DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > > Not quite. You do not have keyboard access to the pulldown menus. Some
> > > commands have quick-keys.. but you have to memeorize them.

> > now THIS is hilarious--to see a PeeCee patriot complaining about how "with
> > that non-PeeCee system over there, you have to MEMORIZE key sequences....."

> > Unlike, of course, where you came from--the DOS world.  Right?

> Um, I do not have DOS on my computer; unless you count the small shell
> ability built into NT. But, at least there, it is a uniform code; and not
> up to the whim of any software writer.

> Quick, in Pagemaker 65, what is the keyboard access to get to the Polygon
> Control tablet?  It's trivial on the PC.. not so on the Mac.

This is trivial, period. Unless you are constantly creating polygons while
entering text. I get this polygon panel up by double clicking the polygon
tool.

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Have any of these companies doubled their marketshare? Apple has. This is not
> > only about the iMac. The G3 series also is very succesful.

> Compare Dell's growth in total $$$ over the last 10 years, to Apple.As you
> asked, "have you seen the Apple numbers lately?". Yes, I have. They are
> doing well for apple.. but not compared to many other brands.

They are doing better than any other company at the moment.

Quote:> Besides, doubling one's market share is easy when they don't have much of
> a market share.

Do you know the numbers? What share of the market does DELL have?

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > > And, the only thing Mac has ever been able to show with any shred of
> > > evidence, is that the G3 is faster in some obscure, synethetic "bytemark";
> > > that has no proven relevence to real applications.  In addition, even if
> > > the processor itself is faster, it doens't mean squat if it's system
> > > architecture can't keep up with it. An ATI rage pro videocard simply ain't
> > > going to cut it in today's world.

> > I see you are quite worried about the news that Apple has doubled it's
> > marketshare and that the iMac is the bestselling computer.  You sound quite
> > desperate repeating hashed out old "arguments".

> Not true at all. Hopefully Apple can get their head out of their ass; and
> stop their backwards slide. However, they currently are giving up the high
> end, in an attempt to go mass market in teh low end. Evidence of this is
> seen in their neo-abandonment of SCSI ultrawide; use of pathetic video
> cards, etc.

Apple has committed itself to Firewire. Some time in the future PCs will
follow. If you insist on SCSI UW that's no problem, just plug in a PCI card.

Quote:> Personally, I hope they use the $$ wisely, and produce better G3 servers.

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Shel » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I don't mind you boys having a pissing contest of sorts, just please mop up
when you're done.

BTW, be sure to let me know when you figure out who's REALLY IS bigger.  :)

-- Shelle

Michelle Feigen                    shelle AT enteract DOT com
shelle AT shelle DOT com
        http COLON SLASH SLASH www DOT shelle DOT com
"I alienate more people before 9:00am than Congress
                                 can do in an entire session"

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by John Bobinchec » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Get the contracts out of the*book, have your clients sign them, and
explain the situation when it comes up.

Several of my clients are in Financial Services, and data changes often.
I've sent film three times for the same job as the client requested.

I consider it part of my job to explain what is going on with my clients.  I
let them know how I think the job will work, and give them estimates (time &
cost).  They all know the time to make cheap changes is over when the film
is sent, and the really expensive ones come after the printer has the job.

I don't know how long you have been doing this, but sooner or later you'll
get burned if you don't protect yourself.

--
 - John Bobincheck
   rocket at ccnet dot com

Post by Brandon Blatch » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>In article

>> >btw: Under MacOS, how do you specificy if a folder will open in the SAME
>> >window.. or how do you change the format/look of ALL the windows at the
>> >same time?  For example, let us say you wished to make all windows to open
>> >up as a list, sorted by Name, then by Date created.. while showing
>> >attributes, file size, date created..

>> Probably under the View Options command in the Finder in Mac OS 8 and up.

>> >Luckily, since MacOS still can't figure out how to do such a trivial
>> >thing.. there are non-Apple programs/utilities that give this
>> >functionality that any OS *OUGHT* to have.

>> You're outta date.

>"Probably". Welp, you'ld guess wrong. View Options only applies to the
>specific folder that you are currently active in. There is no option to
>set that the "default" for all folders.

Yes there is. I simply got the actual mechanics wrong. See the post from
soup2nuts.

Quote:>Nor, does it give you an option
>to open a new folder in the same window ( instead of opening a new one ).

Yet somehow people manage to get work done. Go figure. We can go back and
forth with this *and it won't solve a thing. My only point was that
you were wrong about some things you talking about it.

--
-Brandon

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by John Bobinchec » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It's marketed exclusively to people who are looking to get into the computer
revolution without taxing braincells.  It seems to be great for someone like
my Grandmother, but I could never recommend one to anyone else.

--
 - John Bobincheck
   rocket at ccnet dot com

>> > Yes, you're wrong. The Mac OS gets an upgrade every half year.

>> Yea, I hate having to upgrade the OS on this mac every half year. What's
>> even worse is they charge you $$ to fix the bugs!

>Wrong again. Nobody forces you to upgrade every half year. You can if you
want
>to. Apple does _not_ charge for bug fixes. The 8.1 update was free as was
the
>8.5.1 update. Get your facts before posting.

>> The iMac is a
>> > new paradigm (not an upgrade) that has yet to be matched by the PC
world.

>> *yawn*

>Are they slow or what?

