Multi-Page Template of Text Frames. PM 6.5

Multi-Page Template of Text Frames. PM 6.5

Post by Stuart Willi » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone offer a solution/route to the construction of a 100 page
template wherein all pages are represented by identical Text Frames as place-holders.
In other words, how to replicate a carefully structured text frame
layout on many pages.   Nowhere in the User Manual is this subject even
touched upon.

The "Insert Pages" command does not of course replicate other than the
empty default pages.

There is an Adobe Tech Support email address

separate exchanges the dim-wits have been peddling a Master Pages route
- which is of course ridiculous.

This is not exactly rocket science stuff and the replication of
structured text frame layout to many pages as a template would hardly
seem an unreasonable objective when using a desktop publishing
Application such as Pagemaker.

Copy and Paste is a poor route since firstly it would involve 100
separate actions on each of 100 pages.  And there is the pixel by pixel
"paste offset" to be corrected on each page.
Not precise or reliable enough as a layout from which colour separation
work be late conducted.

I am truly stumped and humbly seek a solution from any PM6.5 exponent
who has acomplished this seemingly simplistic task.

Anybody remember the old PageMaker 3 command "Duplicate Pages" ?
Yep!  It was as easy as that.   But no more it seems.

Stuart Willis
Sunny Queensland, Downunder.
_________________________

Multi-Page Template of Text Frames. PM 6.5

Post by Gordon Woo » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

This would seem an ideal job for a script.

Box xLeft, yTop, xRight, yBottom
ToggleFrame

and put it in a loop for every page from 1 to 100.

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:57:58 +1000, Stuart Willis

>Can anyone offer a solution/route to the construction of a 100 page
>template wherein all pages are represented by identical Text Frames as place-holders.
>In other words, how to replicate a carefully structured text frame
>layout on many pages.   Nowhere in the User Manual is this subject even
>touched upon.

>The "Insert Pages" command does not of course replicate other than the
>empty default pages.

>There is an Adobe Tech Support email address

>separate exchanges the dim-wits have been peddling a Master Pages route
>- which is of course ridiculous.

>This is not exactly rocket science stuff and the replication of
>structured text frame layout to many pages as a template would hardly
>seem an unreasonable objective when using a desktop publishing
>Application such as Pagemaker.

>Copy and Paste is a poor route since firstly it would involve 100
>separate actions on each of 100 pages.  And there is the pixel by pixel
>"paste offset" to be corrected on each page.
>Not precise or reliable enough as a layout from which colour separation
>work be late conducted.

>I am truly stumped and humbly seek a solution from any PM6.5 exponent
>who has acomplished this seemingly simplistic task.

>Anybody remember the old PageMaker 3 command "Duplicate Pages" ?
>Yep!  It was as easy as that.   But no more it seems.

>Stuart Willis
>Sunny Queensland, Downunder.
>_________________________

Gordon Woolf, The Worsley Press, Hastings, Vic., Australia
--- Book publishers and sub-contract newspaper page production ---
Our books (and PageMaker hints): www.worsleypress.com
Our Format newsletter: www.worsleypress.com/format.htm
(for those who produce newspapers, magazines, newsletters)

Multi-Page Template of Text Frames. PM 6.5

Post by jay » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

why do you need at text frame on every page? can you set your pages
using the document setup and columns, This will work if you are using
a rectangular layout. the only reason to use frames is if your layout
is of an "irregular" (other than rectangular) shape. It is very easy
to set up a multicolumn masterpage and insert and flow text through
many pages.Pagemaker does not put much emphasis on text frames unlike
quark which insists on them.  I don't quite know what "a carefully
structured text frame layout on many pages"really means, can you
descibe what you need to do in a little more detail

Post by Stuart Willi » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> why do you need at text frame on every page? can you set your pages
> using the document setup and columns, This will work if you are using
> a rectangular layout. the only reason to use frames is if your layout
> is of an "irregular" (other than rectangular) shape. It is very easy
> to set up a multicolumn masterpage and insert and flow text through
> many pages.Pagemaker does not put much emphasis on text frames unlike
> quark which insists on them.  I don't quite know what "a carefully
> structured text frame layout on many pages"really means, can you
> descibe what you need to do in a little more detail

Sure.  If you have the PageMaker 6.5 User Manual, take a look at the
illustration on Page 184.
The layout which I require is not possible using columns.  The layout is
as your surmise, irregular and with some frames which are other than
rectangular. That's what I meant by "structured".

Thanks your follow up.