Converting PM 6.0 >>> 6.5

Post by macey.. » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

While trying to open a PM 6 document with PM 6.5, I get the error below.
The document then fails to open. I'm trying to save as 6.5 so I can take
advantage of the 'save for service provider' feature.

An unused data table was discarded

Any ideas of what to look for in my PM 6.0 file?

Converting PM 6.0 >>> 6.5

Post by J. Costell » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I'm not certain what that error message means, but I have seen something
similar before.

My gut reaction would be to take the PM6.0 to a machine with PM6.0 installed
and try to open it and then resave it. Then take this file to the machine
with PM 6.5.

--
J. Costello

Quote:> While trying to open a PM 6 document with PM 6.5, I get the error below.

Post by Helpful Harr » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> While trying to open a PM 6 document with PM 6.5, I get the error below.
> The document then fails to open. I'm trying to save as 6.5 so I can take
> advantage of the 'save for service provider' feature.

> An unused data table was discarded

> Any ideas of what to look for in my PM 6.0 file?

PageMaker tends to keep track of all sorts of "rubbish" in it's "Data
Table" - including things like links to placed images that have since
been deleted and certain changes to pages/text/images.  When you do a
"Save As" instead of a normal "Save", PageMaker usually cleans up the
Data Table to get rid of any unused items.

Changes in the way version PageMaker 6.5 does various things may also
mean that some things stored in the Data Table of a 6.0 document are no
longer needed in a 6.5 document.

I think that your message just means that version 6.5 is ignoring the
data in the Data Table related to items that no longer exist in the
document.  This is no loss, since the images, etc. have been deleted
and you're happy with your document as it is, or that information is no
longer needed when using PageMaker 6.5.

If the document isn't too large, you can go through the document
page-by-page (or do a printout) and that check everything still looks
right.  Keep a copy of the old 6.0 version just in case, but you'll
probably find that everything is fine.   :o)

If you're really worried, try going back to PageMaker 6.0 and using
"Save As" (in the File menu) to create a new copy of your document.
Then try opeing that up in PageMaker 6.5.  You may find the message
disappears - it'll depend on what you've done in your document that may
have been changed between PageMaker 6.0 and 6.5.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."