2ND TRY - Illustrator 7 graphin to Pagemaker 6.5 problem

2ND TRY - Illustrator 7 graphin to Pagemaker 6.5 problem

Post by Phil Sheffie » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I posted this message earlier then noticed a bad typo in the last
sentence of the next to last paragraph, concerning the size of the
Illustrator 7 file. Please disregard the earlier message and I
apologize for any inconvenience.

I recently installed Adobe Illustrator v7.0 after using Corel Draw
quite a while without the problem Illustrator presents when I attempt
the same chore. I cant move an Illustrator created graphic containing
graduated fills of different colors to my Pagemaker 6.5 without
loosing quality. Although its most likely because Im not yet
proficient with this application combo, its frustrating and maybe
someone out there can offer a suggestion Ive not found in the
Illustrator manual or from Adobe Tech support.

Im using the Pagemaker and Illustrator v7.0 in Windows 95. My work is
publishing User Group newsletters which are converted to Adobe Acrobat
PDFs for a color electronic edition that is posted on our clubs web
page (http://www.cftnet.com/members/gtbpcug) and printed on an Epson
Stylus Color printer in black and White which is sent to a photocopier
for mass production

The problem graphic is about 8x2 inches, contains a gradient (linear)
fill from orange to yellow, a circle with a radial fill from orange to
yellow and a silhouette of a palm tree..

When the graphic is created and copied from Illustrator 7.0 then
pasted to a Pagemaker 6.5 document it converts to Postscript that
looks and prints awful. If I "Paste Special" to Pagemaker the graphic
seems to print OK but displays in Pagemaker as awful combinations of
eerie colors. That eerie display turns more normal if the Pagemaker
display is minimally magnified but the image already starts to fall
apart although I though the dpi was originally set to 200 dpi.

Using Corel, I could create the graphic, use the same colors and ask
for it to have 200 steps in the gradients. When copied and simply
pasted to Pagemaker it looks and prints perfect on the Epson Stylus.
The Corel Graphic pasted to Pagemaker wouldnt fall apart even under
extreme magnification. The Illustrator 7.0 graphic "Pasted Special"
looks like a bitmap in Pagemaker and falls apart under just medium
magnification and took up much MORE space.

Im becoming frustrated. Im thinking of going back to the Corel and
tempted to pass the Illustrator to folks who really deserve it..my
in-laws <grin>.

2ND TRY - Illustrator 7 graphin to Pagemaker 6.5 problem

Post by Dave Tinsl » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm doing some guessing here but here's what may be happening.  When you copy
and paste from AI to PM in Windows, it is being done by going through the
clipboard in Windows Metafile format.  AI generates absolutely terrible WMF's.
So bad they are really not useable.  There is no word on when or if they are
going to fix this.

When you paste special, the AI file retains its native format BUT you are
getting a WMF bitmap as representation of the file.  That's why it looks terible
but prints ok.

> [...]

>magnification and took up much MORE space.

>Im becoming frustrated. Im thinking of going back to the Corel and
>tempted to pass the Illustrator to folks who really deserve it..my
>in-laws <grin>.

2ND TRY - Illustrator 7 graphin to Pagemaker 6.5 problem

Post by Phil Sheffie » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I'm doing some guessing here but here's what may be happening.  When you copy
>and paste from AI to PM in Windows, it is being done by going through the
>clipboard in Windows Metafile format.  AI generates absolutely terrible WMF's.
>So bad they are really not useable.  There is no word on when or if they are
>going to fix this.

>When you paste special, the AI file retains its native format BUT you are
>getting a WMF bitmap as representation of the file.  That's why it looks terible

That may be true but why,  when I paste the Illustrator 7.0 graphic to
Pagemaker, it displays awfuf.....if I paste it to Corel, Photoshop or
even Paint Shop Pro it  displays fine?

Also, when I past it to Corel, Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, I don't
have to perform a "Paste Special" to keep it from turning into a
Postscript file.

Corel and Illustrator are vector based drawing programs. Corel
graphics seem to convert to Pagemaker 6.5 without a hitch.

It's not that it looks awful that bothers me. It's tough to see and
adjust other elements that might be layered on top of it .

Thanks for your reply
Phil Sheffield

Post by Ahto Me » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I'm doing some guessing here but here's what may be happening.  When you copy
>and paste from AI to PM in Windows, it is being done by going through the
>clipboard in Windows Metafile format.  AI generates absolutely terrible WMF's.
>So bad they are really not useable.  There is no word on when or if they are
>going to fix this.

>When you paste special, the AI file retains its native format BUT you are
>getting a WMF bitmap as representation of the file.  That's why it looks terible
>but prints ok.

IMHO the copying and pastig graphics is a wrong way to go.

You should just save your artwork as an native AI or EPS format and place it to
Pagemaker.

Post by coste.. » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>I'm doing some guessing here but here's what may be happening.  When you copy
>>and paste from AI to PM in Windows, it is being done by going through the
>>clipboard in Windows Metafile format.  AI generates absolutely terrible WMF's.
>>So bad they are really not useable.  There is no word on when or if they are
>>going to fix this.

>>When you paste special, the AI file retains its native format BUT you are
>>getting a WMF bitmap as representation of the file.  That's why it looks terible
>>but prints ok.

>IMHO the copying and pastig graphics is a wrong way to go.

>You should just save your artwork as an native AI or EPS format and place it to
>Pagemaker.

Further placing a native AI or EPS into PM provides you with a screen
preview of your image (at 72 dpi) but the file will print  correctly.

If you drag and drop or copy and paste all you get is a 72 dpi
rasterized image!

J. Costello

1. Pagemaker 6.5 - Illustrator 6.0 - Postscript 3 Problem

I am getting phantom lines in prints of Illustrator files placed in
Pagemaker 6.5 documents.  I have printed this file okay many times
before.  What I mean by phantom lines is, for example:  line art of an
open semicircle where I am getting a print of the imaginery line that
would make the semicircle a closed path.  The file prints okay from
Illustrator.

I am using Illustrator 6.0 on a Mac Power Center (7200 series) operating
on OS8.1 with 64mb RAM.  This week I installed a new board for my Xante
8300.  The board was upgraded to 1200 dpi resolution and Adobe
Postscript 3.  To do this upgrade I had to add new drivers for the
Postscript 3.  I have not added or deleted any other software, hardware
or changed my system folder in any other way.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Flickering pixels in BMRT2.5

3. Problem printing placed Illustrator files in Pagemaker 6.5

4. RGB to CMYK (me too [sigh])

5. Illustrator 7.0 graphic to Pagemaker 6.5 problem

6. REVIEW: 3d Creature Workshop book

7. Trying to place into Pagemaker 6.5

8. Pagemaker 6.5 and Pagemaker 6.5 Plus

9. Opening PageMaker 6.5 PC files in PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac

10. Illustrator 9 file into Pagemaker 6.5