Scaling illustrations - keep proportions

Scaling illustrations - keep proportions

Post by Martin Peters » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:08:11

Maybe it's just me being blind, but:
How do you scale an illustration placed in a PM6.5 file after it is
placed - and with PROPORTIONS kept?

Martin Petersen

Post by Helpful Harr » Tue, 13 May 2003 15:53:35

> Maybe it's just me being blind, but:
> How do you scale an illustration placed in a PM6.5 file after it is
> placed - and with PROPORTIONS kept?

> Martin Petersen

As with many things in PageMaker, there are numerous ways to do this:

  - the easiest is to simply hold down the Shift key while dragging
    any of the images 'handles' (the small black boxes at each corner
    and in the middle of each side).

  - click on the image and type a new scale into the relevant boxes
    on the Control Palette - you may need to click on one of the
    corner 'handles' of the icon on the left of the Control Palette
    to be able to access both scale boxes.

  - scale the image however you like and then click on small button
    in the second column to the right of the next to the scale boxes
    (the one above the print/don't-print button).

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

Post by Martin Peters » Tue, 13 May 2003 16:29:43

> > Maybe it's just me being blind, but:
> > How do you scale an illustration placed in a PM6.5 file after it is
> > placed - and with PROPORTIONS kept?
>   - the easiest is to simply hold down the Shift key while dragging
>     any of the images 'handles' (the small black boxes at each corner
>     and in the middle of each side).

>   - click on the image and type a new scale into the relevant boxes
>     on the Control Palette - you may need to click on one of the
>     corner 'handles' of the icon on the left of the Control Palette
>     to be able to access both scale boxes.

>   - scale the image however you like and then click on small button
>     in the second column to the right of the next to the scale boxes
>     (the one above the print/don't-print button).

Hi Harry
Thanks a lot; you were indeed helpful!
And while we're at it: Do you know if scaling illustrations within a PM
publication causes problems for "real printing" (Postscript and all
...)?
Or should one preferably scale pictures before inserting them?
Martin

Post by Dick Marguli » Tue, 13 May 2003 20:11:37

>>>Maybe it's just me being blind, but:
>>>How do you scale an illustration placed in a PM6.5 file after it is
>>>placed - and with PROPORTIONS kept?

>>  - the easiest is to simply hold down the Shift key while dragging
>>    any of the images 'handles' (the small black boxes at each corner
>>    and in the middle of each side).

>>  - click on the image and type a new scale into the relevant boxes
>>    on the Control Palette - you may need to click on one of the
>>    corner 'handles' of the icon on the left of the Control Palette
>>    to be able to access both scale boxes.

>>  - scale the image however you like and then click on small button
>>    in the second column to the right of the next to the scale boxes
>>    (the one above the print/don't-print button).

> Hi Harry
> Thanks a lot; you were indeed helpful!
> And while we're at it: Do you know if scaling illustrations within a PM
> publication causes problems for "real printing" (Postscript and all
> ...)?
> Or should one preferably scale pictures before inserting them?
> Martin

Martin,

Your instincts are correct. You should scale images in Photoshop before
placing them in PageMaker, taking into account the image resolution
recommended by your printer, and you should provide the scaled image
files (TIFFs) to your printer along with the PM file. Use Utilities >
Plug-ins > Save for Service Provider to package everything up nicely.

However, there are a couple of exceptions:

If your illustrations are vector drawings rather than images, you will
have placed them as EPS files (ideally). These can be scaled at will in
PageMaker with no ill effects.

And if you are printing to an office laser printer, you can get away
with scaling in PageMaker. But in this situation, you could end up with
a moir effect. To prevent this, PageMaker has a neat trick. It will do
the arithmetic for you if you let it. Hold down BOTH the ctrl and shift
keys while dragging the image corner. The size of the image will jump to
only the reduction/enlargement scales that prevent moirs. These detent
points are determined by the resolution of the image and the resolution
of the target printer (the printer you specify in File > Document Setup,
not the printer listed in the Print dialog).

Dick

Scaling illustrations - keep proportions

Post by Lyn Egglest » Tue, 13 May 2003 22:53:11

Quote:> And while we're at it: Do you know if scaling illustrations within a PM
> publication causes problems for "real printing" (Postscript and all
> ...)?
> Or should one preferably scale pictures before inserting them?
> Martin

It is usually better to scale graphics in the program which
created/edited  them e.g. Photoshop before placing them in PM. This is
mainly to maintain your image resolution at the optimum (300dpi for
offset printing). If you scale up or down, you decrease or increase
your resolution accordingly. Too high a resolution is a waste of RIP
time - too low and the image may become visibly pixelated. I know you
don't always know how big a graphic has to be until after you have
completed the layout. If this is the case, then take note of the size
of your scaled graphic(s) and then go back into Photoshop and make
them the correct size i.e. 100% - under Image>Image Size and uncheck
the resampling option (assuming you already have them at 300dpi)
before inputting the new dimensions. Once yu have your graphics at
100%/300dpi update your graphics links (or place the pics into PM
again after deleting the first lot). If the rescaling is less than 10%
either way it's probably OK to leave them as is.

