Which Format for PS Graphics - EPS or TIF?

Which Format for PS Graphics - EPS or TIF?

Post by Brian » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:03:37

Which is the best format to use for placing graphics in PM that were
prepared in Photoshop using clipping paths for transparency, EPS or TIF?
The version 7 manual (p.257) says to use EPS for vector graphics when
preparing for either high-res postscript imagesetter, or process-color
separations, however, I have seen a number of people saying to use TIF.  I
know I use CMYK TIF for bitmap images such as photos, but for a transparent
PS vector graphic with a clipping path I would think it should be EPS
according to the manual.  Either one seems to import into PM fine.  This is
for a brochure to be printed by commercial printer using 4-color offset
printing.
Thanks for any advice.
-BrianZ

Which Format for PS Graphics - EPS or TIF?

Post by Neil Goul » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:27:10

Hi,

> Which is the best format to use for placing graphics in PM that were
> prepared in Photoshop using clipping paths for transparency, EPS or TIF?

In the past, one would typically use EPS format when including clipping
paths. Some flavors of TIF w/clipping paths will work with some layout
apps (such as PM), but the EPS format will work in more situations.
Additionally, layout applications will not alter EPS files during output,
whereas color management issues can result in unexpected changes to the
TIF file output. The TIF format does often result in smaller files, but
testing is a good idea.

Regards,

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Post by J C » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:59:58

>Hi,

>> Which is the best format to use for placing graphics in PM that were
>> prepared in Photoshop using clipping paths for transparency, EPS or TIF?

>In the past, one would typically use EPS format when including clipping
>paths. Some flavors of TIF w/clipping paths will work with some layout
>apps (such as PM), but the EPS format will work in more situations.
>Additionally, layout applications will not alter EPS files during output,
>whereas color management issues can result in unexpected changes to the
>TIF file output. The TIF format does often result in smaller files, but
>testing is a good idea.

Just one added note, I have seen EPS files created in Photoshop cause
Acrobat Distiller to fail when attempting to create a PDF (from a PS
file created through PM).

To correct the error (not sure what that error is), we open the
offending EPS in Illustrator and resave, then place that version in
PM.

For some reason Distiller then accepts the file and creates a useable
PDF.

Go figure.

-- JC

Which Format for PS Graphics - EPS or TIF?

Post by Jay Chevak » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:47:40

"J C"

Depends on how the .eps was saved. Jpg encoding can cause havoc to all kinds
of system. I forget what Illustrator defaults to, Ascii or Binary encoding,
but I know it doesn't use jpg encoding.
It may be easier to save out of Photoshop using Ascii or Binary.
Jay

1. reducing size *.eps and *.tif format

Can you tell how I reduce the file size of an object in *.eps and *.tif
format from approx. 800 KB to less than 50 KB without loosing quality.
Changing the Image size by reducing height/width and resolution, results
in shaded colours and "jaggs".
Thanks in advance

2. JLIP Video Capture

3. How to convert various grahic formats into .eps or .ps /GHOSTVIEW

4. Main Form....

5. PS,EPS -> WPG or some useful format

6. BMP, TIF, and IFF graphics formats

7. Latex says ( unknown graphics format jpg,eps, etc).

8. EPS to Graphics Format Converter

9. FREEHAND - Importing EPS format graphics

10. Exporting EPS Format Graphics

11. Q: eps to gif, jpg or tif