
Publication production website: www.worsleypress.com
Our Format newsletter: www.worsleypress.com/format/
(for those who produce newspapers, magazines, newsletters)

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Edward Le » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

Our service bureau is telling me that once I place the PDF file into
PageMaker, it will ONLY print at the low resolution. This seems to
contradict what I am hearing from folks in the newsgroup as well as what I
read at Adobe's website.

I made him print a copy to his postscript laser printer while I was there
and much to his surprise, it looked fine. He's refusing to make any
guarantees when going to plates though. Unfortunatley, we're too far into
this project and too close to the deadline to switch printers now. Ugh!
Thoughts?

Thanks for your help,
Ed Lee

> Ed...

> Correct. Placing the PDF creates an EPS (encapsulated postscript)
> graphic in PageMaker. Non-postscript printers print only the preview.

> A workaround is to hold down the shift key as you place the PDF. This
> will bring up the filter options, where you can set the preview option
> to a much higher DPI for the preview. If you select say 300, you'll
> get a huge file (the filter window will tell you how big), but it
> should then print well (but slowly) to your printer.

> However, don't send the printer the version with the huge preview.

> >I think that I may have jusst found the answer to my question. Is it
because
> >I am printing to a non-postscript printer? I assume that the film from
the
> >service bureau will solve this problem, correct?

> The Worsley Press, Hastings, Australia
> Publication production website: www.worsleypress.com
> Our Format newsletter: www.worsleypress.com/format/
> (for those who produce newspapers, magazines, newsletters)

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by John Jord » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Our service bureau is telling me that once I place the PDF file into
>PageMaker, it will ONLY print at the low resolution. This seems to
>contradict what I am hearing from folks in the newsgroup as well as what I
>read at Adobe's website.

>I made him print a copy to his postscript laser printer while I was there
>and much to his surprise, it looked fine. He's refusing to make any
>guarantees when going to plates though. Unfortunatley, we're too far into
>this project and too close to the deadline to switch printers now. Ugh!
>Thoughts?

He's never done it before, that's why he won't guarantee it. His
imagesetter is PostScript, so it will output fine.

For future projects you can stick with him and educate him about PDF.
Or you can decide you want someone who keeps up better with new
technologies.

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect.
Delete "xnospam" from the username.

Post by Gerard Desroche » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

> He's never done it before, that's why he won't guarantee it. His
> imagesetter is PostScript, so it will output fine.

I agree.
But if it still doesn't work, a workaround could be to open your pdf
files in Photoshop (rasterization), flatten the images and save them in
.tif format. Then, you change the links in Pagemaker (from.pdf to .tif)
and give the PM file plus the .tif files to your service Bureau.
I say again that this is only a workqround if your Service bureau
doesn't want to put your PM files with PDf included onto plate
Gerard Desroches

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Edward Le » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Gerard. What are the disadvantages to the process you described below
(using Photoshop to convert to .tiff)?

Thanks for the info,
Ed Lee

Quote:> > He's never done it before, that's why he won't guarantee it. His
> > imagesetter is PostScript, so it will output fine.

> I agree.
> But if it still doesn't work, a workaround could be to open your pdf
> files in Photoshop (rasterization), flatten the images and save them in
> .tif format. Then, you change the links in Pagemaker (from.pdf to .tif)
> and give the PM file plus the .tif files to your service Bureau.
> I say again that this is only a workqround if your Service bureau
> doesn't want to put your PM files with PDf included onto plate
> Gerard Desroches

.PDF files look and print bad when placed in PM 6.5 Plus

Post by Gerard Desroche » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks Gerard. What are the disadvantages to the process you described
below
> (using Photoshop to convert to .tiff)?

I do not see any major disadvantages, except the time it takes !
Convert pdf files one by one in Photoshop (rasterization takes some
time); check the result; flatten the image (if you want to save it in
another format than PS's .psd); save the image; go to PM; change the
links... Depending on the number of docs you have, it could take a while
but you could also "automate" parts of the process.
And do not forget to give to your service bureau all the .tif files
linked in your PM doc.
Good luck
Gerard

Post by Steve Rindsber » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Our service bureau is telling me that once I place the PDF file into
>PageMaker, it will ONLY print at the low resolution. This seems to

On what authority do they base this assertion?  How do they back it up?
Ask.  It should be worth a giggle.
Either they haven't a clue, they're wrong, or they're not doing their output
to PS.  IAC, you might consider slipping into your track shoes and running
like hell. <g>

1. Can NOT print PM 6.5 file to PDF!

I have a fairly straightforward file that will NOT export or otherwise
convert to PDF no matter WHAT I do.

It's a 4 page document where there have been a couple PDF files placed as a
couple of the pages.

The PDF files I placed there were created by printing to a .EPS source,
distilled with Distiller into a .PDF file, then edited a little with Acrobat
5.  So it was all Adobe all the way.

I placed the PDF files into the PM document and added a small amount of
text.

Now, whenever I either try to "EXPORT" to a PDF file *or* if I try to PRINT
to a postscript file then try to distill it, I get the same error in the
log.  I have pasted it below.

Please offer advice.  I *need* to get this file into PDF so I may print it
on a non-PS printer!  I just don't understand WHY, since Acrobat 5 created
the PDF, that Distiller cannot process it.

Here is the error message:

%%[ Error: typecheck; OffendingCommand: defineresource ]%%

Stack:
/ColorSpace
/DeviceGray
/N29
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

2. Electric Image users?

3. PM 6.5 Plus (Mac) and exporting to PDF

4. Intergraph System

5. PM 6.5, WinNT, and HP 4 Plus Printing problem

6. Help with 3ds max

7. Placed .tif /.pic files unreadable when exported to pdf from PageMaker 6.5

8. Letterhead Logo

9. Placing Corel WP 8 text files into PM 6.5

10. PDF files from PM 6.5

11. Problem printing placed Illustrator files in Pagemaker 6.5

12. PM 6.52 not placing some PDF files

13. Error Printing Windows PM 6.5 PS file on Mac