Post by Martin Peters » Tue, 13 May 2003 23:05:47

> > And while we're at it: Do you know if scaling illustrations within a PM
> > publication causes problems for "real printing" (Postscript and all
> > ...)?
> > Or should one preferably scale pictures before inserting them?
> > Martin

> It is usually better to scale graphics in the program which
> created/edited  them e.g. Photoshop before placing them in PM. This is
> mainly to maintain your image resolution at the optimum (300dpi for
> offset printing). If you scale up or down, you decrease or increase
> your resolution accordingly. Too high a resolution is a waste of RIP
> time - too low and the image may become visibly pixelated. I know you
> don't always know how big a graphic has to be until after you have
> completed the layout. If this is the case, then take note of the size
> of your scaled graphic(s) and then go back into Photoshop and make
> them the correct size i.e. 100% - under Image>Image Size and uncheck
> the resampling option (assuming you already have them at 300dpi)
> before inputting the new dimensions. Once yu have your graphics at
> 100%/300dpi update your graphics links (or place the pics into PM
> again after deleting the first lot). If the rescaling is less than 10%
> either way it's probably OK to leave them as is.

Thanks to both of you for thorough answers. In this case it is not a lot
"up and down", hm, I think I will ask my printer how they look at it in
the light of their procedures. This is a small "citizens' magazine" with
a lot of pictures, commericals and so on, and really many of them have
to be resized somehow. Having to go all the way "out again", scaling the
originals and replacing in publication will take a lot of time. So I
pray it will be allright to leave them as is.

Thanks a lot.

Martin

Scaling illustrations - keep proportions

Post by Jay Chevak » Tue, 13 May 2003 23:15:57

"Martin Petersen"
Having to go all the way "out again", scaling the

Quote:> originals and replacing in publication will take a lot of time. So I
> pray it will be allright to leave them as is.

It really doesn't take that much time. And I am a firm beleiver of
sharpening images in Photoshop at the final size.
Jay

Post by Helpful Harr » Wed, 14 May 2003 06:05:54

> "Martin Petersen"
> > Having to go all the way "out again", scaling the
> > originals and replacing in publication will take a lot of time. So I
> > pray it will be allright to leave them as is.

> It really doesn't take that much time. And I am a firm beleiver of
> sharpening images in Photoshop at the final size.
> Jay

Usually what I do is place fairly large images into the PageMaker
documents and scale them there ... BUT only until the client / customer
is happy with the design. That way I can still making them bigger or
smaller as necessary with any of their wishes.

THEN, once the document has reached the finalised design, I go back to
scale and crop the images in ColourIt / Photoshop to their proper
sizes.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

Scaling illustrations - keep proportions

Post by Martin Peters » Wed, 14 May 2003 15:57:47

Thanks to all for your fast answers; this is a great group!
(Feels great sitting here in a little town in Denmark, sweating over
this, my first "real" layout/dtp-job and then getting answers to
problems from the other side of the world within a few hours ...)
Martin

Post by Martin Peters » Fri, 16 May 2003 02:10:39

> I think I will ask my printer how they look at it in
> the light of their procedures.

And the "prepress-man" at the printer's said that scaling up until  125,
maybe150% would be alright if the TIFFs are 300 dpi, and that there are
no problems scaling down.

Mantin

1. Scale to proportion of image size

Hi all,

I want to be able to batch a process that pastes a selection over an
existing image (no worries), centres the selection (no problem here either)
and then scales the selection to, say, 90% of the original image width
(large problem).

I'm no PS expert but use it daily for relatively simple stuff so any help
here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
David E

2. stupid gnuplot questions

3. Keep X and Y axis at the same scale in 3D plot

4. Postscript-to-Laserjet (was: Re: PostScript-to-HPGL Converter Needed!)

5. Scaling bitmap, keeping lines and text clear.

6. gif to bitmap

7. To keep or not to keep...

8. glTexture2D speed?

9. How to keep the Proportion of a Form on all different Screenresolutions ?

10. Size and Proportion in Web Graphics

11. Cropping and constrain proportions

12. Human proportions

13. Lossless JPG crop at set size or proportion?