Can't find PM65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4 file

Can't find PM65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4 file

Post by Jane » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:30:46

I need to put two printer ppd files in this file, but I cannot find
the file anywhere in PM. I have the ppd.exe file, tho.  Do I need to
create a custom PPD or do I need to reinstall PM and set up the ppds
at that time? The directions for creating this custom PPD are
intimidating and I am afraid that after I do it, I won't be able to
print! I have been able to print, but the paper sizes are limited to
letter and legal on one printer and letter size on the other. I need
other sizes now. Thank you!

Can't find PM65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4 file

Post by Gordon Wool » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 06:58:57

Check if the ppd.exe file is in fact a self-extracting zip file of a
lot of ppd files. Some printer manufacturers supply the ppd files in
this form (QMS is one). The correct ppd for your printer should have
come with the documentation for your printer if it is a postscript
printer -- check the installation discs for the printer.

Alternatively, check the printer manufacturer's web site.

Remember that the ppd file has to go in two locations for PageMaker --
installed as part of the Windows printer install process inone of the
system folders, and in the local PM ppd4 folder.

I hope this helps.

Quote:>I need to put two printer ppd files in this file, but I cannot find

--
Gordon Woolf
The Worsley Press <www.worsleypress.com>

Post by J C » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:36:41

Quote:>I need to put two printer ppd files in this file, but I cannot find
>the file anywhere in PM. I have the ppd.exe file, tho.  Do I need to
>create a custom PPD or do I need to reinstall PM and set up the ppds
>at that time? The directions for creating this custom PPD are
>intimidating and I am afraid that after I do it, I won't be able to
>print! I have been able to print, but the paper sizes are limited to
>letter and legal on one printer and letter size on the other. I need
>other sizes now. Thank you!

Don't worry, after you install a new printer you will still be able to
print.

Here's how you should proceed:
1. Put the PM install disk in and look at the first menu. On it you
will find a selection for installing the Adobe 4.1.1 driver
2. Once you click this you will be presented with a screen on which
you can select a specific PostScript printer to install.

I think that going through this process will create the ppd directory
that you seem to be missing.

After you install at least one PostScript printer (as I remember it)
you can then go back and install others. The required PPDs are on the
PM CD -- though they will not be the most current. Additionally, the
PM 6.5 CD does not have the most recent version of the PostScript
driver (but frankly, that usually isn't much of a concern). If you are
concerned you can go to Adobe's web site and get the latest PS driver.

BUT be warned, do not install duplicate printer models (drivers)
because this will cause problems. So after you finish installing what
you need (in Windows) check your printer folder and make sure you do
not have any printers listed with the word "copy" in their names.

Additionally, in Windows, after installing printers, it is a good
practice to go into the win.ini file and manually delete all the lines
that begin with the word "softfonts."

-- JC

Post by Jane » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 05:38:48

> Check if the ppd.exe file is in fact a self-extracting zip file of a
> lot of ppd files. Some printer manufacturers supply the ppd files in
> this form (QMS is one). The correct ppd for your printer should have
> come with the documentation for your printer if it is a postscript
> printer -- check the installation discs for the printer.

> Alternatively, check the printer manufacturer's web site.

> Remember that the ppd file has to go in two locations for PageMaker --
> installed as part of the Windows printer install process inone of the
> system folders, and in the local PM ppd4 folder.

> I hope this helps.

> >I need to put two printer ppd files in this file, but I cannot find
> >the file anywhere in PM. I have the ppd.exe file, tho.  Do I need to
> >create a custom PPD or do I need to reinstall PM and set up the ppds
> >at that time? The directions for creating this custom PPD are
> >intimidating and I am afraid that after I do it, I won't be able to
> >print! I have been able to print, but the paper sizes are limited to
> >letter and legal on one printer and letter size on the other. I need
> >other sizes now. Thank you!

Thank you Gordon! I have the ppd files from the installation discs for
both printers and they are presently in windows, but I can't find this
local ppd4 (pm65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4)file in PM! The ppd.exe file is
an Update PPD 2.01. It has a popdown that gives me 4 ppds I could
update. General, Color general, acrobat distiller 2017.801 and Adobe
LaserJet II. It doesn't list my other two printers, obviously because
they are not in the ppd4 folder! Janet

Can't find PM65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4 file

Post by Dick Marguli » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:45:10

Janet,

PPD4 is a folder, not a file. If for some reason it is not where it
should be, you can create it yourself and then throw the PPD files into it.

Dick

Post by Jane » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:37:57

> I need to put two printer ppd files in this file, but I cannot find
> the file anywhere in PM. I have the ppd.exe file, tho.  Do I need to
> create a custom PPD or do I need to reinstall PM and set up the ppds
> at that time? The directions for creating this custom PPD are
> intimidating and I am afraid that after I do it, I won't be able to
> print! I have been able to print, but the paper sizes are limited to
> letter and legal on one printer and letter size on the other. I need
> other sizes now. Thank you!

WOW - with all your help and my persistance in figuring this out - it
was indeed easy! Using "find" did not find the PPD4 FOLDER. I finally
found it myself and it had been staring me in the face! I went to PM65
folder. Opened the "Rsrc" folder. Then opened the "Usenglsh" folder,
then, voila - there was the "PPD4" folder! I just copied and pasted
the ppds from the printer installation discs and it works. I hope this
will help someone down the line. Don't know what use the "find"
feature is in windows, but that's another research question for later.
Thanks to all.

Can't find PM65/rsrc/usenglish/ppd4 file

Post by Jerry Frissel » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:47:41

[SNIP]

Quote:> WOW - with all your help and my persistance in figuring this out - it
> was indeed easy! Using "find" did not find the PPD4 FOLDER. [SNIP]

Strange. I plugged "PPD4" into the "Named" window in Find and searched
("Look In") the C: drive. It took me right to it. Go figure.

Jerry Frissell
TOTALGRAPHICS
Palm Harbor, FL