InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Carl Brenne » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:32:46

This seems like it should be so simple, yet I can't figure out how to do
it.

Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
(in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

In addition, I've tried setting up a keyboard shortcut using the
shortcut feature in InDesign's Edit menu, and I still can't seem to do
it. (Despite the fact that I've successfully set up many others before.)
It's as if being in the type environment simply overrules everything
else.

What am I missing? Isn't this possible?

Thanks,
Carl

--

InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Sherry - PIP Printin » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:44:02

On 6/26/03 12:32 PM, Carl Brenner at

> This seems like it should be so simple, yet I can't figure out how to do
> it.

> Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
> to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
> (in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
> done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
> tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
> mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
> will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
> but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
> obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
> work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

> In addition, I've tried setting up a keyboard shortcut using the
> shortcut feature in InDesign's Edit menu, and I still can't seem to do
> it. (Despite the fact that I've successfully set up many others before.)
> It's as if being in the type environment simply overrules everything
> else.

> What am I missing? Isn't this possible?

> Thanks,
> Carl

You don't mention whether you are in a Mac or PC environment... but on my
Mac I achieve this by holding down the command key and the pointer will
toggle between the text tool and the last selection tool used.

For  quick move, this works great :)

Post by Carl Brenne » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:37:38

> On 6/26/03 12:32 PM, Carl Brenner at

> > Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
> > to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
> > (in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
> > done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
> > tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
> > mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
> > will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
> > but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
> > obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
> > work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

> > In addition, I've tried setting up a keyboard shortcut using the
> > shortcut feature in InDesign's Edit menu, and I still can't seem to do
> > it. (Despite the fact that I've successfully set up many others before.)
> > It's as if being in the type environment simply overrules everything
> > else.

> > What am I missing? Isn't this possible?
> You don't mention whether you are in a Mac or PC environment... but on my
> Mac I achieve this by holding down the command key and the pointer will
> toggle between the text tool and the last selection tool used.

> For  quick move, this works great :)

Thanks for your reply, Sherry. I'm on a Mac, and yes, I'm aware that
using the command key will produce this behavior. I'm just looking for a
way to exit the type tool "for good" (i.e., not have the program revert
to the type tool upon release of the command key). Basically, what I'm
grumbling about is this: The way the app is designed, you can use
keyboard shortcuts to select any tool at any time ... except if the text
insertion point is active. It's not the hugest deal in the world; I just
wish I could set up a hot key that would do this for me, and I can't
seem to. So what I'm doing is simply moving the cursor outside of the
current text box and clicking. That inactivates the text insertion point
and I can then switch tools via the shortcuts, but it seems slightly
kludgy to me, and I was wondering if there was a better way, that's all.

Carl

--

InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Donn Smit » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:10:34

Quote:> Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
> to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
> (in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
> done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
> tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
> mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
> will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
> but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
> obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
> work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

Ctrl+Tab followed by V seems to work for me. This is, though, on a PC.

--Donn

InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Sherry - PIP Printin » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:20:34

On 6/26/03 2:37 PM, Carl Brenner at

> Thanks for your reply, Sherry. I'm on a Mac, and yes, I'm aware that
> using the command key will produce this behavior. I'm just looking for a
> way to exit the type tool "for good" (i.e., not have the program revert
> to the type tool upon release of the command key). Basically, what I'm
> grumbling about is this: The way the app is designed, you can use
> keyboard shortcuts to select any tool at any time ... except if the text
> insertion point is active. It's not the hugest deal in the world; I just
> wish I could set up a hot key that would do this for me, and I can't
> seem to. So what I'm doing is simply moving the cursor outside of the
> current text box and clicking. That inactivates the text insertion point
> and I can then switch tools via the shortcuts, but it seems slightly
> kludgy to me, and I was wondering if there was a better way, that's all.

> Carl

I can't believe I missed that in your description. You DID say that and like
a parrot I just said what you said. (covers face in shame)  I'll never post
and talk on the phone at the same time again......

You are right though, I played with it a bit and it does seem kind of
awkward not to be able to move from the text tool to another tool and stay
there.

You realize now it's going to bug me, too ::grumble grumble::

:)

Post by Sherry - PIP Printin » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:51:55

On 6/26/03 2:37 PM, Carl Brenner at

>> On 6/26/03 12:32 PM, Carl Brenner at

>>> Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
>>> to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
>>> (in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
>>> done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
>>> tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
>>> mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
>>> will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
>>> but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
>>> obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
>>> work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

>>> In addition, I've tried setting up a keyboard shortcut using the
>>> shortcut feature in InDesign's Edit menu, and I still can't seem to do
>>> it. (Despite the fact that I've successfully set up many others before.)
>>> It's as if being in the type environment simply overrules everything
>>> else.