>> Not at all. It's just the same old, stuck in a cute little box to woe
>> people who care more about fashion than function. It's technology is a
>> major backwards step: Old decrepid video; poor monitor.. In reality, it
>> only "saves" two cables, the video and the monitor power cable. Big
>> freaking whoop. You have to add those back for a USB floppy or Zipdrive.

>You're stuck in old thinking. This is a network computer made to perform
well
>in a network or to access the internet. That's why it hat fast ethernet
buitl
>in. BTW: the monitor is better than most entry level PC monitors. The video
>board was upgraded recently I believe.

>> There is no reason for me to "upgrade" from my G3 tower to the Imac. Nor
>> would I even "upgrade" from this old Mac ( 604e ) to it.

>Apple doesn't  market this as an upgrade for high end Macs.

>--

>(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by John Bobinchec » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Send it as an output file (ps,prn,eps) and forget it!  Poll all the service
bureaus on this NG and find out this is the way to get the job done.

--
 - John Bobincheck
   rocket at ccnet dot com

>How can you lay out a page when what you see om screen isn't identical to
what
>is goint to be printed? Like I said: a single word can push a table or
image
>to the next page. How can you say this isn't a problem?

>--

>(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by John Bobinchec » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sure, this is not my first choice for a "net terminal"  there are way too
many sub $1000 Wintel units out there that could be upgraded if future needs
arise.  As for any other use on the mac platform, I would opt for the G3.

--
 - John Bobincheck
   rocket at ccnet dot com

>> It's marketed exclusively to people who are looking to get into the
computer
>> revolution without taxing braincells.  It seems to be great for someone
like
>> my Grandmother, but I could never recommend one to anyone else.

>> --
>>  - John Bobincheck
>>    rocket at ccnet dot com

>They won't thank you for it later either.

>BTW: This isn't just a "computer for kids and grandmothers". Quite a few
businesses
>make use of it too. It's rather effective in a network you see...

>--

>(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by John Bobinchec » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My response stands, it's defense of your platform that blinds you.

I can layout pages on a PC with fonts from 5 different vendors in both TT
and T1 format and be 100% sure it will print as sent.  What else would you
want your service bureau to do?

If the file is wrong, it is an error you made, and it would come back to you
incorrect anyway.  We all know operator error's are platform independent.

Although it may not seem like it to you, NT is a very competent platform.
This is a time when any competent user can switch platforms and be effective
in less than one day.
--
 - John Bobincheck
   rocket at ccnet dot com

Post by soup2nu » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Nor, does it give you an option
> > to open a new folder in the same window ( instead of opening a new one ).

> A behavior, IMHO, which is utterly ridiculous and, for the casual or
> beginner user, absolutely confusing.

Although this platform argument is silly (if  you can build a profitable
business using a certain platform, that platform must be OK, whatever it
is) I'll just mention here that:

- I use both Mac and NT, and though I prefer the Mac, I like having the
option of opening a folder in the same window like NT. Saves space. Just
because it's from Windows doesn't mean it's a bad idea (otherwise you have
to hate everything that appeared on Windows first like Themes, automatic
disk diagnostics after a crash, etc).

- You can drill down inside folders in a single window on the Mac by
flipping down the hierarchical triangles in list view. Not as confusing as
that awful Windows Explorer.

s2n

Post by Steve » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> It's marketed exclusively to people who are looking to get into the computer
> revolution without taxing braincells.  It seems to be great for someone like
> my Grandmother, but I could never recommend one to anyone else.

> --
>  - John Bobincheck
>    rocket at ccnet dot com

They won't thank you for it later either.

BTW: This isn't just a "computer for kids and grandmothers". Quite a few businesses
make use of it too. It's rather effective in a network you see...

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Send it as an output file (ps,prn,eps) and forget it!  Poll all the service
> bureaus on this NG and find out this is the way to get the job done.

> --
>  - John Bobincheck
>    rocket at ccnet dot com

> >How can you lay out a page when what you see om screen isn't identical to
> what
> >is goint to be printed? Like I said: a single word can push a table or
> image
> >to the next page. How can you say this isn't a problem?

> >--

> >(remove * if present)

We've already been there. That's if all you want is have it printed and you
are 100% sure nothings wrong with it. Read back. I was responding to the
situation Lupine described.

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Sure, this is not my first choice for a "net terminal"  there are way too
> many sub $1000 Wintel units out there that could be upgraded if future needs
> arise.

And you tell me _I_ am blinded?

Quote:> As for any other use on the mac platform, I would opt for the G3.

--

(remove * if present)

DTP Independent Contractor question

Post by Steve » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> My response stands, it's defense of your platform that blinds you.

No, it is not. Take a look at what my initial statements was.

Quote:> I can layout pages on a PC with fonts from 5 different vendors in both TT
> and T1 format and be 100% sure it will print as sent.  What else would you
> want your service bureau to do?

If there's no need to substitute fonts there's no problem obviously.

Quote:> If the file is wrong, it is an error you made, and it would come back to you
> incorrect anyway.  We all know operator error's are platform independent.

This obviously depends on the service bureau. Some simple mistakes can be
easily fixed at the SB saving money on both sides.

Quote:> Although it may not seem like it to you, NT is a very competent platform.

Where did I say anything about NT?

Quote:> This is a time when any competent user can switch platforms and be effective
> in less than one day.

Still font-substitution is not without peril.

--

(remove * if present)