exporting multiple documents into one PDF

exporting multiple documents into one PDF

Post by bcartis » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:07:27

Is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from multiple documents?

Here's what I've done without any luck - I have gathered the publications
using the Utilities/Book command.  I have gone to File/Export/Adobe PDF but
my problem is that I only want to include a few pages from each publication
in the PDF, not all the pages.  When I go to Pages/Ranges, and type in the
page numbers/ranges that I want and try to export them, it says "the current
page range does not contain acceptable values".  That seems to be because
the pages I entered aren't all in the current publication, but they are in
the publications that are linked to the first one to create the book.  So my
question is, is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from
multiple documents?  If it is possible, how?

Post by daytrippe » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:48:44

>Is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from multiple documents?

>Here's what I've done without any luck - I have gathered the publications
>using the Utilities/Book command.  I have gone to File/Export/Adobe PDF but
>my problem is that I only want to include a few pages from each publication
>in the PDF, not all the pages.  When I go to Pages/Ranges, and type in the
>page numbers/ranges that I want and try to export them, it says "the current
>page range does not contain acceptable values".  That seems to be because
>the pages I entered aren't all in the current publication, but they are in
>the publications that are linked to the first one to create the book.  So my
>question is, is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from
>multiple documents?  If it is possible, how?

Well, there's always the tried and true way: open a new document, then open
the first document you want to strip some pages from, extract the individual
pages (as sets if they are consecutive) to files, then pull them into the new
document and insert them in the desired order.

It ain't automagic, that's for sure, but I routinely do this and it works...

/daytripper

exporting multiple documents into one PDF

Post by Pegg » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 13:48:06

Greetings --

> >Is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from multiple
documents?

> >Here's what I've done without any luck - I have gathered the publications
> >using the Utilities/Book command.  I have gone to File/Export/Adobe PDF
but
> >my problem is that I only want to include a few pages from each
publication
> >in the PDF, not all the pages.  When I go to Pages/Ranges, and type in
the
> >page numbers/ranges that I want and try to export them, it says "the
current
> >page range does not contain acceptable values".  That seems to be because
> >the pages I entered aren't all in the current publication, but they are
in
> >the publications that are linked to the first one to create the book.  So
my
> >question is, is it possible to create a PDF of only select pages from
> >multiple documents?  If it is possible, how?

> Well, there's always the tried and true way: open a new document, then
open
> the first document you want to strip some pages from, extract the
individual
> pages (as sets if they are consecutive) to files, then pull them into the
new
> document and insert them in the desired order.

> It ain't automagic, that's for sure, but I routinely do this and it
works...

> /daytripper

I would think the way to go would be to PDF the pages in question: Doc A, pp
1-8; Doc B, pp 10-11; Doc C, pp 1-3, for example. Then assemble the PDF into
one file using the add pages command in Acrobat - or place the PDF in a new
Pagemaker file. Depends on what sort of page numbering you want to preserve.

Peggy

1. Converting multiple JPEGs into a PDF document?

Thanks.  I don't have Quark or a similar page layout program, but after
some further experimentation I discover that I can accomplish the same
thing using iView MediaPro as follows:

(Side note:  Despite multiple postings to this NG from me praising
iView, I'm really not trying to use the NG as a vehicle for promoting
iView.  I just happen to be a user of it, and find it extremely useful.)

1)  Open an iView catalog containing the 50 JPEGs (or if they aren't
already cataloged, drag and drop a folder containing them onto the iView
icon, which auto-creates a catalog).

2)  Select, sort, rename, otherwise modify the JPEGs as desired in the
iView thumbnails window.

3)  Print the selected images supposedly to PDF from iView, using the
Media view and selected options in the iView Print window.

4)  For some reason, this actually creates a Postscript file rather than
a PDF file (and a remarkably large one -- 30 to 50 times larger than the
final PDF file).  Distill this Postscript file to PDF using Adobe
Distiller.

Notes:

*  You don't have to "place" the 50 images individually, just drag the
folder onto iView; and when you print, the selected images keep the
order they have in the iView thumbnails window.

*  Assembling the 55 images in this fashion led to a 2 MB  final PDF
file.  When I used Acrobat 5.0 to first batch convert the 55 images to
individual PDF files, and then batch-joined all these files into a
single PDF document (with a lot of trouble keeping them in the right
order), I ended up with a 5 MB PDF document.  Not clear why . . .

2. PostScript to TIFF converter?

3. Problem exporting PM document into PDF format

4. ANNOUNCE : MAJOR UPDATE TO UHFGOODS GD SUPERLINKS!!!

5. multiple page to one document

6. Glassy TPanel?

7. "Exporting a PDF file requires a Postscript Printer driver ...please install one

8. Is Director output multi-platform?

9. drawing multiple dynamic lightmaps one one primitive

10. pdf document

11. PDF documents with Type 3 fonts

12. Printing a Protected Acrobat PDF document?

13. Copying Graphics from Acrobat PDF documents?