Pagemaker 7 and Windows 2000-can't make PDF

Pagemaker 7 and Windows 2000-can't make PDF

Post by James Blu » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:52:54

For a newsletter, my wife was running Pagemaker 7.0 and exporting the result
to PDF. Under Windows 98, it worked fine. I recently upgraded to Windows
2000 and making a PDF fails. The postscript gets made, but I get an error
box saying the postscript couldn't be sent to Adobe Distiller.

I've made a clean install of PM  and Distiller on Windows 2000 and on
Windows 98 on a dual-boot system. The W98 installation makes the PDF with no
problem other than font substitution.

I know almost nothing about PM, but I'm the family computer expert, so I'm
asking what might be the problem. Thanks for any help

Here's the log file in case it helps:

%%[ Warning: Times-Italic not found, using Font Substitution. Font cannot be
embedded.]%%
%%[ Warning: Times-Roman not found, using Font Substitution. Font cannot be
embedded.]%%
%%[ Warning: Times-BoldItalic not found, using Font Substitution. Font
cannot be embedded.]%%
%%[ Warning: Times-Bold not found, using Font Substitution. Font cannot be
embedded.]%%
%%[ Error: typecheck; OffendingCommand: setcolor ]%%

Stack:
0.512
-mark-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Pagemaker 7 and Windows 2000-can't make PDF

Post by Lyn Egglest » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:55:33

The problem and its solution is described here at the Adobe Knowledgebase:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f392.htm

and more info here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f35e.htm

Pagemaker 7 and Windows 2000-can't make PDF

Post by James Blu » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:40:59

Thanks for the reply.

The second URL tells one to deselect "Do not send fonts to Distiller". I had
already done that.

The first URL gives three "Solutions".
I had already done #2, changing Distiller's+ Job Options to Warn and
Continue if PM cannot embed fonts.
#3 suggests installing Helvetica and Times, but I don't have them available.
I  tried #1, telling PM not to embed Helvetica or Times fonts.

However, PM still stops after making the Postscript, saying it can't send to
Distiller.

Further suggestions welcome.

**********

Quote:> The problem and its solution is described here at the Adobe Knowledgebase:

> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f392.htm

> and more info here:

> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f35e.htm

Pagemaker 7 and Windows 2000-can't make PDF

Post by Dick Marguli » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:37:02

James,

I haven't been following this thread, but a few things come to mind:

1. Is this a huge job? It doesn't need to be a lot of pages; it might
just be a lot of EPS graphics, big images, complex pages .... If so, you
need a lot of _contiguous_ free disk space (a scratch partition is
helpful). Defragging may be in order. Can you print a simple one-page
letter, for example?

2. In Distiller > Settings > Font Locations, ensure that you are
pointing to all your font directories, particularly if you have fonts
hiding under the PageMaker directory hierarchy. I guarantee you have
Helvetica and Times somewhere on your computer, even if they are
deactivated in ATM. Make sure Distiller can see them.

3. Is Distiller installed properly? Check your Printers folder to ensure
Distiller is there.

4. Have you selected the Distiller PPD in the PM Print dialog (not
absolutely necessary in all cases, but helpful in most cases)?

Those are just off the top of my head. If you've already covered them,
never mind ;-)

Dick

> Thanks for the reply.

> The second URL tells one to deselect "Do not send fonts to Distiller". I had
> already done that.

> The first URL gives three "Solutions".
> I had already done #2, changing Distiller's+ Job Options to Warn and
> Continue if PM cannot embed fonts.
> #3 suggests installing Helvetica and Times, but I don't have them available.
> I  tried #1, telling PM not to embed Helvetica or Times fonts.

> However, PM still stops after making the Postscript, saying it can't send to
> Distiller.

> Further suggestions welcome.

> **********

>>The problem and its solution is described here at the Adobe Knowledgebase:

>>http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f392.htm

>>and more info here:

>>http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f35e.htm

1. Question About Making PDF's W/ Pagemaker

My old version of Pagemaker used to make a 3MEG PDF file of a catalog
I use. The new version of Pagemaker is making the same file 15Meg?
What can be causing this and is there a way to correct it.  File is
the same.

Thanks
Brian

2. multiple pictures->3d?

3. PM, PDF and Windows 2000

4. magnetic wand tool

5. Pagemaker 7 / Windows 2000 network saving problem

6. Topas and DPS-PAR

7. Pagemaker 6.5/7.0 Windows 2000 FAQ

8. Difficult vertex rotation problem

9. How to get Postscript files from Pagemaker 6.5plus on Windows 2000

10. Pagemaker and Windows 2000

11. Coverting Publisher 2000 to Pagemaker 7 problem...won't save doc

12. I've got windows 2000....