wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dennis Herric » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:33:34

I'm fairly new to pagemaker....

I have PM 7 (XP machine) with a 24 page booklet (6 sheets of paper). When I
print the entire booklet (100% of it in Times New Roman) there are 5 words
on page 10 that ALWAYS print in a bold different font. I've selected the
entire paragraph and changed the font and the size, then changed back and it
still prints wrong when I print the booklet. If I print the page
individually it prints fine. I print as a booklet and the same 5 words are
always wrong.

What's the problem? I'm ready to ditch this and go back to Word!!!!!!!! (and
frustration with Word was what made me get PM!!)

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dick Marguli » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:43:22

What happens when you place your cursor inside the five words? Look at
the Control Palette and see if the font or any of its attributes changes
there.

You may also be experiencing a problem that can occur when corrupted
text is copied or imported from Word. You may want to delete seven words
(starting a word before and ending a word after your five words) and
retype them. This ought to solve the problem in any case.

> I'm fairly new to pagemaker....

> I have PM 7 (XP machine) with a 24 page booklet (6 sheets of paper). When I
> print the entire booklet (100% of it in Times New Roman) there are 5 words
> on page 10 that ALWAYS print in a bold different font. I've selected the
> entire paragraph and changed the font and the size, then changed back and it
> still prints wrong when I print the booklet. If I print the page
> individually it prints fine. I print as a booklet and the same 5 words are
> always wrong.

> What's the problem? I'm ready to ditch this and go back to Word!!!!!!!! (and
> frustration with Word was what made me get PM!!)

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dennis Herric » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:46:11

Quote:> What happens when you place your cursor inside the five words? Look at
> the Control Palette and see if the font or any of its attributes changes
> there.

Nope. They all stay the same. I've moved the cursor down the page and
they're all the same for the page.

I'd assume if they were different then when I printed the page separately
they'd be different. Since this problem is ONLY when I print the booklet,
that's what's got me puzzled.

Quote:> You may also be experiencing a problem that can occur when corrupted
> text is copied or imported from Word. You may want to delete seven words
> (starting a word before and ending a word after your five words) and
> retype them. This ought to solve the problem in any case.

I'l;l try this next

thanks for the help.

Post by Dennis Herric » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:34:43

Quote:> You may also be experiencing a problem that can occur when corrupted
> text is copied or imported from Word. You may want to delete seven words
> (starting a word before and ending a word after your five words) and
> retype them. This ought to solve the problem in any case.

Did this also and it made no difference. Still prints with the error every
time I print the booklet, but prints fine if I do the single page. Alwasy
the same words in bold with wrong font (only printed - alwasy looks correct
on screen)

Deadlines being what they are, I had to go with the error!! Wasn't time to
take it to Word and see if that would work.

Very frustrating taking the time to learn this program only to have this
kind of error.....

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dick Marguli » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:17:35

>>You may also be experiencing a problem that can occur when corrupted
>>text is copied or imported from Word. You may want to delete seven words
>>(starting a word before and ending a word after your five words) and
>>retype them. This ought to solve the problem in any case.

> Did this also and it made no difference. Still prints with the error every
> time I print the booklet, but prints fine if I do the single page. Alwasy
> the same words in bold with wrong font (only printed - alwasy looks correct
> on screen)

> Deadlines being what they are, I had to go with the error!! Wasn't time to
> take it to Word and see if that would work.

> Very frustrating taking the time to learn this program only to have this
> kind of error.....

Well, you've certainly got me stumped. All I can say is I tried. Sorry
it didn't help.

Dick

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dennis Herric » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:35:36

thanks for these suggestions. The conference for which I had to print the
booklet is starting today, so there won't be time for a while, but I'll get
back to it.

Quote:> Couple of things to try, just to see what happens:

> Delete those five words entirely and print. Does it change five other
> words?

> Try changing the font for the entire booklet? Maybe New Century
> Schoolbook <which I prefer to Times anyway:->.

> Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the font itself. <Delete
> entirely from your computer and reinstall clean.>

> Uninstall your font and install a different Times Roman font <there
> are dozens of them.>

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Pegg » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:05:02

Greetings --

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:33:34 -0500, "Dennis Herrick"

> >I'm fairly new to pagemaker....

> >I have PM 7 (XP machine) with a 24 page booklet (6 sheets of paper). When
> >print the entire booklet (100% of it in Times New Roman) there are 5
words
> >on page 10 that ALWAYS print in a bold different font. I've selected the
> >entire paragraph and changed the font and the size, then changed back and
it
> >still prints wrong when I print the booklet. If I print the page
> >individually it prints fine. I print as a booklet and the same 5 words
are
> >always wrong.

<snipped>

I just had a similar problem in Indesign, and the source of my trouble was a
character style ("strong") applied in the original Word document. I know PM
doesn't recognize character styles, but I wonder if it's reading the tags
somehow.

Just a thought ...

Peggy

wrong font for 5 words

Post by Dick Marguli » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:25:18

> Greetings --

>>On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:33:34 -0500, "Dennis Herrick"

>>>I'm fairly new to pagemaker....

>>>I have PM 7 (XP machine) with a 24 page booklet (6 sheets of paper). When

>>>print the entire booklet (100% of it in Times New Roman) there are 5

> words

>>>on page 10 that ALWAYS print in a bold different font. I've selected the
>>>entire paragraph and changed the font and the size, then changed back and

> it

>>>still prints wrong when I print the booklet. If I print the page
>>>individually it prints fine. I print as a booklet and the same 5 words

> are

>>>always wrong.

> <snipped>

> I just had a similar problem in Indesign, and the source of my trouble was a
> character style ("strong") applied in the original Word document. I know PM
> doesn't recognize character styles, but I wonder if it's reading the tags
> somehow.

> Just a thought ...

Peggy,

I had him delete starting from the word preceding and ending after the
word following, then retyping the missing words, and the problem recurred.

I know that in Word it is easy for the "shadow" setting to be on
(usually if someone has pasted in text from PowerPoint), and this
results in "double-striking" the characters. That was my first thought
and the reason for my suggestion; but apparently that wasn't the root of
the problem.

Dick

1. Changing font characteristics word-by-word in a block of wrapped text

I have a lot of experience drawing text to canvases (both screen and
printer). However, I am faced with recreating the static text on some
government forms that include blocks of text within which certain words are
highlighted by bold, italic, underline and sometimes even a font family
change.

I usually use the DrawText function to handle wrapped text blocks, and I was
hoping there was a way to pass it (or another API call) RichText or
something similar to achieve the desired results -- but it appears not to be
available in the API.

Have I missed something in the API? Or, am I going to have to write my own
routine for this? If so -- any suggestions?

Basically I need something where I can pass a canvas, a string of tagged
text, and a TRect for the wrapping boundary, and have it output something
like:

"This is some test text in which this word is *BOLD*
and another word might be *ITALIC* and the whole
thing wraps to a rectangle."

Thanks,
Jeff Hamblin

2. Fade from wireframe->shaded

3. Font not found/wrong font size

4. Temperature colour scale ?

5. freehand: wrong colors from postscript fonts

6. Gif and LZW

7. wrong fonts on Dream3D tabs

8. graph fitting

9. wrong fonts in corel eps

10. Canvas.TextExtent for italic fonts returns wrong results

11. Metafiles and wrong font on HP Laserjet 2100

12. font problem when importing from MS Word