>>> What am I missing? Isn't this possible?

>> You don't mention whether you are in a Mac or PC environment... but on my
>> Mac I achieve this by holding down the command key and the pointer will
>> toggle between the text tool and the last selection tool used.

>> For  quick move, this works great :)

> Thanks for your reply, Sherry. I'm on a Mac, and yes, I'm aware that
> using the command key will produce this behavior. I'm just looking for a
> way to exit the type tool "for good" (i.e., not have the program revert
> to the type tool upon release of the command key). Basically, what I'm
> grumbling about is this: The way the app is designed, you can use
> keyboard shortcuts to select any tool at any time ... except if the text
> insertion point is active. It's not the hugest deal in the world; I just
> wish I could set up a hot key that would do this for me, and I can't
> seem to. So what I'm doing is simply moving the cursor outside of the
> current text box and clicking. That inactivates the text insertion point
> and I can then switch tools via the shortcuts, but it seems slightly
> kludgy to me, and I was wondering if there was a better way, that's all.

> Carl

Okay... I created a text block and typed text in it...and left the text tool
selected and the insertion point...blinking.

Went under Edit - Keyboard shortcuts and under the default group I selected
Tools under Product Area.

Scrolled down to Selection Tool which, when clicked, shows Default = V as
you mentioned.

I went to the new shortcut box and pressed the F1 key on my keyboard.

It showed as (unassigned) so I clicked "assign" and it added it for my
shortcuts for the selection tool. (didn't want to delete the default; might
need that later ;) )

Since the F1 key is not a text character, it switches to the selection tool
not only from the active text tool when you hit it, but from any other tool
as well.

Only problem is that the text container itself is still selected and you
still have to click off of it with the selection tool to deselect it. Any
way you look at it, you will still have to deselect, but at least this way
you will have the correct tool to do it with :)

Does this help at all?

(rubs bleary eyes from working too late and hoping she didn't miss the
obvious again... LOL)

InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Marek William » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:45:13

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:32:46 -0400, Carl Brenner

Quote:>Is there a keyboard shortcut - or can I set one up - that will allow me
>to switch to the selection tool while the text insertion point is active
>(in other words, while the text tool is currently selected)? When I'm
>done inserting or typing text and I want to switch to the selection
>tool, I don't see how I can get around eventually having to use the
>mouse to do it. I realize from the manual that hitting the command key
>will allow me to revert to the previous tool as long as I hold it down,
>but I still end up back in the text tool when I release the key. And
>obviously the regular keyboard shortcut for the selection tool (V) won't
>work because I just end up typing a V into my document.

>In addition, I've tried setting up a keyboard shortcut using the
>shortcut feature in InDesign's Edit menu, and I still can't seem to do
>it. (Despite the fact that I've successfully set up many others before.)
>It's as if being in the type environment simply overrules everything
>else.

>What am I missing? Isn't this possible?

As far as I know, it cannot be done. When you are in text mode you can
switch to other tools only temporarily by holding a key down. For
example, you can switch to the selection tool by holding down the
Ctrl/Cmd key, but the minute you release it, you will be back in text
mode. Text mode is the only mode where this happens. If you are in any
other tool you can switch permanently to another tool.

I think the problem is that there is no way to make the program trap
out a keystroke without thinking it is to enter text. In other tools
you wouldn't be entering text, so all keystrokes except a few special
ones can be assigned for switching to other tools.

I haven't got InDesign running at the moment, so I can't test this,
but why don't you try using some really odd combination without a
letter, like Cmd+Option+F10? It may be the letter that's the stumbling
block.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.

InDesign 2.0 tool selection question

Post by Carl Brenne » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:02:47

Quote:> Okay... I created a text block and typed text in it...and left the text tool
> selected and the insertion point...blinking.

[snip description of setting up shortcut]

Quote:> Only problem is that the text container itself is still selected and you
> still have to click off of it with the selection tool to deselect it. Any
> way you look at it, you will still have to deselect, but at least this way
> you will have the correct tool to do it with :)

> Does this help at all?

Yes, that's a bit of an improvement, thanks. I like the fact that it
requires less mouse motion. Thanks for making the effort to help out!

(And thanks to all who replied to this thread.)